Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

This old + cool Wilke hat bucket belongs to a friend in Germany.

6259366109_c41008fe10_o.jpg

The Wilke logo is from the Guben time period but I think these buckets are late 1950s maybe 1960s. Some company acquired the name because Wilke Guben didn't survive WWII.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Yes Steve, it was an German politician
Political career [edit]
Felix von Eckardt 1961 with spiritual dignitaries, Bonn

1952, began his political career when he took over in February, the Head of Press and Information Office of the Federal Government in Bonn. He was in fact government spokesman. From May 1955 to 1956 he acted as an observer at the United Nations in New York. Von Eckardt, who was considered a confidant of Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, these accompanied on his trip to Moscow in September 1955. In July 1956 he was again government spokesman. With generally recognized diplomatic skills he imparted in the public policy of Adenauer.

From 1958 to 1965, in von Eckardt Permanent State Secretary Federal Chancellery. At first he was speaker of the federal government, from 1962 Agent of the Federal Government in Berlin.

From 1965 to 1972 Eckhardt was a member of the German Bundestag. It was in 1965 for the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) was elected the first time a direct mandate in the electoral district of Wilhelmshaven.

Since 1973 he has lived, who was also known for its west-collection in Hamburg. He died in 1979 of a heart attack on Capri.
The Hat was a Gift from USA Präsident Lyndon B. Johnson to Eckardt

Manfred, Thank you for the background info! Again a great find!

Italian-Wiseguy, Nice Wegener Homburg! Is the liner stitched or glued? This might help to narrow it down a bit.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
The liner is stitched with long withe threads, under the headband there's a stamped number which reads 0945/51 (not sure of the 1);
and a semi-cancelled stamp which looks like 11:22 repeated three times, this way:
11:22

hope this helps, ciao!! and thank you! :)

Last edited:
I don't think I have any Wegeners with a date stamp on the inside of the sweatband. When the date is stamped in a German hat it is usually straight forward like this example.

6070791379_d3fe94dc51_b.jpg

If the liner is stitched my guess would be mid to late 1950s early 1960s.

davidraphael

Practically Family
The liner is stitched with long withe threads, under the headband there's a stamped number which reads 0945/51 (not sure of the 1);
and a semi-cancelled stamp which looks like 11:22 repeated three times, this way:

hope this helps, ciao!! and thank you! :)

I just looked at my sweatband on my Peschel Homburg and it also has 3 sets of numbers:

5:16

and my Chisnall also has something similar:
H-E-(unreadable)
I-I-(unreadable)
H-E-(unreadable)

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I just looked at my sweatband on my Peschel Homburg and it also has 3 sets of numbers:

and my Chisnall also has something similar:
H-E-(unreadable)
I-I-(unreadable)
H-E-(unreadable)

The 5:16 is probably a continuous production number of the sweat band leather manufacturer
the others do not know maybe, Steve knows something

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
photos of my new Hückel, the condition is new. very small tiny ribbon. instead pinches the front side pinches.
This is the original state. The liner is stitched. under the Sweatband a stamp with FLEXIBLE. No Paper label inside.
What do you mean Steve

hckels.jpg

hckels1.jpg

hckels2.jpg

hckels3.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Manfred, Another great find! The ribbon width and bow treatment are super. It has a Western feel to it with the side dents and thinner ribbon. My guess is late 50s early to mid 1960s.

The "Flexible" is a model name that goes back to JHS (Neutitschein, Austria, Novy Jicin, Czech Republic) but at that time it was for Melone.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-huckel%c2%b4s-sohne-huckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page__view__findpost__p__467

5961792977_ae0b1b5703_b.jpg

Thanks Steve thats very intresting. with the age of the hat I think you're correct
I did not know that the concept " FLEXIBLE" has also been used for melons.

I have Photos from the Resistol i won on Ebay.
I post it in the New Hat Threat.
Your opinion is important to me, especially with respect to the gift of LBJohnson F.von Eckardt
Do you think the hat is from the 50s or 60s?

Manfred, Yes it does seem strange considering Melone are stiff hats. At that time there was a movement to market less rigid more self conforming Melone (Bowler, Derby). German Melone are less rigid compared to British Bowlers and American Derbies of that time period and earlier.

Does the Resistol have a stitched liner? It looks early to mid 1960s to me. Is the box original? I would also post photos of it on the Resistol thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari