Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a hat blocked in New York?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I'm on my way to New York this Friday, and was wondering if there were any affordable places to get a nice old Borsalino properly blocked. It's one of those XXXXX numbers, and it came rolled up in the wedge-shaped box. (I have no idea what year this is from -- I seem to remember that the serial number indicated the forties, but it looks much more like a fifties or sixties lid to me. The serial tag is gone, sigh.)

Anyway, a reputable place -- preferably in Manhattan or Brooklyn -- would be much appreciated. (I'm living in remote Mexico, where it's difficult to have these things done.)

Spellflower

Practically Family
I'm not sure if Bencraft blocks hats, but you could PM Besdor and ask, or just call.

I've had sweats replaced at a place called Van Dyke Hatters in Brooklyn. (The sign on the shop says Hats Plus, but the repair end of the business is Van Dyke). They did a decent job, and I believe they do reblocks and cleaning as well. I got their info from Gus's Hats in Manhattan, and they told my Van Dyke was about the only place in NYC that does repairs anymore.

Van Dyke is way down in Brooklyn:

Van Dyke Hatters
1368 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11230
(718) 377-3939

but an added incentive is that THE BEST PIZZA IN NYC is right down the street, and is worth the trip in its own right:

Di Fara Pizzeria
1424 Avenue J
Brooklyn, NY 11230
Phone: (718) 258-1367

To get there take the Q towards Coney Island and get off at Avenue J.

For detailed subway directions from your starting point check out hopstop.com.

Sounds like you have one of those lightweight rollup Borsalinos, Visigoth.

When my (presumably) similar lid arrived here at the Caverns, it had apparently spent all but a matter of minutes over the past several years in that little wedge-shaped box. (Had to come out to get its picture taken, I assume.) So, it was quite wrinkly. But it took on a presentable appearance without too much trouble.

I mention this because I question whether blocking is the thing to do. But, as Spellflower said, our very own besdor of Bencraft would know best.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Thanks all!

Sounds as if Brooklyn is the way to go. And yes, Tony, I think it's definitely meant to be rolled and unrolled -- I'm using it as a traveling hat, in fact. I've put it into a nice shape, which I could live with, but there are a few things I can't do: widen the crown, for instance. And I can't get the brim to sit very well. I think having it blocked once would make it assume a decent shape every time I unrolled it.

Any idea what era these hats are from? I haven't seen many: they're all XXXXX, with a raw edge. And the felt's unusually thick.

Sounds like a different breed than mine, Visigoth. Mine has a a quite thin felt, has no Xes on its sweatband but does say "Lightweight" (in English, the rest of the embossing, including the retailer's mark, is in Italian).

As to era? I'm thinking no later than 1950s on mine. It has a Punti size tag, if that's much of a clue.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
On the same subject, I have a 1949 Dobbs Gay Prince that I recently got via Ebay, that definitely needs restoration. I've had Optimo in Chicago suggested, but if I can get a good job done in Brooklyn, I'd go for it. The hat needs cleaning, the sweatband replaced, and the edge stitching redone. Do you think Van Dyke could do it properly?

analogist

One of the Regulars
Brooklyn Hatters

For a new hat purchase, nobody beats Bencraft. For a blocking or cleaning, there is nobody who can do a proper job mainly because they do mostly black hats worn by the Orthodox Jewish community. The blocks are so stained that besdor tells me the hats face grave danger--unless they are black. The chance of dye transfer is high.

analogist

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Analogist is right about reblocking . Here in Brooklyn USA we sell thousands of black hats . When I have to block a tan colored hat , my heart trembles . I dont want to stain the hat as the the blocks are completely black from 60 years of use.
As for changing the leather sweatband , I have a store here called Palace Hats do it for us . I have Borsalino leathers that i get from the company when a hat needs the leather changed . The same goes for bands . So at least it's better parts but the workmanship is not that great. We used to do it all in house but we gave it up as it was too time consuming . Maybe one day we will start again.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Worth & Worth

Well, I dropped the hat off with Worth & Worth yesterday. They're doing a rush job -- blocking, brushing and up-sizing -- for $50. Not bad. Should be ready tomorrow.

I told them I was worried about blocks with black dye on them, and he was horrified: "We have special blocks for black hats!" They seem to separate things out nicely.

This Borsalino, according to him, is from the forties, with a "suede finish." He said that to make a hat of this quality today, he'd charge $700. It's not a travel hat -- he told me to be careful about creasing it too often in the same place, as it could ruin the finish.

I'll report on the results...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL