Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a tailor-made suit, part 2

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Both suits look very nice! It's interesting to see the commonalities between Hong Kong tailors, especially with the interior details. How heavy did they pad the shoulders? Did they use wadding or are they pads that sit on the shoulders?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Oscar Tong said:
:D Can you tell me more about this traditional Asian finish? It sounds intriguing.

Any half decent suit I had made in BKK over the last 25 years had sweat pads to lesson the impact of leakage in the underarm area of the suit (particularly in hot climes such as Down Under summers) and which saved wear on the suit as a result. It's like they always used to put the anti-slip band on the waist of the trousers. Ah the days of getting MTM suits ...:( :(

chalkstripe

New in Town
this was a really interesting and well-documented plunge into HK tailoring. I have to second that the suit, esp the jacket, didn't seem to be as form-fitting as a custom garment should be.

I would also love to be able to have a suit brand of that name in my wardrobe. Oh Doc.

I'm also curious as to what the typical HK/Asian linings typically look like.

59Lark

Practically Family
vancouver last custom tailor shop closes

Watching your suit made for you in hong kong, gave me a mental flash back to a cbc news program on vancouver last custom tailor shop, modern tailors, in business over 90 years, they have made suits for sean connery and nat king cole, too bad you didnt get a suit, made by the brothers that run that shop, would have been a real new period piece. Well dont flew about the grand father and clown comments, my best story is when i lent my brother my black pin strip double breasted suit and my black biltmore, for a costume party, everyone said where did you get the neat ganster clothes and my brother says gangster , these are my brothers good clothes. here in hot wet Canada southern ontario. 59Lark.:eek:fftopic:

Buddy

New in Town
59Lark said:
Watching your suit made for you in hong kong, gave me a mental flash back to a cbc news program on vancouver last custom tailor shop, modern tailors, in business over 90 years, they have made suits for sean connery and nat king cole, too bad you didnt get a suit, made by the brothers that run that shop, would have been a real new period piece. Well dont flew about the grand father and clown comments, my best story is when i lent my brother my black pin strip double breasted suit and my black biltmore, for a costume party, everyone said where did you get the neat ganster clothes and my brother says gangster , these are my brothers good clothes. here in hot wet Canada southern ontario. 59Lark.:eek:fftopic:
Actually, 59Lark, we have a couple of new bespoke tailors - do the design and finishing by hand at something like $5K a suit.

We also have a number of MTM shops, and a handful of good local tailors. I'm having a bland two-button notch tuxedo recut into something a little more fitting for less than $300.

For the ultimate value in MTM, though, there are a couple of BKK tailors who come through each year to measure and show fabrics. I decided to give one a try this year so I'm waiting on a one button notch black suit with high waisted trousers, and about five shirts. If they turn out to be reasonable quality, I'll just reorder off the web. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner