Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting mold out of a leather jacket - SOLVED

VintageTQ

New in Town
I've been trying to get some mold out of some old vintage leather jackets, one or 2 of them were quite bad and I tried various ways, some after researching on here, but to no avail.

Anyway I thought I would share this on here as I managed to find a simple solution that worked.

First of all wiping the surface of the jackets with a damp cloth to remove the sight of any mold. Then putting in an air tight plastic bag (preferably one of those storage bags that you can suck all the air out).

After about 2 weeks the jackets came out and none of the mold had returned, and didn't return once re-exposed to normal conditions.

Hope this is of help to someone

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting and innovative approach (at least to me). Turns out mold needs oxygen to survive, so vacuum should indeed kill it over some time. Watch out for any surviving spores and possible re-growth later on, but overall very cool.

I wonder if going over the jacket with a mix of vinegar and water first would help any, or would it just smell like Easter eggs once you pull it out of the bag in 2 weeks.

Very interesting and innovative approach (at least to me). Turns out mold needs oxygen to survive, so vacuum should indeed kill it over some time. Watch out for any surviving spores and possible re-growth later on, but overall very cool.
Scary thought but we swim in a sea of mold. It is ever present in the air we breath....as with most things the critical factor is type of mold and concentration. Mold requires 3 things, moisture, food source, and air. The bad news is that most things can be a food source and it does not need much water. But if you eliminate one thing the mold will die....usually it is the water source that can be eliminated.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i clean mold on my leather jacket and gloves with vinegar water, moldy smell on the liner is also gone, but I air it out until vinegar smell is gone 3 days or so.

hieu

A-List Customer
Got a real stinker that still smelled very moldy after vinegar treatment. Going to try OP's method and report back.

20230323_181512.jpg

Last edited:

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
I have found a light mixture of vinegar and water to remove the visible mold, followed by some serious time on a hanger outside in the sun works the best. Sunshine and fresh air solve most of life's problems....... I have sorted out some STINKERS this way. Imagine how these smelled.....
ca186941-41fe-4d2f-9061-2186da5efbdc.jpeg
IMG_1302.jpg

hieu

A-List Customer
I have found a light mixture of vinegar and water to remove the visible mold, followed by some serious time on a hanger outside in the sun works the best. Sunshine and fresh air solve most of life's problems....... I have sorted out some STINKERS this way. Imagine how these smelled..... View attachment 500811 View attachment 500812
Those are some nasty looking jackets haha :) thank you for the recommendation. I think I'll try this next if the smell isn't fully gone.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Would the vacuum method work on perfumed soaked jackets?
Try putting the jacket in a box, also placing an open box of baking soda in there with it. Seal it up and leave it for a week. If its really bad, dump the whole box of baking soda in the bottom of the box and then put the jacket in. Patience is key.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yup
Try putting the jacket in a box, also placing an open box of baking soda in there with it. Seal it up and leave it for a week. If its really bad, dump the whole box of baking soda in the bottom of the box and then put the jacket in. Patience is key.
the baking soda always worked for me. I've got this really stubborn one that's been hanging for a year now. I've never place the baking soda in a closed off bag with it though, gonna give that a try. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm