Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the nerve...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
You should see some of the hats on ebay that the sellers consider cowboy hats, and also fedoras. They get them mixed up and sometimes even other hats and caps are referred to as fedoras. I have seen stingy brims referred to as "gangster" hats.

Ours has largely been a non-hat wearing society and many folks today don't know what they are looking at and don't know the difference. If the brim is larger than a stingy brim, it is a "cowboy" hat.

karol

Michael D

Familiar Face
About 20 years ago I decide to start wearing hats everyday to work. I had always liked wearing hats since I was a kid but it wasn't until I was 30 that I decided to go for it completely.

At the time I was riding the bus to and from work each day. Living in Denver it made good sense to wear a hat since I spent quite a bit of time outside waiting for buses. They say you lose most of your body heat from the top of your head. Besides keeping me warm it also kept the snow off of my head. There were so many times when I was so glad to be wearing a hat, standing out in the cold/snow waiting for the bus (which would be late in the snow, of course).

During the summer I just changed my head gear to a straw hat. This was also a practical choice because it keeps you cool in the summer heat, helps prevent sunstroke and it protects against skin cancer in the thinner air of the Mile High City.

So even though I was making a stylish statement I was also being practical (that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ) :)

I took the bus for 16 years. Now that I drive to work I still wear a hat because I like to, it's a habit and I like that way it looks.

BTW, I'm a guitar-playing singer on the side and wearing a hat has been my signature look for a long time.

When I made that decision 20 years ago to wear a hat everyday I was a little nervous about what comments I'd get. I've got to say that I don't remember the negative comments and I barely remember the positive ones (but at least I remember them. That's pretty good for a guy my age.) :)

Mike

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Exactly - I notice that a hat just keeps my head warmer. Our noggins have quite alot of bloodflow going to them, and virtually no protecton, in comparison to the other parts of our bodies. About 1/3 of our lost bodyheat is lost from the head. As practical as it is stylish.

Canadave

One Too Many
I'm glad my post has initiated so much thoughtful discussion. I have thought about the fact that wearing a hat could be my trademark and set me apart from the other reps (though I did see an older rep wearing a fedora one time). I'm not concerned about negative comments, as many of you addressed. It's more the attention it will attract, and how to deal with it.

On a VERY practical note, I'm in medical sales, so the majority of my calls are made to doctors' offices where I wait in the waiting room. What the heck am I going to do with my hat? Very few offices would have a place for it. Many don't even have coat racks. It's just another thing I'd have to manage...along with my bag, etc.

I'm tempted, and may give it a try...I'll let you know.

David

PS Hey, what about the "hat hair"?

Michael D

Familiar Face
Canadave said:
Hey, what about the "hat hair"?

OK. So there is one drawback to hat wearing.
:(

Just be glad you have hair to get hat hair.

When I went to the Musician's Institute in Hollywood, to study guitar many years ago, the studio guitar instructor was studio ace Tommy Tedesco. He was a big Italian guy who wore black clothes and a black greek fisherman cap all the time.

He told us that he wore black so you wouldn't notice when he had spilled food on himself and he wore the hat so that when he went bald no one would know. He was in his 50's then. I asked him to take off his hat which he did revealing a full head of jet black hair.

So I guess hat hair ain't such a bad thing to have when you're in your 50's (like me). :)

Mike

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I sport a brown Fedora and leather jacket almost everyday. Don't be ashamed of the "Indy" look fellas. It's classic working attire for the American working man.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Canadave- I suppose the severity of your hat-hair would depend on the amount of hair you have and the style you do with it. Like in the old movies, shorter hair with a traditional cut and style would be the most amenable to wearing hats. It's my conjecture that a hat actually helps keep slicked hair in place, LOL. At the very least, short on the sides and back would be helpful. How long is your hair, and what do you do with it?

On a side note,I notice that you live in Toronto. I visit there often, and absolutely love that city! And you're in medical sales? We should talk...I'm trying to break into medical/pharmaceutical sales myself. ;)

Canadave

One Too Many
Slicksuit said:
Canadave- I suppose the severity of your hat-hair would depend on the amount of hair you have and the style you do with it....How long is your hair, and what do you do with it?

On a side note,I notice that you live in Toronto. I visit there often, and absolutely love that city! And you're in medical sales? We should talk...I'm trying to break into medical/pharmaceutical sales myself. ;)

I do notice that hair length affects severity of hat hair! :) Being careful when putting on the hat also helps. In my job though, I'd be putting on and taking off my hat often...not just arriving at the office and taking it off for the day, hence the issue.

PM me and we'll talk sales. When's your next trip to T.O.?

Indiana Jerry said:
...CD, try wearing the hat w/ co-workers on a day you aren't going to see any clients. Or just around your co-workers. Expect comments...some compliments, some jibes, and figure the people who know you are probably going to be the most comfortable saying something - and see how good or bad it is. If you can handle that, you can handle the rest of the crowd that is probably NOT going to say anything....

This would be harder...I'd be more self conscious, but this would be a good test. I've wanted to wear it when going to meet with my boss, but never had the nerve.

Old_Hat said:
Hat hair... I hated hats until I realized that

1. I was wearing them too tight, and
2. Cheap hats generally run small

So, I was wearing the largest I (casually) found on the racks, which were still too small.

I have worn my hats on the loose side for a long time now....

With my head size and desire for vintage rather than new custom hats, it's very hard to get a loose fitting hat. :(

Thanks for all the advice,

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have a question. I know that years ago when most all men wore hats, they also used hair oil or hair tonic. I remember my father used it up until, well, I guess the 60's sometime, about the same time most men stopped wearing fedoras.

Didn't that greasy stuff stain the hats? I worry about staining my hats when my head sweats, I can't imagine what it would be like wearing hair oil.

Just curious....

karol

I think you have actually answered your own question in your missive. Simply wear the hat where you feel comfortable. That means wear it around your clients who you have proved your worth. For new clients, don’t wear the hat. Simple.
You have enough time when you are going between jobs and the rest of the day to wear the hats. That would be my modus operandi if I were put in your position and I was concerned about my appearance and reputation.

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner said:
I have a question. I know that years ago when most all men wore hats, they also used hair oil or hair tonic. I remember my father used it up until, well, I guess the 60's sometime, about the same time most men stopped wearing fedoras.

Didn't that greasy stuff stain the hats? I worry about staining my hats when my head sweats, I can't imagine what it would be like wearing hair oil.

Yep it stained the hat liners in hats that were worn often. That is easily fixed by washing though. I remove the dirty ones and wash them in Cheer. Just stick them in a lingerie bag and wash them gently. I just finished doing this with my Resistol Cowboy hat. It came out looking like new. The problem comes when you have to sew the darned things back in correctly. Then experts like Art living close to you really help. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Victor

One of the Regulars
So, when it is wet or cold out you would rather go bareheaded than risk the business faux pas of wearing a hat? What do your clients wear when they go out in the winter, a baseball cap?

Strider

One of the Regulars
For some reason, I never had to cull up the nerve to put on a fedora and walk out the door. Strangely, it was something I was instantly comfortable with doing. I know people look at me, but it just doesn't bother me. I don't know why, maybe sometimes I even like it.

Fedoras are just something I feel comfortable wearing, and something that I enjoy the look of. I feel that they look good on me.

Canadave said:
This would be harder...I'd be more self conscious, but this would be a good test. I've wanted to wear it when going to meet with my boss, but never had the nerve.

I wore my Lee Keppler Indy fedora into a job interview once. I got that job.

Regards,
Strider

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Oldhat - I understand what you're saying - you want to be true to yourself and who you are in wanting to wear hats to ALL client encounters. In some ways, it doesn't make sense act one way with certain clients, and another way with others. Each client that you meet brings with them emotional and subconsious baggage about how they feel about hats.

For example, some may feel negatively about you wearing a hat: maybe it reminds them of someone who does the same, whom they don't like. Maybe they think that you're old-fashioned and conservative, and that's something they don't appreciate. Maybe they think fedoras are thuggish, reminding them of old gangster movies or rap videos.

However, maybe the opposite is true, and they feel positive about your hat. They might appreciate traditional dress, be a noir-movie afficiando, or just plain darn like how you look in a hat.

To cut to the chase: Is it your fault that they have these perceptions? No. Do first impressions make an impact? Sure. But is is just as plausable that a myriad of other things about you may leave a positive or negative impression. Your dress, grooming, body (slim, average, or portly), age, vocabularity, mannerisms, facial expressions - all are taken into account in this survey of you by others. I don't know you personally, but it may be that you are indeed more self-confident and engaging with your hat on, and that would show in your actions and body language. In which case, I would recommend wear the hat. If you fixate on the hat, only able to concentrate on the fact that you're wearing a hat in your meetings, that may have a negative impact. But that can be alleviated by keeping your thoughts in perspective. Act like it isn't a big deal, and your clients will eventually get over it. If they never give you a chace, for the simple fact that you're a fedora-wearer, ask yourself...do you really want their patronage?

I'm interested to know what line of work that you do, as well as what region of the country you live in. Geography is yet another variable. I wouldn't have the hat on indoors when introducing yourself, or in client meetings. And I can't see having a hat in your hand as a big deal.

Sorry for the long message, but much ground to cover.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
When I was interviewing for jobs a few years back a hat in hand was a plus and a minus for me. Either way I stood out in the crowd. I think alot depends on weather you are wearing the hat or the hat is wearing you. If the hat looks to be an affectation then it is an easy piece for ridicule. If the hat flows with you and your outfit it is an attribute to your presence. The companies that asked me back for interviews were the ones that were run by free thinking enterperneurs. The ones that didn't give me a second thought were usually people who needed an amployee to sort letters. Either way, if you have confidence but you don't have as much with a certain hat, you can leave it in the car... though i suggest keeping in your hand is fine.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I agree with Matt, old hat.

Just do it or don't and get on with it. Make a choice, deal with the consequences and then you can report back on the results and how that has or has not modified your cool style.

Slick suit's comments about other mannerisms--language, grooming, sophistocation, knowledge in your field--make more of a difference than the hat in most environments anyway. But of course it depends on who those cliets are you are going to see--are they staff engineers, middle managment, senior execs? When I worked at Microsoft, no one cared, even Bill G, if people wore bare feet or suits to work. Heck, no one cared if you preferred to work from 9pm until 6am instead of programming during the day. Do it and get results and rock on.

These days, I wear a hat almost always--I feel naked without it. And hey, the Americans or whoever can come to Shanghai from Silicon Valley, and I am by far better dressed...and happen to be sporting a nice brim. The execs I work with would never do that--the guys from IBM, Allied Signal, Motorola, GE, etc. But it doesn't matter one iota to them, really, I think...as the other things are more important.

You'll be fine being who you are when you wear the hat and not let it wear you. The indy bag though...that's another story. :cool:

G

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am so glad I am a woman. I may be considered "eccentric" in a fedora, but no one says much. Of course, if I had to sell things for a living, that eccentricity might turn some folks off and affect my ability to make a living. What a sad thought. Luckily, I work in government. I get lots of complements on my hats, from some staff and administrators, who marvel at the variety of colors I wear, and also my clients. The poorest of the poor -- and they are even more accepting.

One of the stances that can be taken, which is something I learned in the civil rights movement and also on the streets of NY in all the progressive movements that took place in the early 70's, is that you have to live your life in the future. As if the future were here now! You have to live your life as if what you do and who you are is completely fine, which, of course, it is.

Others may be fearful of change, or have attitudes about what your wearing a hat means to them (the guy who made a comment about a hat wearer having "something to hide" speaks volumes for our cultural attitudes: he thinks you are criminal, not trustworthy, even though most of you, as far as I can discern, are hardworking, straight-laced, intelligent, thoughtful, neat guys and about as far away from "criminal" as a person can get). What a sad comment on our conformist society.

The more you live in the future, the faster the future will arrive. It is arriving as we speak if I can discern from all the hats being worn at Inaugurations, concerts, and other events. When people begin to believe it is cool to wear a hat, they will all be wearing them. And you can tell your grandchildren you were pioneers.

karol

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Slicksuit said:
Do first impressions make an impact? Sure. But is is just as plausable that a myriad of other things about you may leave a positive or negative impression. Your dress, grooming, body (slim, average, or portly), age, vocabularity, mannerisms, facial expressions - all are taken into account in this survey of you by others.

Right. If you've got two heads, I wouldn't worry if one of them is wearing a hat. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails