Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the nerve...

Canadave

One Too Many
In another thread that I didn't want to hijack, Slicksuit, as a new guy, expressed the nerve it would take to start to wear a fedora in public. Andykev replied;

Andykev said:
I sorta laughed at your "grow the Ba**s" comment. I have posted on a prior occasion, that I was also "self consious" about wearing a fedora in public. I loved wearing it in the house, and in my yard. The neighbors all got used to seeing me in the yard working, wearing a straw in summere, felt in winter....It is all about how you FEEL.

Wear that hat!

Wow, that sounds familiar. I have yet to get up the nerve to wear a hat to work. (In addition to the house and yard, I often wear one "out" on weekends.) If I worked in an office, I could see getting past the initial attention it would garner. You're seeing the same people everyday, and they'd get used to it. I'm in sales, and my day involves seeing different "customers" all day long. They are the same people over a 3 month cycle, but that's a lot of people. And...they are not used to me in a hat, so that's another big deal. If I moved to a different city, I could "start fresh" as a hat wearer.

Anyway, I know what you're gonna say. "Just do it". "Don't worry what others think". "Wear that hat!" :)

OK, I got it off my chest. Does anyone want to share their experiences when they first "took the plunge"?

David

STHill

One of the Regulars
You make a good point, CD. I've just started wearing hats for the past year or so, and I'm pretty comfortable wearing them in public around strangers. Also around close friends and family.

But I've been hesitant to wear hats around clients (I'm a tax accountant with my own practice). It doesn't come up often because I usually see clients in my office when I'm not actually wearing my hat (although it's in plain view on a hat rack). Occasionally, I go out to a client's office, and I usually leave my hat in the car. I think my hesitation is mostly because I just don't feel like answering all the questions it would draw the first time.

Interestingly enough, the few times clients have seen me with my hat on, they seem to get a kick out of it. They always compliment me. In fact the other day, I was getting into my car in the parking lot when one of my clients (a very attractive lady) drove up. She was quite effusive in her praise. She kept saying, "You look so good in that hat!" She just about propositioned me in the parking lot. Hmm, maybe I'll re-think my hesitation about wearing hats around clients.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I think the way to resolve this, is to know when to take your hat off ;) I wear a hat everywhere I go, and I know when to take it off. Back in the day, they didn't put there hat on in the morning, and leave it on until it was time to go to bed.. They'd put it on on their way out the door, drive to work, go inside, and generally take it off when they got there...at least thats what I would expect. When I'm in class, I always have it on my knee or my lap or something, never on my head (unless I forget) and generally have it on when I'm walking the halls, and always when I'm outside. My general rule of thumb is take it off when I reach my destination. When I get home, I go into the basement, and thats where I take my hat off and hang it up. And at school I take it off upon sitting at my desk. And if I ever get me a job (Its supposed to happen real soon) I'll be taking my hat off when I get there. So yeah, you shouldn't be to nervous about wearing a hat to work, as if you follow hat etiquette and do it the polite way, you'll be taking your lid off when its time to deal with customers. However, I suppose if you like wearing it, you could always go ahead and keep it on your head the whole time for fun, which you shouldn't be nervous about because it just happens to be something you like to wear, just like your favorite shoes or something :)

SappySwami

Familiar Face
When I was 17, and just getting into the retro thing, I bought a zootsuit, fedora, chain, the works. Wore it to a Big Bad Voodoo Daddy concert. After that... experience, I don't find it hard to wear a hat to school. And if I do wear a hat, it's because I'm in a tie, vest, jacket, etc. But I'm only a student, while I see the same people every week, I'm not working for them, so I can see what some of you mean.

My problem is dressing retro around OTHER retro people. Every time I want to go to an event, I flip out about how my clothes aren't good enough, and that everyone will be able to tell my jacket isn't vintage, and has this moth hole... And recently, after reading this and other forums in more detail, I have learned my normal fedora I wear is a 60's style, despite it's misleading Capone name. Now I have to deal with this fact at the next Art Deco show in the city...

myronw

New in Town
Hi Guys,

I never was much of a hat wearer... Most of the hats you see around this part of the country are advertising hats, and I never was too keen on wearing them. In August of 2003, my son went to Ecuador on a mission for our church, and as a show of solidarity with him, I bought and started to wear Panama hats.

PanamaBob sent me a link to this forum, and I made the expensive mistake of using it. I have never had anyone ridicule me for wearing either the Panamas, or the felt fedoras; although there is one dork here at work who made a comment or two about the Godfather. Everyone else who mentions the hats always does so as a compliment. I wear one of my nice hats anytime I'm going to be out of the house without getting dirty. I don't wear them if I think damage them, but I do wear them in any kind of weather that comes along.

I'd say you should go ahead and wear your hats as often as you like! If anyone is obnoxious enough to make a disparaging comment, just consider the source and don't let some low class fool who is jealous of your hat deprive you of the pleasure of wearing it.

Myron

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm getting a little kick out of this thread...sort of like telling each other the day we were 'outed.'

I worked in DC for a while (gave up recently because the commute was too long - nearly two hours!) and the 'first' time was a very cold winter day. My daily trip was a commuter train then a connection to the Metro. I took it off in the train, but kept it on while riding the Metro. I was wearing a long, black vintage winter coat and my hat was an early 50s black Emerson fedora. I really wasn't too self conscious about it...maybe I looked like a funeral director or something wearing all that black and people avoided eye contact. Hey...I'm a blonde...a blonde can never look evil!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, there is always Rutger Hauer. He has played some wicked guys.

Do any of you fellows ever meet with downright hostility over your hats? It is one thing to withstand the slings and arrows of verbal assault, it would be another to withstand real slings and arrows.

Just wondering. I have written in other threads that I have men friends who were profiled by police when they were wearing fedoras (drug dealer? bad dude?).

We women can and do wear almost anything and no one says much. You guys really do have to be brave.

I know of one place that is so uptight that you hardly dare wear anything but the standard uniform and that is on Wall Street. I had a friend who worked at a firm there. He had a really good reputation -- he guessed the crash of '87 and saved his clients tons of money. He applied for jobs at some other firms a couple of years later and could not get hired. He finally asked a friend, who was on the "inside" of one firm, what the problem was and was told he was eliminated for consideration for the job because he was not wearing button-down collars.

I don't understand why people are like that. Insecure and wanting to fit in, I guess. And then ready to ostracize anyone who doesn't fit in their narrow little world.

Weird.

karol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
There was a time when blue collar workers had to wear blue collard shirts and white collar workers had to wear white collard shirts. Employees who didn't have hats had to go in the back door of some businesses because the company had a reputation to keep.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I work in a library, so I don't wear my hats inside the building, but I have gotten nothing but compliments on them.

I haven't had a single person try to make fun of me wearing a hat...ever.

Then again, I am 6'6", 250lbs, and have been told that I look "mean" (whatever that means...haha), so I am pretty much left alone, hat or not.

Dave McCone

New in Town
Just wear the hat.

Getting back to Canadave's original comment...

I respect the fact that if you are in Sales, then you need to adhere to whatever the norm is for your industry. Since it's winter at this point, I would suggest showing up with your hat with your customers that you have a longstanding relationship with, and let their reactions be your guide. If they get wierded out, leave the hat in the car.

Personally, I work the "other side of the desk" as a Purchasing Agent, buying computers for the University of Washington. I work in academia, and not only wear a hat, but a ponytail (gasp!). Suffice it to say that the ponytail is my answer to a receding hairline - in the academic world, pretty much anything goes - and my view is that I might as well enjoy having long hair while I still have hair. I've rarely had negative remarks from folks in general about hairstyle, and *never* had negative comments about the hat at all, which is obvious in my rather small office, even if I'm not wearing it. If anything, the hat comments have been positive, both from sales reps that stop by the office, and from faculty/staff as well.

Granted, I work in an atypical environment - and eccentric behavior is very much the norm in academia, and in Seattle in general. So, I'm probably well to the left of the norm.

Personally, speaking again as the Purchasing Guy, it's relatively rare to see a sales rep dressed in a suit anymore, unless the sales rep has the district manager along for some formal occasion. I wouldn't bat an eye at a sales rep that had a hat, other than to complement him on the hat and use it as the basis for the general banter that goes on before you get down to business. If appropriate, you might want to use the fedora as some way to differentiate yourself from the normal parade of sales reps that your normal buyer would see in a normal day (e.g., a nice follow-up would be to get back to them with information on where to find a similar fedora if they had a positive comment on the hat).

Hope that this helps.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Good point.
I went a step farther and so far so good. I like Indiana Jones movies as much as the next guy. They were good movies. I'm not a movie character wannabee by a long shot, just like a certain style. I wanted to get a leather jacket and while the old bomber style looked interesting I didn't like the elastic cuffs. Thought maybe an Indy style jacket might look good and did some research and found out about the Westeds and bought one. Looks great on me. Already had a Stetson hat and wanted something a bit nicer to go with the jacket and after having found out all about the Wested decided on an Adventurebilt by Fedora. Great hat, very Indy. So, it looks great but don't really want to look like a wannabee, just like the look. It also got me interested in fedoras so will probably get a couple more. Probably a grey one and a Panama. Anyway, if you do searches on the internet for fedoras you find that Indiana Jones fans dominate the websites, though a half century or more ago most men wore these hats. Its fun to watch an old Bogart movie to see the different styles and shapes.
Anyway, I have only gotten a little goodnatured ribbing about the Indiana Jones thing from one guy and I really don't think that many others see it as an Indy thing, maybe a few but if it looks good, then it looks good. I have one male coworker with a green ponytail and another one with a steel barbell through the bridge of his nose so I guess while my style may differ from my workplace they can't be pointing any fingers. Now if I worked on the NY Stock Exchange it might be different. While on the job you need to use your judgement about what is appropriate, in your private life I really wouldn't give it a second thought what people think as long as your don't look too embarrassing to be seen with.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Dave McCone said:
Personally, speaking again as the Purchasing Guy, it's relatively rare to see a sales rep dressed in a suit anymore, unless the sales rep has the district manager along for some formal occasion. I wouldn't bat an eye at a sales rep that had a hat, other than to complement him on the hat and use it as the basis for the general banter that goes on before you get down to business. If appropriate, you might want to use the fedora as some way to differentiate yourself from the normal parade of sales reps that your normal buyer would see in a normal day (e.g., a nice follow-up would be to get back to them with information on where to find a similar fedora if they had a positive comment on the hat).

Yes! A hat can be your calling card! It may even be more effective than those promotional gifts typically given by sales reps (ie, pens, coffee mugs, keychains) because it is so distinctive.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've heard it all. 'Eliot Ness', 'Al Capone', 'Frank Sinatra', and when I'm daring enough to combine an A-2 jacket(which is my calling card, and has no similaity to Indy's Jacket other than patch pockets and a shirt-style collar), 'Indiana Jones' left and right. People think they're clever when making these references, for some reason, as if I'd never had that response before. I've been able to weather it pretty well, unless the person speaking is being obnoxious about it.

People REMEMBER you if you're wearing a vintage suit along with the hat, though. I'll hardly ever wear a fedora without a collared shirt, tie, trousers and dress shoes, and if I'm wearing those, I'll need a jacket, be it a sport coat, suit jacket, or A-2. I feel as if the hat is way out of place just by itself. If I'm in a T-shirt, jeans and casual jacket, I'll go with a newsboy cap. Even a newsboy cap is distinctive. The modern style is 'streamlined', with either no seams, or just 3 panels, one on each side and a large one down the middle, which I find rather bland and excessively trendy-looking. A classic 8-panel newsboy really makes a statement.

There's not much point in having a hat if you don't wear it. For me, it's a form of rebellion, not against my elders, but against my peers, as I've pointed out in the past.

Chuck

New in Town
The Wingnut said:
There's not much point in having a hat if you don't wear it. For me, it's a form of rebellion, not against my elders, but against my peers, as I've pointed out in the past.

For me, this says it all. The fact that we wear a hat that is not considered "normal attire" surely casts us as rebellious, or at least, demanding attention. Non-conformity is the essence of individuality.

Plus, a nice vintage fedora sure looks good! :)

I have probably heard it all as well. A different hat goes with me to work everyday. I wear different colors and styles so it is never really the same stereotypical one. I wear fedoras, homburgs, cowboy hats, puritans and even a bowler now. It just depends on my mood. It gets them off guard everyday. ;)
It kills me that people think you are "dressed" when you wear a hat with an overcoat, button down shirt and a pair of khakis. I wear that when I work in the warehouse just because it is cold! Office wear is entirely different. Standards sure have changed.
I encourage everyone to wear their hats. They are for your head not the hall tree! :p Get different colors, styles and blocks. Soon they will wonder what you will show up at work with next. ;)

Regards to all,

J

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Old_Hat said:
Then (with all respect to the character and the fans) there is the Indiana Jones problem.

To some (one lady of my aquaintance in particular), any fedora, or even near-fedora, is an "Indiana Jones" hat. She probably isn't even sure what "fedora" means.

I've been carrying a shoulder pouch to work since I quit carrying an attache case in the mid '80s, many years before I started wearing hats to work.

So, shoulder pouch, no problem. Fedora, a little iffy, maybe.

Add a fedora to a shoulder pouch and you're suddenly on very shaky ground.

Add a waistjacket of any type to a fedora and shoulder pouch, and the general silhouette is instantly recognized even if nothing within it matches. For most people, you've removed any doubt- you're a movie character wannabee.

Now, there are circles in which that's just fine, but in a business context, well... showing up for a meeting dressed as Spider Man or a Klingon would probably be worse... but not enough to make much difference.

Again, with all respect to the fans, I'm personally hoping enough men start wearing hats and fedoras again to get us past that instant association, at least.

Old Hat, I am in some cases in the same boat as you. Most of my colleagues are senior execs from the US. With guys like this, you explain a little about the hats to each of them and then you don't have much of a problem--but they most often think of Indy. But one has to take care not to be a complete freak, just 'cause you like to wear a nice brim. Always look good and you just look good.

My customers on the other hand are all Asians--Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Singaporean, etc. With them, anything goes--in fact the Japanese and Koreans almost exclusively never say anything, somehow just accept. Same with the Indians for other reasons--there's so much funky gear in India that variety of clothes and customs is an everyday thing. The chinese, honkies and Singaporeans will always say something: most often say "cowboy" than anything else. but it doesn't seem to harm one's professional demeanor--afterall, when you've seen them throwing up from drinking, the bond will be a bit deeper. :)

G

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Old_Hat said:
Then (with all respect to the character and the fans) there is the Indiana Jones problem.

To some (one lady of my aquaintance in particular), any fedora, or even near-fedora, is an "Indiana Jones" hat. She probably isn't even sure what "fedora" means.

I've been carrying a shoulder pouch to work since I quit carrying an attache case in the mid '80s, many years before I started wearing hats to work.

So, shoulder pouch, no problem. Fedora, a little iffy, maybe.

Add a fedora to a shoulder pouch and you're suddenly on very shaky ground.

Add a waistjacket of any type to a fedora and shoulder pouch, and the general silhouette is instantly recognized even if nothing within it matches. For most people, you've removed any doubt- you're a movie character wannabee.

Now, there are circles in which that's just fine, but in a business context, well... showing up for a meeting dressed as Spider Man or a Klingon would probably be worse... but not enough to make much difference.

Again, with all respect to the fans, I'm personally hoping enough men start wearing hats and fedoras again to get us past that instant association, at least.

Old Hat, I am in some cases in the same boat as you. Most of my colleagues are senior execs from the US. With guys like this, you explain a little about the hats to each of them and then you don't have much of a problem--but they most often think of Indy. But one has to take care not to be a complete freak, just 'cause you like to wear a nice brim. It is a bit puerile to be seen as a movie character wannabee in business of course. Stoick to the suit or business casual--nothing too flamboyant.

My customers on the other hand are all Asians--Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Singaporean, etc. With them, anything goes--in fact the Japanese and Koreans almost exclusively never say anything, somehow just accept. Same with the Indians for other reasons--there's so much funky gear in India that variety of clothes and customs is an everyday thing. The chinese, honkies and Singaporeans will always say something: most often say "cowboy" than anything else. but it doesn't seem to harm one's professional demeanor--afterall, when you've seen them throwing up from drinking, the bond will be a bit deeper. :)

G

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Casual clothing? What's that? :)

I consciously rebelled at the notion of casual clothing several years ago, believing our society has gotten far too informal. Yes, folks think I'm strange, but as Dave McCone related, in the academic environment, I'm just accepted as another eccentric.

Brad

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
You know I dig this thread hearing how many of you got through those first rough years.......I may not be as old as some but far older than others.....I first started wearing Fedoras in high school before the whole retro comeback or hell before the internet was much......Voodoo Daddy played punk shows and school dances, and Swing was that kool stuff I saw in the movies.....I wore my first hat to school everyday sophomore year (once I bought it) and then Junior year the school banned hats......then it was in my locker or kar till I was out of school when I put it back on......I still wear one most everyday and everywhere I go along with my zoot-esque wallet chain.....as long as you dress nice most white collar jobs I have had do not have any issue with it.....a few blue collars have through a fit mostly due to what other kids would do if they had the same leeway.......as far as clients go unless your clients are very (contemporary) fashionable people all their going to notice is you look like you came out of an old movie but look nice........hey if your a rep you'll probably stand out in their mind more.......

Michael D

Familiar Face
gcollins said:
The chinese, honkies and Singaporeans will always say something: most often say "cowboy" than anything else...

G

G,

I got the 'cowboy' comment when I was in Italy two years ago. Here I was wearing an Italian-made fur felt fedora and someone on the street calls me a cowboy. It didn't look a thing like a cowboy hat. Go figure.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails