Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

getting the right size coat

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I'm about to order a leather jacket from Aero, but I'm having a tough time deciding on the size to order. I'm 5'9 with a 39 1/4 chest. Naturally I want to get the best fit the first time. Would you consider me a 38 or 40? If I get a 40 im afraid the arms may be a bit long, so im just trying to get some opinions on this. Ive also heard that Aero is usually a little larger than actual size, can some of you who have aero comment on this please. Also im open to other suggestions other than aero. Lost Worlds?

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have tried on three Aero jackets, and I found that all three were tighter in the chest and shoulders the size on the tag would have led me to believe. I have a 43" chest and I can't wear a sweater comfortably under a 44 Aero jacket that I currently own. But yet, I read measurements of other Aero jackets that are larger than indicated on the tsg, usually 4" over actual (eg a size 42 measures 23" pit to pit). I guess there's a lot of variance and customization, so always look to the actual measurements, and know what works for you.

Peacoat

Bartender
There is only one way to go in getting a good fit with Aero: Use Wade/Carrie and get a fit jacket sent to you. Removes all confusion, removes all doubt. Don't go through Aero direct. You might get a good fit, and then you might not.

But aren't you going about it backwards, if you did go direct through Aero? You should send your measurements and let Aero tell you what size to get. You should not be telling a custom manufacturer what size to send you. Plus there is a lot more to it than just the chest size. You will need to worry about the sleeve length, the measurement around the waist, the shoulder fit and the torso length.

I have seven custom jackets by the big names. My best fits have come from John Chapman, Johnson Leathers and Aero through Wade/Carrie. I believe John sent me a fit jacket for my A-2, but that was a while back. I know Johnson and Wade/Carrie sent me fit jackets. Takes most of the guess work out of the equation.

I have been in the same situation that you are in. The first several times, I didn't utilize fit jackets because they weren't available. Then Wade and Carrie stepped up to the plate, and that changed everything in ordering from Aero.

With your being in Nashville (I'm just down the road south of Franklin), it is relatively quick to receive the fit jackets. And, if something screws up, Wade and Carrie are willing to work with you to resolve the problem.

Good luck with your new jacket. PC.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I would send a mail to Aero and ask which would fit you best in the Body. I believe with a halfbelt you should go with a 40, while with a longer jacket such as the Veste de Rallye or Stockman or also the Teamster you should go with a 38. I have a 40.5" chest and a 38 Teamster fits well.

Don't worry about sleeve length, they can and will adjust that pretty easily for your height.

Options other than Aero: Johnson Leather. They will do any jacket you ask from them. The Horween leather at Aero is arguably more beautiful and an Aero will fit just fine, but from my experience, JL's jackets are designed better in terms of utility, their pattern allow much better movability. So if you want a jacket to be active in, rather than just wearing it casually on a sunday walk in the park, I'd probably go with JL. I have both, I love both, you just gotta know what you want the jacket for. I pick the Aero whenever I walk the dogs, I pick the Johnson when I have physical work to do and can't be arsed with my jacket rising up to my ears every time I reach out to anything above chest height.

Lost World is too pricy for what they offer imho. From pictures I have seen, their leather is okay, but it's not Horween quality and their pattern are inferior to Johnson as well. Aero/Johnson both > LW imho.

Another great jacket maker is Vanson, great Fitting jackets in nice heavy leather, but they do mostly biking jackets and mostly in black hide. However I recently saw a lovely Half-Belt they did in a cooperation with some micro-brand. See links here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?82785-First-Real-Jacket-Vanson-30-s-Half-Belt

http://www.loganscloset.com/cap.html

Expect a Long wait though, if you order from them, as Worf can tell you.

http://www.thurston-bros.com
Biggest Aero Leathers dealer in the States. Carrie and Wade are the owners. I think? Either way, what the others said, they're your best bet. And from personal experience, they are really reliable when it comes to getting the best fit. Just make sure to mention how do prefer your jackets to fit you and they'll make you good.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I just got off the phone with them! Guys I cant thank you enough for the advice, I was really concerned about paying that much for a coat and not fitting properly. When I get my coat i'll post some pics!

Peacoat

Bartender
Well, I just noticed your name--BoxerKen. I knew several of the officers involved in the Police Athletic League in Nashville. Donnie Broadway was probably the main officer involved with boxing. Did you ever run across him? He has been retired for a while, but was active in PAL for a number of years. He and the other officers took many at risk kids and turned them around. Some of them later became police officers themselves, citing PAL as their major influence. Many success stories from that organization. PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo