Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the wavy hair look ala Cagney

ZackP

New in Town
I have quite wavy hair, but my issue is when I apply product (whether it be Brylcreem, Groom and Clean, or whatever other product) and comb it, it just looks slick and flat. Is there a trick to keep the waves that I have naturally with the product? Should I apply product to somewhat dryer hair?

ZackP

New in Town
Here is an example:
James+Cagney+Annex++Cagney+James_09.jpg

Notice that really nice wave? My hair without product has lots of waves just like that, but wetting and adding product just flattens it all and it kills the look I'm going for.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I would also suspect that you'd need a pomade with a light hold and use just a little of it. Cagney probably doesn't even use pomade but a hair tonic like Vitalis. Using pomade I would try something like Royal Crown or Murray's Super Light. I'd expect that to work better than the stuff with a medium or heavy hold, like the red Dax or Black & White.

Metatron

One Too Many
:D

I have a slightly onorthodox method which works great for me: I never use shampoo or conditioner, but one hour before having a shower I massage olive oil into my hair. Then I wash it out with a bit of soap, so the surface isn't greasy, but the hair has absorbed the oil and is left silky smooth.
I find I can then comb it into shape without worrying about gel or pomade.
I have curly hair and this method keeps it manageable while retaining a natural look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran