Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting very long hair to hold curl

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
I'm pretty new to the forums and I'm not sure if it's been covered before but here goes.

My hair is super long, it's about 41in and just past my tailbone. As much as I love Louise Brooks bobs and Veronica Lake waves, I'd never dream of cutting it. I won't use heat on it so I've tried every non heat method. Pin curls, rag curls, foam curlers, you name it. The problem is, for the first hour or so, I look like a victorian doll. After that, they just fall out, my hair is simply too heavy to hold them. I just wondered if anyone knew of a way to get them to stay put without using too much product. Would pinning them up be a better option? Thanks. x

Lillemor

One Too Many
I fully support your decision to keep your hair long and I understand why you won't allow heat to be used on your hair. I wouldn't allow heat, metal, or styling products near my hair when it was long. Well, eventually I relented on the styling products and the hair pins and that was a huge mistake! Metal accessories, hair pins, etc. always damages hairs. Many styling products contain alcohol that's drying and damaging to long hair. I know this is all unsolicited advice and doesn't really answer your question.

Some long haired ladies have good experiences with pillow rollers and the time they're in just makes the curls last longer for them.

The-Blue-Star

New in Town
Don't worry, it's nice to hear that some people don't actually want to see long hair chopped off. All I seem to get is "it would look so much better short". Either that or they think I'm weird or fussy for not wanting to put heat on it.

Pillow rollers is actually a method I've never heard of before. What are they exactly?

Lillemor

One Too Many
The-Blue-Star said:
Don't worry, it's nice to hear that some people don't actually want to see long hair chopped off. All I seem to get is "it would look so much better short". Either that or they think I'm weird or fussy for not wanting to put heat on it.

Pillow rollers is actually a method I've never heard of before. What are they exactly?

You can't buy them in Denmark to my knowledge but they have them in the U.S. and I think they come in a few sizes. Some make their own. They look like cylindrical pillows with ribbons on the ends to tie them to your hair. Others look like these:

http://www.purespadirect.com/v/vspfiles/photos/VO-223679-2T.jpg

Some have buttons on the ends instead of ties:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/divarollers

Don't get me started on all the annoyingly, stupid, unsolicited remarks and "advice" I had to put up with in my long hair days. The ignorance on long hair care, ease of wear and care and what constitutes healthy hair, etc. is mind blowing!:rolleyes:

Just because damaged hair gave me an excuse to give in to an itch to bob my hair, doesn't mean that I want to impose shorter hair on other women.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL