Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

3fingers

One Too Many
This one is in the village where I live now(400 people). As you can see, it was an antique shop in the '70s. Furnishings, clothing and shoes for men, women and children and notions were available.
4302071019_21433ab6d8_m.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sign from over 100 years ago.
Hot Wells.png

Hot Wells:
Sulphur waters.png

A sulfur-laden artesian spring was found on the site in 1892. Two years later, a bathhouse and hotel followed under the direction of developer McClellan Shacklett. Hot Wells claimed its waters would benefit persons with diseases of the skin, liver, and kidney as well as those with
rheumatism. The popularity of sulfur waters was big.
Streetcars brought guests from downtown San Antonio. At its peak, Hot Wells was likened to other such resorts in Karlsbad, Germany and in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
In 1906, the Cincinnati Reds baseball team conducted its training camp there. A 1911 silent picture, The Fall of the Alamo, was filmed there. The resort attracted such celebrities as film director, Cecil B. DeMille, actors Sarah Bernhardt, Tom Mix, Douglas Fairbanks, Rudolph Valentino,
President Theodore Roosevelt and Porfirio Diaz of Mexico
Some celebrities came to the springs in their own rail cars whose tracks are still in use.
Mostly during the Fall in the night although far away, Polo can hear the train whistle.
He makes it a point to wake me up to listen with him,
no matter what time it is. :(

Last edited:

Bugguy

Practically Family
Building's gone to make room for a streetcar barn in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, OH.

Screen shot 2013-10-16 at 11.27.27 PM.png

Significance is the beat-up, wall-mount, GE bipolar fan in the picture below. I picked it for $5 from a non-profit salvage group. I did some research and its DC current, pre-1910. I did some additional research and found it's archetype on display at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. It generated quite a bit of interest in the AFCA (a fan collector's forum). I've since traded it for a fan restoration and future consideration.

DSC_0002.JPG

Western Electric Wall Bracket Bipolar (Science and Industry Museum 6).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana