Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

Building's gone to make room for a streetcar barn in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, OH.

View attachment 115200

Significance is the beat-up, wall-mount, GE bipolar fan in the picture below. I picked it for $5 from a non-profit salvage group. I did some research and its DC current, pre-1910. I did some additional research and found it's archetype on display at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. It generated quite a bit of interest in the AFCA (a fan collector's forum). I've since traded it for a fan restoration and future consideration.

View attachment 115202

View attachment 115203

And a Pinto wagon. Adds to the panache.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Uncovered during a renovation project. I imagine it'll disappear from view again soon, unless it's incorporated into the decor of whatever's going in this space.
921758e7353b6504c5ca0d9a110557df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A definitive sign of my youth. Belfast, Maine.

18646044273_aeb294cf26_b.jpg

Underneath "Republican Journal," which was and still is the local weekly paper, it originally read "Progressive Age," which was the RJ's arch-rival paper. The PA went out of business in 1889, and the RJ bought out all its assets -- immediately slapping its name over that of its vanquished foe. That lead paint really holds up, but you can't bury the past forever.

It might be a little difficult to see (poor photo quality), but this was formerly the Montgomery Ward building in my home town:

1aRuyxp.jpg

And here's how it looked after it opened in 1929:

5J4RxYF.jpg

It had clearly been re-painted at some point because the style of the lettering (what we refer to as a font these days) is different, and the surrounding buildings have changed for a variety of reasons, but it's essentially the same building.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk