Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

About half way between Mohave and Barstow, California there is a sign - an old neon one that at one time spelled out "Rock's....Cafe". Well, Rock's burned down many years ago, judging from the grass that has grown over the foundation, but the sign is still there, pointing at an empty space. Absolutely wonderful.
2955750795_d48be9f5e6.jpg

Made me think of something I had heard that has happened several times, in the desert off one of the service roads a film company builds some sets for a film and the area gets demolished but you can still see remnants of the set.

I recall seeing some as I drove home thru Compton. One was a Seven Up ad with the really old Seven Up logo that kind of looks like a shield. There was one in Pasadena that was by the old, old location of the John Bull Pub a few blocks from Colorado Blvd it was a 'food joke' quote for T.E. Lawrence "My people are the people of the dessert."

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll have to remember to get a picture next time I'm in downtown, but a decade or so ago, the cityy tore down an old building. A road had to be widened a little, meaning taking out part of the old sidewalk. So they decided why not condemn an old, long-vacant building, and we'll turn it into a little memorial park on the odd-shaped piece of land.

When they tore down one building, the long-covered wall of the building next door saw the light of day for the first time since the 1920s or 30s. There was an ad for the mechanic in the building (now a glass-blowing shop) and his Union Oil products, as well as private bus line that ran up to Seattle. At the time, most people were using the trains. streetcars and ferries to go "into town."

Different groups wanted the sign left as-is but protected, others wanted it restored, others wanted to just paint over it. The city, in their infinite wisdom in protecting "this wonderful piece of artistic heritage" (one of the politicians' blather at the time) planted junipers or cypress in front of them. It was only going to be a short trimmed hedge (so they said) but now it's getting close to completely covering the wonderful old ads. I hadn't come through town that way in quite awhile and was sitting at the signal looking at it day before yesterday and thinking how the old signage behind the war dead memorial and flags fit well together, and now it just isn't the same. The irony is that it's just around the corner from the city museum, itself in an art deco building built in 1942 that was the fire station until 30 or so years ago.

Different groups wanted the sign left as-is but protected, others wanted it restored, others wanted to just paint over it. The city, in their infinite wisdom in protecting "this wonderful piece of artistic heritage" (one of the politicians' blather at the time) planted junipers or cypress in front of them. It was only going to be a short trimmed hedge (so they said) but now it's getting close to completely covering the wonderful old ads. I hadn't come through town that way in quite awhile and was sitting at the signal looking at it day before yesterday and thinking how the old signage behind the war dead memorial and flags fit well together, and now it just isn't the same. The irony is that it's just around the corner from the city museum, itself in an art deco building built in 1942 that was the fire station until 30 or so years ago.

Politicos know "out of sight, out of mind."

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not quite 'vintage', but there is another one in Melbourne.

Corner of Burke Road and Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn. Behind the big public house across the road from the church.

"HAWTHORN ANTIQUES CENTER"

The antiques center hasn't been there for at LEAST ten years. But the sign remains. I'll try and get a photograph of it. When I was a child, it was one of my favourite hangouts. I'd go into that shop and just spend ages drooling over the antiques.

It's one of my influences that got me interested in early 20th century history.

Espee

Practically Family
In the early '90s in L.A. (maybe Koreatown?) I saw the faint but familar lettering and emblem of CARNATION painted on a wall. And it wasn't for milk, cream, or ice cream, but for Carnation Mush.

billyk

New in Town
These are really neat -- thanks for sharing. If I remember right, there are a handful of these in the Downtown LA area, as well as near the MacArthur Park area. I'll try to snap some photos when I'm down there.

Orange, CA -- September 5, 2004
Glassell Street near Chapman Avenue looking south.

The Masonic Lodge (white doorway) is still housed in that building.

DSCF0182.jpg

Espee said:
Yes, some brand of mush was being advertised in Santa Ana. But I'm getting dizzy looking at the overlapping words!

It looks like it said "Pioneer Mush" -- at least to my eyes. Apparently a brand of something called pioneer mush. Unfortunately the brand name is totally obscured. Though I did find a recipe for this concoction.

Pioneer Mush

3 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cornmeal
Additional sugar or syrup

1. Bring water and salt to a rolling boil.
2. Add cornmeal. Turn heat to low -- or cook over another pot of water (double boiler).
3. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring often.
4. Serve immediately with sugar or syrup.

Last edited:

M. Jeffroy

New in Town
Here's one I encountered in the Vieux-Port of Montréal in 2007.
IMG_0017.jpg

Another in the Place Sainte-Anne, Rennes, France, 2009. There's at least three ads in this one: Dubonnet, Byrrh and Ripolin paints.

dubonnet.jpg

Last edited:

ValentinoVamp

New in Town
Those are great, M. Jeffroy! There are quite a few here in downtown Richmond, VA. I'll have to get out there sometime this weekend with my camera and take some to show you guys. I love that there are other people who enjoy ghost signs as much as I do. :) I just love them as they are a reminder of what once was...

ValentinoVamp

New in Town
Here are some Ghost Signs in Richmond, Virginia. I didn't take these myself, but thought they may be of interest to others. :)

4803419204_dc3519b140_z.jpg

5573255348_ca6be4ff28_z.jpg

135652537_87342a4134_z.jpg

121009500_0cbc527af0_z.jpg

milam.jpg

toasted.jpg

P3170016.JPG

401356796_476eb16641.jpg

There are so many here in Richmond it's insane. These are just a few I found while looking online. I love this city! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21