Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

Talbot

One Too Many
You can just barely see the sign on the rocks. It has faded even more recently, but here is one as seen from Harpers Ferry, WV.

harpers-ferry2.jpg

Could you imagine this happening today!?!

That is sad. However, maybe the new building will further preserve the sign.

Yes, maybe, but kind of existential: does a ghost sign provide any viewing pleasure if it can't be seen? While we all know that modern construction won't last forever, my guess is the new building will outlive most of us. That said, I appreciate your positive sentiment.

I started posting about this ghost sign going away back in August and, then, did an interim update in October, but I walked by today and it is gone. So that you don't have to scroll back, here is the sad story of going, going, gone in pictures:

The Sign

Construction has started, its fate is sealed

Not much time left in October (kind of like a drowning victim just keeping its head above the rising water)

And, finally and sadly, today, hidden from view for now (who knows, maybe in fifty years the new building will be taken down and the sign will breath again - odder things have happened)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That's not the worst fate. Someday, they may tear down that new building and guise what they will find?

My own post above got me to thinking - (and I assume Lizzie will have the answer), was it more common / was there more demand for Fireproof storage (as advertised in the ghost sign a couple of posts above) in the Golden Era than today (as that is not something I see advertised in the City any more - although, mini-storage is advertised all the time - but as a space issue, not a fire-safe issue - as no one has enough space in this city)?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the "Fireproof" angle was more a response to the many gigantic urban fires of the 19th and early 20th centuries. It wasn't just warehouses advertised as "Fireproof," it was any building made of concrete, steel, and brick -- theatres, ballparks, apartment houses, anything like that. There was a low asbestos-and-steel building behind the theatre here which opened in 1923 as "The Fireproof Garage," and was build shortly after a disastrous fire which had wiped out the entire block.

Meanwhile, so far as Ghost Signs are concerned, do you know the work of Frank Jump? He's a New York-based photographer who's done a lot of documentation of the city's old painted wall signs. His book, "Fading Ads of New York City," is a must for any coffee table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ