Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

52afecc428e3bc9a6ef0644f94bb2f17.jpg

Mr Slug

New in Town
I rescued this old sign from a derelict building back in the early 70's, it was being used as a shelf in a shed, in the little village where I grew up here in England.

yankee.jpg

After much research, I made contact with a guy in the 'states that had an original picture of it taken on May 8th, 1945 - he knew the date because the guys were celebrating the war in Europe finishing.

scan-2.jpg

I caught these the other day (I think it was 31st between 6th and 7th in Midtown Manhattan, but I might be off in my memory by a street or two) and I think the only reason they are in such good shape is that, until recently, they were hidden (protected) by another building that was just demolished for a new building that is going up. In the first picture, you can see the top of the construction site's fence.

Cool pics FF.
That's a pretty regular occurrence up there, huh?

It is vey much so. I think I could snap an example at least once a week. If you go back in this thread, you'll see I did a series of photos showing one building's ghost sign being hidden by new construction. I am pretty confident that the same will happen to the above signs.

The amount of demolition and new construction in this city is insane. And having lived here for over two decades, it seems to be at one of its high water marks again as you can't go a few blocks without seeing a massive building going up (and since there are almost no empty lots, you know something came down first).

The ghost signs are everywhere. Periodically I snap some and post, but I could do it almost every other day. The scale of this city is incredible.

Blackthorn -- nice ones! The Hotel Rex remined me of this one here in Springfield, MO.

This is the Hotel Sterling (priviously the Hotel Sansone and the Hotel Springfield). It opened in 1911 and closed in 1962. It sat vacant until this past year when it was renovated for student oriented housing as it is near the Missouri State University campus. It has a haberdashery and barbershop on the ground floor.

20254358624_c393947618_z.jpg

20867302782_65649226a5_z.jpg

20688886710_3365962ac7_z.jpg

Blackthorn: "Steam Heated Rooms $1 up" fantastic, how old must that be? And for the "Terms Which Have Disappeared" Thread - when have you last heard steam used for heat, e.g., "turn up the steam," "how 'bout some steam up here -" as a lament to the landlord?

Bobhufford: wonderful mini-trip through the hotel's history. Great to see it restored and, at least form the picture, done with a respect for its original architecture.

Great find. Did they just restore the sign (gorgeous sign), or is it a functioning business as well? And if just the sign - who did it / why? If you happen to know.

It has been several years since they redid the sign, but I don't know the story behind it. There are several tenants in the building now (as there are in almost all of the buildings downtown -- even some buildings you would not think they would rehab). BTW -- the original tenant (Springfield Grocer Company) is still in business after 150 years.

It has been several years since they redid the sign, but I don't know the story behind it. There are several tenants in the building now (as there are in almost all of the buildings downtown -- even some buildings you would not think they would rehab). BTW -- the original tenant (Springfield Grocer Company) is still in business after 150 years.

Whatever the reason - it's great to see it restore and great to hear that the downtown area is thriving. And wonderful that Springfield Grocer Co. is still going.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn: "Steam Heated Rooms $1 up" fantastic, how old must that be? And for the "Terms Which Have Disappeared" Thread - when have you last heard steam used for heat, e.g., "turn up the steam," "how 'bout some steam up here -" as a lament to the landlord?.
My very thought!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Heh, we have stuff like that all over the South Loop in Chicago! I'll have to take some pictures Monday and post them.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
There's quite a few around here in rural Illinois. At least a couple for every little town, it seems. Galesburg has a couple really cool older ones, and some newer ones, too. I'll get pics of some if I can

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk