Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

LordBest

Practically Family
I wore mine a bit, until my family banned me from wearing it except in the tropics or on an archaeological dig. Rather a shame, I've never had a better summer hat.

RBH

Bartender
indycop said:
Well? HURRY UP! and put on your jumanji outfit!:D
:D

002nwj.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
Bananna Republic Pith

RBH said:

My BR pith must be about 25 years old. I bought it in the first BR shop I ever saw which was in Charleston, SC. Does yours have a clear plastic liner? I was always tempted to pull that out. Was it supposed to stay put?

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I'd love to have one, but at 7 3/4, I can't get one

I'd love to have one, but at 7 3/4, I can't get one. I had one of the style shown in the pictures of these posts when I was a boy. I must have got it at an army surplus store. I watched a lot of old Tarzan movies on TV on Saturdays.

What I'd really like is one of the African-style British pith helmets. Think Michael Caine in "Zulu", or the "The Man Who Would Be King" poster where Sean Connery is wearing one. They all seemed to be sold on the basis of "one-size-fits-most", unless, of course, your hat size is larger than 7 3/8.

In re hats and The Man Who Would Be King, in one scene Connery and Caine are drilling the men of Urheb. They are berating a group of trainees who couldn't possibly understand their English. At one point, Connery is standing next to a particularly inept prospect and says, "A good soldier doesn't think! He obeys! You there with the 5 1/2 hat size, you've got the makings of a real hero!"

rgraham

A-List Customer
I have several of them, but the one I wear is an old US military version. They are lightweight, and the ventilation can't be beat. It just sort of sits on your head like a small, floating umbrella. The sweatband is far from the body of the hat itself, lending to a free exchange of air. Frankly, you almost forget you have it on.

The new ones made in Viet Nam are plain junk. Heavy, and the sweatband is appropriately named. It makes your head sweat.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Thanks for the photo

RBH said:
Here is a inside shot.

013yvx.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Your BR pith and my own both have the clear plastic liner, same same. That plastic always makes me think hot! when I'm wearing the thing. When the weather cools some and we go walking/hiking, in the mountains or wherever, I like to wear the old BR pith along with Orvis "India Cloth" shirt and pants, my good old Bean brown leather boots and a home spun bamboo walking stick. That often gets the Patagonia crowd, including my wife who is nearly mortified to be seen with me, sort of spun up.

My favorite kayak hat is one of those old, but not really vintage, Eddie Bauer woven pith looking things with adjustable suspension. I love that thing.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I know it's been mentioned somewhere before (in relation to corrugated sweatbands attachments no doubt) -

Check out the Borsalino (and other) piths in Campione's book, Il Capello da Uomo.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
KILO NOVEMBER said:
I'd love to have one, but at 7 3/4, I can't get one. I had one of the style shown in the pictures of these posts when I was a boy. I must have got it at an army surplus store. I watched a lot of old Tarzan movies on TV on Saturdays.

What I'd really like is one of the African-style British pith helmets. Think Michael Caine in "Zulu", or the "The Man Who Would Be King" poster where Sean Connery is wearing one. They all seemed to be sold on the basis of "one-size-fits-most", unless, of course, your hat size is larger than 7 3/8.

In re hats and The Man Who Would Be King, in one scene Connery and Caine are drilling the men of Urheb. They are berating a group of trainees who couldn't possibly understand their English. At one point, Connery is standing next to a particularly inept prospect and says, "A good soldier doesn't think! He obeys! You there with the 5 1/2 hat size, you've got the makings of a real hero!"
This vendor has what they call the "big head version" of both the French and Indian style pith helmets. http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html

Mike K.

One Too Many
Pith Helmets?

I have an entire collection of them. My "beater" helmet is one of the African-style piths from Village Hat Shop. It's a decent helmet but the crown is a bit low. I also own one of the Wolseley pith helmets from What Price Glory...a really nice helmet. Currently I am on the lookout for one of the Indian-style helmets with the quilted cover. Below is my prize piece, an original 1930s Abercrombie & Fitch helmet in my size and in near perfect condition.

G2SM1a746cc5-e3ec-4d3c-a928-206f1d3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy