Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I found mine at a Miltaria store in Northern Virginia a couple years ago. It's made in Vietnam. I call it a General Giap style, but I doubt that's accurate.
One thing I found out about them is that back in the day of the British Raj, what they did was soak the hat, which is made of cork (pith) in water for a while before going out. The moisture in the cork would slowly evaporate all day, making the wearer's head cooler. I tried it once on mine, and I can at leats say it didn't ruin the helmet.
As far as where and when, I'd say the standard rule that applies to fedoras applies here. If you can decide you're comfortable with it, wear it anywhere and anytime you want. Whenever it's hot enough to justify it from a purely practical standpoint, go ahead and wear it.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Village hat shop

http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html

1. I have the French, British and the Indian. I would like the Wolseley but can't justify that right now.

2. All are good. The British is not as good for sun protection, the French is really wide, so it is better for sun protection, but really wide. I find myself using the Indian one more then any of the others.

3. I usually wear mine golfing. Good converstion starter and good for a laugh. "my friend is such a bad golfer I need a helmet":p

I prefer the cotton sweat band as seen in the french regular size. If I order another pith I will be asking for one instead of the leather. Just my opinion.

Johnny

I have one I think I got from Major Surplus in Gardena ages ago. It's similar to one of the US designs and has this awful vynul plastic head harness that acts as a sweat dam. if you take the thing off you get flooded with sweat in the eyes. I need to put some type of terry cloth cover on the harness maybe. To me it seems like it keeps the heat off until I am hot then it radiates my heat back onto me. I mostly wear it mowing lawns at church.

Link to web site: www.majorsurplus.com

JimWagner

Practically Family
I have a couple from Village Hat Shop. I do soak my French pith in water and wear it while cutting grass or doing other yard work in the summer. It really does work well that way to keep me cooler.

The British style pith I relegate to costuming. Not as much sun protection. But it does look cool (no pun intended).

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I have two Pith helmets, but I prefer the term "Solar Topee"

4313063599_537355fac1.jpg

"Snott" "Frilly" & "Binkie" enjoying a champagne breakfast in Hyde Park, light straw Solar Topee

4259088368_c1b8be2140_b.jpg

"My Heavy duty Solar Topee"

Sam Craig

One Too Many
They are much easier to find, and less expensive too, on line than they were years ago.

Good ones are quite useful, but remember they are really only good for when you are going to be out in the sun for long periods of time.

If you are just running from the house to the car, you probably would be better served with a panama or other straw hat

Of course, many of us like the way they look, reminding us of old movies and what-not.

When you are outside, in the sun, on a hot day, they really are nice to have ... and since we hat wearers don't really care what other people think ... we go ahead and wear them.

The most common use in this part of the world is in the summer by postal carriers, and that ought to tell us something!

A good pith helmet really is one of the more utilitarian pieces of headgear that you can still buy.

That's a good one.

The cheap costume ones aren't worth owning, in my opinion.

Edward

Bartender
NeilA said:
Thanks Lefty, I searched pith helmet and didn't come up with much. I guess I'll use one word searches from now on.

The onboard search facility on the Lounge can be a touch temperamental.... the best results are to be had by turning instead to Google, where you should type:

Fedora Lounge

followed by your search terms. Works pretty well for me.

I'm always in two minds about the pith. They seem a little costume at times... I'd like a decent one, just not sure I'd wear it. I do have a plastic one that is for all the world like a construction site hard hat (not sure if it has the official certifications, but it's the same plastic), but shaped like pith helmet. Does the job for costume purposes (I used it for a Doctor Gonzo costume one New Year), but not really the sort of thing one would wear as regular headwear.

I recall that either the town, county or state workers that you would see over by Jones Beach Fire Island and Robert Moses State Park would some times be wearing a white pith helmet. Seem I recal being directed by some pith helmet wearing crew when it came to parking at these beach parks parking lots. Maybe some of the maintainance crew too.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I recall that either the town, county or state workers that you would see over by Jones Beach Fire Island and Robert Moses State Park would some times be wearing a white pith helmet. Seem I recal being directed by some pith helmet wearing crew when it came to parking at these beach parks parking lots. Maybe some of the maintainance crew too.

As I noted, it's quite common here to see postal carriers wearing pitch helmets ... or at least some sort of sun helmet ... in the summer months.

The Army and Marines had piths until recently ... maybe they still do?

Anyone know if that's still an issue item?

I figured they were for tropic wear.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
I have one I think I got from Major Surplus in Gardena ages ago. It's similar to one of the US designs and has this awful vynul plastic head harness that acts as a sweat dam. if you take the thing off you get flooded with sweat in the eyes. I need to put some type of terry cloth cover on the harness maybe. To me it seems like it keeps the heat off until I am hot then it radiates my heat back onto me. I mostly wear it mowing lawns at church.

Link to web site: www.majorsurplus.com

The sweat in my ancient French-style pith helmet--from Sears Roebuck, of all places--is not made of vinyl but cheap bonded leather, yet I had the same problem as you and came up with an simple solution with a cotton terry cloth sweatband. Here's how to rig it:

First, untie the "shoelaces" at the back of the factory sweat there to adjust it for fit. Later piths use Velcro, but whatever the method of fastening, just detach the two ends.

Next, get a terry sweat like basketball players wear. I had a bunch on hand in the drawer, but you'll probably need to check specialty sports vendors, especially to find a wide one, which is preferable. Traditional cotton's OK, but they're now available in a synthetic "performace" terry material that both wicks perspiration and enables it to evaporate much better than 100% cotton.

I was in a hurry--in the middle of July yardwork--and just used 1 1/2-inch safety pins to fasten it. The terry sweat is basically a round tube, so I stuck the pins through one side, over the factory sweat, then fastened the pin together so that only the inside of the tube touches my head. Be careful to make each of your two sticks into the terry sweats about a half inch away from the border to ensure the metal never touches your head.

The hardest part is keeping the terry tube evenly distributed around the inside diameter of the factory sweat as you pin the two toegether. I used eight safety pins, but twelve would have been better. As I said, I was in a hurry.

Finally, put the pith on, fasten the laces or velcro back together for proper fit, and get your butt back to yardwork

Better would be to unravel the terry sweat's seam, stretch it completely around the factory sweat, then sew the seam back together so that the factory sweat is completely enveloped. However, doing it this way might cause the terry sweat to bind against the metal brackets where they are attached with sliding rivets to the factory sweat in order to keep the sweat centered over the head and allow for an equidistant gap all around for optimal air circulation.

Then again, as those piths from Village Hat Shop are pretty decent and really inexpensive, the slimpest solution would be to just buy a new one!

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I got my pith helmet from Brigade Quartermaster several years ago. it is the WWII-style and is very good quality. The WWII style you can find at various surplus outlets for $20-$30.

I bought my first one for the express purpose of annoying my first wife (I was still married then). It worked! But I also fell in love with the practicality and usefulness of it. It is a wonderful summer work hat. And a great conversation starter.....

Pete

Burton

One of the Regulars
I have several of them, a couple of antique British Indian style, a fake British Zulu War model (it actually has velcro in the hatband, yuck!) and one made for Willis & Geiger with a real zebra hatband. I only use them for display as they are a bit over the top for me.

JLrep

New in Town
Is there a consensus on whether the French or Indian style is better? —By better, I mean more effective at keeping one cool in very hot, sunny weather. johnnycanuck, you said you prefer the Indian. Is that because you find it more effective, or simply more to your taste?

(Apologies for reviving an old thread. I would've PMed johnnycanuck or others, but I just joined the forum and don't have that privilege yet. And I'm on rather a time limit for getting a good hat for African weather.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany