Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Indian fits low on my head so I do get good sun protection without the hat being to big. Just personal preference I guess.
Johnny

billyspew

One Too Many
JLrep said:
Is there a consensus on whether the French or Indian style is better? —By better, I mean more effective at keeping one cool in very hot, sunny weather. johnnycanuck, you said you prefer the Indian. Is that because you find it more effective, or simply more to your taste?

(Apologies for reviving an old thread. I would've PMed johnnycanuck or others, but I just joined the forum and don't have that privilege yet. And I'm on rather a time limit for getting a good hat for African weather.)

I've found in my limited experience that the Indian seems better for a cool head (more air flow around the head?), the French seems better for sun protection.

Chascomm

New in Town
I have my grandfather's old topee. My wife permits me to wear it on the understanding that I will only wear it out of sight of the general public. I wear it while hanging out the washing in the back yard where it protects me from the sun and the sharp corners of the clothesline frame.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I'm sure your "Mrs" would have other ideas on the "Pith" if she saw Angelina Jolie, wearing one in the "new Idea"

prodzoomimg1274.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Pith Helmets

Oi! Got a piff 'elmet? Let's 'ave a look at 'em.

I've had this one for a least 25 years. Haven't had a need for it under the grey skies of Vancouver Island, but it came in handy when I lived in Arizona. I don't really know anything about it, so a bit of identification would be appreciated. I assume those hooks are for attaching a neck cloth, so if anyone has a photo or description (with measurements) of what it should look like, I'd like to see it so I can make one. Is the leather strap at the back a part of the attachment for the neck cloth or is it for something else?

PiffElmut1.JPG

PiffElmut2.JPG

PiffElmut3.JPG

PiffElmut4.JPG

Mike K.

One Too Many
I agree with BT.

Interestingly, here is the same helmet depicted on www.militarytrader.com with the note "The South African sun helmet, which was based on civilian polo helmets, may be the basis of the myth that German troops in the Afrikakorps used captured Dutch helmets."

SouthAfricanPoloSunHelmetWEB.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Keeping an eye out for an old-fashioned BOMBAY BOWLER.

For example:

bombaybowler3.jpg

bombaybowler2.jpg

bombaybowler1.jpg

bombaybowler.jpg

To go with my Safari jacket.
SAFARIJACKET004.jpg

Where on earth can I pick up an old Cawnpore style helmet from the days of Empire gents...?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Anyone...?

[huh] Any pointers towards a 20's/30's type Cawnpore styled pith...? Ones I've seen on Ebay are just too small. Other areas to look at...? be appreciated.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I was about to ask why this thread isn't in the Hats forum, but I see that the Hats forum is no longer for "Everything from fedoras to pith helmets." A change that came about when all the pith helmet threads were merged?

Cheers,
Tom

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The actual Cawnpore(Kanpur) style helmets are pretty thin in the ground,
especially in good condition and good sizes.
Ebay is probably your best bet.
I was lucky to get this one- before the pith helmet craze.

DSCN2645.jpg

DSCN2642.jpg

Excellent condition and size 7 3/8.

In Pith Helmet terms, this is a true "Cawnpore", I think the "Bombay Bowler", is a smaller style,
often in white and not usually a military example.
Good Wolsely stylle helmets seem quite available, I also have a nice example.

B
T

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sun Helmets of the World

Coincidentally, 13 months ago to the day, I posted about a Sun Helmet book on the 19th Century Explorer thread. I'll repost here for the Pith enthusiasts:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=782450&postcount=24

MrBern said:
FYI, for those of you interested in the far ranging adoption of Pith Helmets from the 19th Century to current, heres an extensive new book.
The author (a friend from local militaria shows) received them this morning & was good enuff to allow me the first autographed hardcover purchase.

http://militarysunhelmets.com/

frontcover.jpg
backcover.jpg

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I routinely use a sun helmet when working outside. It is a Vietnam-era surplus helmet. The inside is marked:

HELMET, SUN
DSA 100-4036
8415-161-4773

I have a photo of my father on his ship in the Pacific during WW2, with him wearing a sun helmet and smoking his pipe. I'll try to find it and post it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy