Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ethan Bentley said:
Thanks for the comments so far.

I do like the look of the British style and I think that would look good with a beard. But I think it would be harder to pull of than the Indian version as a sun hat. Also perhaps the wider brim would keep more sun off.

What do people think?
I think you would look goofy as heck in a pith helmet. Not you per se, but a pith helmet in general. Unless you carry your elephant gun with you.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Here is a photo of my dad, somewhere in the Pacific, Spring 1945.

DadSunHelmet.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sir Paddy, just "discovered" you on this thread wearing your "exploring" togs here...

Wow... Looking good in this terrific CHAIR wearing your safari jacket and hat (and look at those whiskers!:)) And you've just now snagged a pith helmet to wear with that jacket too?

Sigh, I think I need to watch Australia, Out of Africa and the 1950s Stewart Grainger version of King Solomon's Mines again...

PADDY said:
To go with my Safari jacket.
SAFARIJACKET004.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Got one in my size (thanks Mike K. ).
1930's, Indian Pith. Now for the Gin...
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Woohooo! Glad you snagged that one Paddy...and for a really great price too!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Kilo for mentioning this, TMWWBK is a great, great film. I'll have to dig out my well used old VHS copy and watch it again.:) Love Christopher Plummer in the bit part as Rudyard Kipling in it too.

KILO NOVEMBER said:
In re hats and The Man Who Would Be King, in one scene Connery and Caine are drilling the men of Urheb. They are berating a group of trainees who couldn't possibly understand their English. At one point, Connery is standing next to a particularly inept prospect and says, "A good soldier doesn't think! He obeys! You there with the 5 1/2 hat size, you've got the makings of a real hero!"

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Excellent Panache, this looks great on you! A terrific birthday gift!
Panache said:
Edward,

I was recently given a pith helmet by a friend for my birthday. I came up with an outfit inspired by Highland Regiments stationed in tropical climes to where to the various Highland Games held in California during the summer. I debuted this outfit at an event where the heat hit almost 108 degrees. I was very pleased with the shade it provided, this was the first games I attended without getting badly sunburnt.

I might not wear it out and about all the time, but there are very comfortable.

DSC06172-1.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
GENTS why so many pics of the piths on this thread- BUT so few pics of them actually being worn by their owners??

(said by moi, who has one that was found in a local antique store and was just today thinking of a staged table set up picturing mine, since I do not have a ladies safari jacket or something else suitable to wear with it- yet!) Love this outfit from Baz Luhrman's Australia...
Steampunk+Kidman.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
My wife might look at me like I've grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead, but after looking through this thread, I must get myself a pith helmet!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Nah she's won't Spats, I'm a lady and I think they look great on the gents...Go for it!

Spats McGee said:
My wife might look at me like I've grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead, but after looking through this thread, I must get myself a pith helmet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21