Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Panache

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
GENTS why so many pics of the piths on this thread- BUT so few pics of them actually being worn by their owners??

cC,

Here is mine in action at the Sacramento Highland Games a month or so ago with my lovely wife.

DSC02133.jpg

I really like this ensemble for hot weather outside. I have aquired a more period simple brown sporran but still need a web belt which would be more appropriate than the brown leather one I have.

I still have yet to try soaking my helmet in water before wearing though. Perhaps if it gets really hot this summer...

Cheers

Jamie

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Note from Edinburgh ...

Panache. Great outfit . Kilt looking good. Though I am a trews man...don't have the kilt legs..! Lovely Pith..thanks for sharing .

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Thank you Panache! You two are lovely and handsome as ever, Panache. You wear the kilt style so very well Sir! I really like your lady's look, would you please ask her for me where she found her dress? I would like to find a good outdoors-ish safari-ish blouse/skirt combo or dress to wear with my pith!

Panache said:
cC,

Here is mine in action at the Sacramento Highland Games a month or so ago with my lovely wife.

DSC02133.jpg

I really like this ensemble for hot weather outside. I have aquired a more period simple brown sporran but still need a web belt which would be more appropriate than the brown leather one I have.

I still have yet to try soaking my helmet in water before wearing though. Perhaps if it gets really hot this summer...

Cheers

Jamie

Panache

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Thank you Panache! You two are lovely and handsome as ever, Panache. You wear the kilt style so very well Sir! I really like your lady's look, would you please ask her for me where she found her dress? I would like to find a good outdoors-ish safari-ish blouse/skirt combo or dress to wear with my pith!

cC,

Actually I believe my I bought that for her at Target of all places a year or so ago. They sometimes have some retro inspired fashions and I pointed that dress one out to her.

I keep fighting the itch to get a British foreign service style pith helmet (more military looking) for my ensemble. How many pith helmets does one need after all?

They are stylish and actually quite practical for summer I hope you enjoy yours.

It has been told to me that in truely unbearable hot weather that that the pith helmet is soaked in water and the wearer soaked in gin and both help allieviate the discomfort of the heat.

;)

Cheers

Jamie

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
GENTS why so many pics of the piths on this thread- BUT so few pics of them actually being worn by their owners??

Hi

I own a khaki pith helmet, a bought it to wear at the county fair at our shooting booth. I put it on and it feels like I'm a toad stool. I'm an engineer, my parents were both teachers at my grade school AND high school, a was an A student etc, but the 10 minutes I spent wearing a pith helmet was the most nerdy / weird I ever felt. Even worse, my Dad wore one throughout WW2 in the South Pacific.

I wear my British WW2 slouch hat everywhere with pride, and don't feel bad.

[huh]

Later

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pith helmet arrived.

It was *billed* as a 1930's *RARE* Royal Safari Indian Pith Helmet. As SOON as I opened the box, it was obvious to me that it was neither 1930's, nor a true pith helmet. Disappointed - 'yes!' Philosophical about it...'yes.' It's more hassle to return it to the US than keep it and 'try' to improve it..[huh] So I'll make a leather 'floating' sweatband and a silk liner. The scunched up paper on the inside of the helmet, will just have to stay, but sadly I cannot soak it.

From the outside view, it looks good. Turn it over and you see the sweat-band is plastic, there is a bowl shaped plastic piece as a liner and rather than 'pith' filling the helmet, it is scrunched up paper!! Either I've been *had,* or...as I am trying to positively look at it, the seller didn't know what it was, looked up something similar on Ebay and called it after that one.

Anyway, on a positive note, here's a few pics from a few days ago (as I'm away with work).

safari011.jpg

safari009.jpg

safari008.jpg

safari022.jpg

safari019.jpg

safari017.jpg

safari013.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
It looks great from the outside Paddy. Sorry it wasn't as advertised. Too bad the seller didn't post a photo of the inside liner. I'll keep an eye open for a real one for you.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to hear about the problems with this, of not necessarily being the "real deal" as was expected, but it truly does look great on you regardless Sir! Terrific photos, thank you for sharing them with all of us on FL. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

PADDY said:
Anyway, on a positive note, here's a few pics from a few days ago (as I'm away with work).

safari011.jpg

safari017.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
It was *billed* as a 1930's *RARE* Royal Safari Indian Pith Helmet. ...

safari011.jpg

Hi, where did you find the bush jacket? It looks heavier than WPG and Cabela's, and the belt is better.

Thanks

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Mike.

Yes, the search continues for an original Pith.[huh]

As far as I know you cannot get this Safari Jacket any longer, but it is indeed very well made (with classic action back) and the belt buckle is leather (as are the buttons). Hard to find a good one.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it didn't look so old from the photos, the plastic is a bit of a giveaway
and the "old", British ones were a bit bigger.

I would not recommend soaking any "Pith helmet", modern, or antique,
it will be destroyed.

Keep on hunting-
the pith is out there...

B
T

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks BT/

Yes the search continues. Pity you hadn't seen this previously as I could have benefited from your experience and observations .

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Puzzicato said:
Yup, when my husband announced today that he wanted a pith helmet, that was pretty much how I looked at him!

"You are so right a "Bombay Bowler" looks perfectly ridiculous in the Northern Hemisphere, Sorry Chaps!, unless you are wearing it secretly in your walled garden, however, one does hear that you are experiencing a rather frightfully, Torrid Summer "

4124349976_5614ccd955.jpg

[YOUTUBE]cS4vUaNQKHk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Highlander

A-List Customer
Panache, great photo, I may steal the style for wearing my kilt in such a manner.

Panache said:
cC,

DSC02133.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner