Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes...

Creeping Past said:
I found this a while back. I emailed them about sizing but got no reply.

I notice that us pith-loving big heads are getting special treatment these days: See 'Big head version'. Who'd have thought that only tiny headed folk were wanting them previously?

I have my eye on that. But don't like the plastic bits at the side protruding. Might have to customise it somewhat if push-comes-to-shove for me to buy it.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
PADDY said:
I have my eye on that. But don't like the plastic bits at the side protruding. Might have to customise it somewhat if push-comes-to-shove for me to buy it.

That was my first thought. If I'd received a positive reply about sizes from them, I was thinking of removing the plastic bits and plugging or taping over the gap.

If I knew what those little metal 'sieve' grommets are actually called, I'd use them. I know what they look like but don't have a word for them...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Metal grommets...

Can't be too hard to get hold of a nice brass pair and replace them. But you wonder 'why' the company doesn't do that themselves...[huh] It's the little details that make all the difference.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Can't be too hard to get hold of a nice brass pair and replace them. But you wonder 'why' the company doesn't do that themselves...[huh] It's the little details that make all the difference.

With 10 mins' internet searching I've found out that it's a brass mesh eyelet/grommet combo we're looking for, as per Tilley hat ventilation.

Someone should place a bulk order for these items and make them available through 'Classifieds' as custom replacements for an otherwise excellent hat. :D

If anyone from Village Hats is reading, hear our plea.... ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Essentially, these would do the job (as exemplified on this helmet), and I'm sure one can source them.

bombaybowler3.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
FYI, for those of you interested in the far ranging adoption of Pith Helmets from the 19th Century to current, heres an extensive new book.
The author (a friend from local militaria shows) received them this morning & was good enuff to allow me the first autographed hardcover purchase.

http://militarysunhelmets.com/
Nice! You should bring the book along the next time we do lunch! :)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Surry Puddy, wis jast windering what hut size [...] Mr. Crooping Pest are-

Z
#

Nigh then, catch yerself on, Tanko.

Gentlemen, it seems we have a replacement... dimension collector. :eek:

59 cm hat, since you're asking, ta. Not so sure about grommet size.

CP

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If you have a fairly thin or long face, I know the taller british style will work. I have a friend who owns one that looks great on him.

If you can find a local uniform store, preferable one that sells postal uniforms, you might get lucky and find a pith to try on. I don't recommend buying the postal version, but for a look in the mirror, it's worth a try.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have bought from this company before and would recommend it. As for style I would go for the Indian Pith Helmet or the Wolseley, just personal preference. I would also ask for the suspension head band. I prefer it over the leather one. allows more air flow. My two cents worth.
Johnny

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments so far.

I do like the look of the British style and I think that would look good with a beard. But I think it would be harder to pull of than the Indian version as a sun hat. Also perhaps the wider brim would keep more sun off.

What do people think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24