Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Alright, Here is my vintage Banana Republic Bombay Bowler that I got the other day.
100_7235.jpg
100_7236.jpg

Needs a bit of airing out as it came from a smokers home, but I think a day in the sun & wind will take care of that detail.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Next up is my WPG Wolseley that just arrived just hours ago.
100_7255.jpg
100_7248.jpg

As I suspected it is a tad on the snug side. But, the sweatband is leather, and backed with some sort of fiber board and felt. It is very easy to remove, and so were the foam spacers. I think a bit of snipping of the fiber board ins some strategic points will help facilitate stretching out the sweatband into a comfortable fit. once that is done I can add some spacers back in. maybe some of those green felt numbers one gets for furniture feet as they are not as thick.

All in all not a bad piece of kit for ones adventure. Now where is my gin & tonic?!

Cheers!

Dan

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Damn, now you've got me planning to wear mine this weekend with my kilt at the Highland Games. Kilt, wool socks, sgian-dubh, white polo and helmet . . . check! Just the ticket for downing a brew or three and a couple of haggis. Yum!

Baggers

Practically Family
That looks great, Dan! Only difference from mine is your chin strap is darker. Mine came with a natural unfinished, slightly pebbled (if I recall), brass buckled strap that has simply darkened over the years.

And Vampyre Master, your helmet is excellent. I wish I could find an original Wolsely in as good a condition as that. As for the liner, I have what I believe are two South African patterned helmets with narrower brims that have that same leather sweat band with the drawstring. I'll post a picture or two tomorrow after I dig them out.

Cheers!

ETA: And Dan, your Wolsely looks fine as well. It's a shame WPG can't get hold of more of them.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
For me Sarge, throw in a gin and tonic and Bob's your Uncle! You must post pics of that event.

Baggers, sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what you have there.

Cheers!

Dan

here's mine
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg

as you can see it has the 6 layer ribbon, the full kit, only modern item the scarf
today.jpg

thats the daddy of them all H.M.Stanley born ten min from here
keep 'em coming!!
VM

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That is one great looking lid VM. Looks like it has a long and varied story behind every ding, scrape and stain. Thanks for sharing that. Great shot of you and Stanley. :eusa_clap

Baggers, Jerry recently told me that he was going to do a new run on the Wolseley pith helmet, he just wasn't sure of the time frame. Maybe later this year. Let's keep our fingeres crossed.

I do plan on somewhere in the near future on changing to pugaree out on my Wolseley and creating a 6 to 9 fold style, similar to the one VM has on his original. Something that has more presence, maybe adding in a regimental color at the top. Something that I can incorporate a neck curtain into. Who knows?

Cheers!

Dan

DNO

One Too Many
Terrific Wolseley helmet VM. You have inspired me to dig out my own! I picked this one up about 25 years ago. It's marked to the 4th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment. The 1/4 Royal Sussex landed at Suvla Bay on August 8 1915. After the Gallipoli campaign, the unit served in Egypt and Palestine until June 1918 when it shipped off to the Western Front. The helmet is sound but has seen better days ... I suspect it had a rough life.

Wolseleyside.png

Wolseleyfront.png

Wolseleyback-2.png

Wolseleytop.png

Wolseleyinside.png

Wolseleymarks.png

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Man, DNO, that one sure has some history to go along with that rough life. The pugaree is rather unique looking too. Quite a few folds in that one.
Those scorch marks on top look like it was accidentally dropped in a fire briefly, or at least touched something quite on the hot side. If these vintage gems could talk, the stories they could tell. Well done and thank you for sharing DNO. If it is still sound, it could probably handle a few light duty adventures up there.

Cheers!

Dan

DNO

One Too Many
Man, DNO, that one sure has some history to go along with that rough life. The pugaree is rather unique looking too. Quite a few folds in that one.
Those scorch marks on top look like it was accidentally dropped in a fire briefly, or at least touched something quite on the hot side. If these vintage gems could talk, the stories they could tell. Well done and thank you for sharing DNO. If it is still sound, it could probably handle a few light duty adventures up there.

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks Dan. I was excited to find a piece of kit that may have actually been at Gallipoli. When I picked it up years ago there was no internet and information was fairly sparse, so I never pursued the possibility of identifying the individual soldier, serial number 2104. Today, it's a much richer information environment. I poked around today and discovered that the private with serial number 2101 was killed in action at Suvla in September 1915. That would certainly seem to suggest that the soldier with serial number 2104 was there as well. With a bit more digging I think I may have found my man...Private Edward Barnett. That's all I know at the moment but it's always more interesting if you can link a name with an item!

David

Last edited:

Baggers

Practically Family
Just a quick post to say that some great stuff has been posted in the last day or so, and to also post a link to the blog Military Sun Helmets I happened upon this evening while searching for something else vaguely related. Some interesting stuff at that site.

I haven't had time to take shots of my SA pattern helmets yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Cheers!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Those are some nice helmets the boys are wearing but I'd really rather see more of Dorothy!

And honestly Sarge, who wouldn't?:D But, we are here to discuss & display pith helmets in all their forms. Sorry to be a buzz kill.;)

Here are a few shots of films involving H.M. Stanley and Dr. Livingstone.

Stanley & Livingstone (1939)
stanley-and-livingstone-movie-poster-1939-1020521964.jpg
SpencerTracyStanletandLivingstone.jpg

and of course the real H.M. Stanley
Henry-Stanley-006.jpg

Some shots from Forbidden Territory: Stanley's search for Livingstone
henrymortonstanley.jpg

Interesting pug on his helmet here
forbidden-territory-stanleys-search-for-livingstone-2-1.jpeg

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
WWII Royal Flying Corps
!BrjHP)wB2k~$(KGrHqQOKk!EvPnWIPp+BL0Iw,p(dQ~~_3.JPG

This one depicts perhaps the countries most distinguished individual combat instructor, Col. Anthony Joseph Drexel Biddle giving a bayonet class at Parris Island Recruit Training Depot, S.C. in August 1942. Col. Biddle was recalled to active duty during World War Two when he was 68 years old and served for the duration.
wunuj9.jpg

Sgt. Maxfield Hurlbut Dunlap at the Marine Corps base at Parris Island, SC, May 1942.
uniform_usmc_khaki_pith_400.jpg

Weapon training.
post-214-1260220296.jpg

I know that there are many more of ours and our allies Nations heroes to show off in their pith helmets but I only had time today for these few. Hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot