Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I tried to grow the 19th century British cavalry whiskers (well I did actually grow them or rather I shaved off the chin and underneath-my-jawbone part of my beard) one spring and had these cool whiskers for a matter of hours until I was forced to shave them off. My wife is fine with a full beard or clean-shaven look, but anything in between is just not kosher as far as she is concerned. So, in the interests of domestic diplomacy we compromised and I shaved the spiffy whiskers off. :p

de Stokesay

Sir, I know the feeling well. I sported a rather dashing English handlebar for the tweed run this year, 5 months growth to be removed after the event. SWMBO complained every day so I gave in.There are other things I want to do!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Exactly. Whenever I went to Africa I grew this. OldSargelarge.jpg The Mrs. tolerated it because the understanding was that I would shave when I got home. Last winter I fell and split open my chin. Since shaving over sutures is impossible I just grew a sort of a sea captain/Amish-ish thing along the lower jaw with no mustache. Leaving off the mustache met approval. I shaved it off at the beginning of summer but I think in a month or so I may grow it back.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
but I think in a month or so I may grow it back.
:eusa_clap

Good for you, young man! I can only grow facial hair for a defined period and still I get moaned. I have been told that when I'm 60 I can grow a beard if I like but it will be too grey/white and grizzled to bother with!!!
7310223560_1bcec04657_o.jpg
[/url] The Vanguard by fiddlersgreen, on Flickr[/IMG]

mmmh?, mountain man me-thinks perhaps I will;)

Hunting_010_med.jpg

Liking the look and the pith helmet Old Sarge

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
She actually said that? :D Man, with an invitation like that, how can you resist? Teach her to say there's anything wrong with white and grizzled. Just don't let her know the proper term is 'iron grey'! :cool:

And I have positively got to build myself a Martini sporter like that! Something in .303 Brit should do just fine for a walkabout in Africa.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Yes, the whiskers definitely go well with the pith. I was supposed to retire last March, and my intention was to immediately start growing a nice set of Victorian whiskers. Instead found myself first extending, and now re-enlisting for another four years, so no facial hair for me until 2017. At that point I hit 33 years, so only an act of Congress can keep me in! After that, I hope to look like Sarge's avatar within a few months. I may have Mr Godfrey's issue by then, but what the hey, grizzled whiskers can only make you look distinguished.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Yes, the whiskers definitely go well with the pith. I was supposed to retire last March, and my intention was to immediately start growing a nice set of Victorian whiskers. Instead found myself first extending, and now re-enlisting for another four years, so no facial hair for me until 2017. At that point I hit 33 years, so only an act of Congress can keep me in! After that, I hope to look like Sarge's avatar within a few months. I may have Mr Godfrey's issue by then, but what the hey, grizzled whiskers can only make you look distinguished.

LOL When I hit twenty-nine the Army said, "Top, it's been a good ride but it's over. Bye!" I'd spent so much effort avoiding being in a command position until then that I never could have gotten in Sergeant Major Academy so they wouldn't let me hang around. Then came 9/11. I shaved off my ponytail and almost went back in but then remembered that I carry a 40% disability and they probably wouldn't want me back anyway. However, I have heard that senior NCO's are in such short supply that MSG's are allowed to stay in over thirty. And let me tell you, that Thrivent for Life makes every second of my duty time worthwhile. Pension doesn't hurt, either.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
let's talk about pith helmets

hi gang
and with it being the weekend and my friday night drink in full swing, also my aussie slouch hat project ended.
i turn my attention to a new whim.
ive found myself the owner of a british artillary and royal engineer hat badges.
im in the mood for a pith helmet to place my badge on and wear while drinking beer in the backyard.
which brings me to the point how many of us have pith helmets,what style are they and how do you enjoy them?
charlie

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
No one in our home has one. Not knowing much about them, as they seem to look solid in construction, are they actually "cool" to wear in hot summer weather?

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
thats the great thing about this forum it gives us the oppritunity to try new things backyard drinking beer sitting in front of the pc its all good
PITH HELMETS FOR EVERYONE

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Last year I saw a guy wearing one during one of our major heat waves, and I thought it was a very practical hat for extreme heat, allowing some room between head and hat for air to circulate.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I had to wear one for awhile and wasn't fond of it.. one thing I noticed is the even a very very small pebble about the size of 3 pin heads can make a very loud sound if it hits the pith helmet while you are wearing it... kind of like living in a garbage can........

Nice is there is a breeze but then so is a semi colado panama, trick is you need a breeze....

I would say that opinion was pretty much the answer of all who were wearing pith helmets with me.

21j9e8y.jpg

ingineer

One Too Many
Two our postal carriers wear a white one, not the blue one which I think was made of plastic.
I don't believe that any are made of cork any longer, but those could be soaked in water, and give evaporation cooling.
Richard

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
im not talking practical.
hasnt anyone just wanted to wear a certain kind of hat just to be wearing it.
call it a silly hat if you will just something to put on that takes you to another place or meets you there after x amount of alchohol or what have you.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
My paternal grandfather was a construction foreman for TVA and wore a pith helmet and khaki work clothes as part of his daily work "uniform". Seeing old B&W photos of him on the job, he always looked to me like he was going on safari. He'd also often wear one around the house when working outside in summer or mowing the lawn. I have seen a few mail carriers also wear them around here in recent years as part of their uniform. I own a couple of them, one plastic and one authentic cork, and love wearing them.

Here's the shot I often use as my avatar.

614965_10152088617905077_870585253_o.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Two our postal carriers wear a white one, not the blue one which I think was made of plastic.
I don't believe that any are made of cork any longer, but those could be soaked in water, and give evaporation cooling.
Richard

FYI, traditional cork pith helmets are available on eBay in a couple different styles.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a few pith helmets all from here
http://www.villagehatshop.com/category/84/1/pith-helmets.html
if your hat size is 7 3/8 or smaller you should be fine. I am a 7 1/2 (or a 7 3/8 LO) and the regular size is to small.
If you are interested there is a big "pith helmet thread of doom"that was moved over to the great outdoors section.
Hope that helps some.
Johnny
BTW Love the helmets for a bit of fun and a laugh. Put on your Utilikilt and head off to the pub, you will be the talk of the town :)
Johnny

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I had a real pith helmet and they are excellent hats for hot weather. They shade you, allow circulation, and you can wet them and get some evaporative cooling.

I got a decent one from Village Hat Shop. I should get a new one, as my old one wore out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran