Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

jkingrph

Practically Family
skwerl-hat said:
im glad this came up! i just found my first pith helmet the other day at a thrift store looks exactly like this
01010901020601040920080416d09e77611bf0916d19002ea8.jpg

it seems like the ideal warm weather head gear but is it worth the slings and arrow of outragous commentary [huh]

I have had one like this for years, It is great for lawn mowing on a hot sunny day. When I was in
Air Force OTS back in late 60's we had to wear them in hot weather and really appreciated them when on that hot drill pad in San Antonio in early summer. I do not envy the guys in the next couple of classes, those there July through September.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hokay...I've read this thread and the others linked thereunto. So please help me out on a myriad of questions:

Where did this headgear develop? Did they mostly switch from pith to cork filling at some point? Was that good or bad? If the idea is to soak cork and let the water evaporate over the course of a day as some have said, why oh why do the corks in my wine bottles absorb so very little water?

Do they all have the suspended sweatband idea, and is that a big part of their cooling function?

Are pith helmets a really good and practical idea that is now sadly neglected, or just a poorly-substantiated notion of the era, like wearing two felt hats one on top of another to "trap" heat in between?

No intent to rain on anybody's parade...I think they look cool too, just have never understood all the whys and wherefores and looking for enlightenment.

- Bill

rgraham

A-List Customer
I believe the suspension system has a lot to do with its function. If you look at the inside of Sgt. Rumble's hat in the post a couple above this one, you will also see on the inside a large brass opening at the top. From the outside, it's covered with a round dome that has slots around its edge. The hat itself is quite tall, and I'm sure convection has something to do with the effect as well. Some of the older piths were covered on the inside with foil to reflect the heat off the outside of the hat. Regarding the water dipping, I'm sure it was done, but I doubt it was done as a rule. That hat alone is pretty functional. I can bet the only water that got onto the Sgt. Rumbles hat was his own sweat.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
It seemed like a good idea, at the time, but mine has suffered years of neglect. I think I wanted it because my Granddaddy always wore one when he was plowing with his tractor.

P1050188.jpg

I must have been about four when I asked him what kind of hat that was. He replied that, "When a man has a hat like this, he will always have a pot to pith in." I didn't get it, at the time. :eek: lol

vivaciousvivo

New in Town
rgraham said:
I believe the suspension system has a lot to do with its function. If you look at the inside of Sgt. Rumble's hat in the post a couple above this one, you will also see on the inside a large brass opening at the top. From the outside, it's covered with a round dome that has slots around its edge. The hat itself is quite tall, and I'm sure convection has something to do with the effect as well. Some of the older piths were covered on the inside with foil to reflect the heat off the outside of the hat. Regarding the water dipping, I'm sure it was done, but I doubt it was done as a rule. That hat alone is pretty functional. I can bet the only water that got onto the Sgt. Rumbles hat was his own sweat.

rgraham,

Do you think that brass thingy inside acts like a vent? That too would be a very good feature....!

VV

rgraham

A-List Customer
vivaciousvivo said:
rgraham,

Do you think that brass thingy inside acts like a vent? That too would be a very good feature....!

VV

It is a vent. It is not an adjustable one, just the outlet for the warm air to exit.

Also notice how the back of the helmet flips up and is flat. This was constructed so that the hat would clear the backpack when out protecting the empire. The sweatband is suspended by bits of round cork. When new, I'm sure the cork was less compressed, and allowed a free flow of air to enter around the edge.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting hat, but I can't help thinking they're taking the pith at that price....

I have an imitation pith helmet somewhere in the house - a solid plastic one with a hard-hat type plastic interior bracing system.... I bought it a few years ago for a Hunter S Thompson costume (yeah, I know.... but I was shooting for replicating the look he had in the original Fear and Lothing... illustrations). Halfway tempted to pick up a proper one for the heat we have here at present, but I'm not sure it's something I'd ever wear often enough for it to be worthwhile.

Panache

A-List Customer
Edward said:
...Halfway tempted to pick up a proper one for the heat we have here at present, but I'm not sure it's something I'd ever wear often enough for it to be worthwhile.

Edward,

I was recently given a pith helmet by a friend for my birthday. I came up with an outfit inspired by Highland Regiments stationed in tropical climes to where to the various Highland Games held in California during the summer. I debuted this outfit at an event where the heat hit almost 108 degrees. I was very pleased with the shade it provided, this was the first games I attended without getting badly sunburnt.

I might not wear it out and about all the time, but there are very comfortable.

TIMG_1895.jpg

DSC06172-1.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Panache said:
Have you tried soaking the helmet in water before going out? I've done this and it worked perfectly,. I was afraid it would damage it, but it didn't. The way they used them in India 130 years ago was to plunk the helmet in a bucket of water and soaking the cork (the "pith") that the helmet was made of. The water would evaporate during the day, greatly enhancing the helmet's ability to keep your head cool.
Glad to see so many "Pith Finders" here.
Edit: This is what happens if you don't read the whole thread. Didn't see John the Greek's thorough explanation of the water soaking routine. Ah, well. Department of Redundancy Department!

KenS

New in Town
I'll Fess Up.

During hot weather I wear a French style Pith Helmet around my place to do the maintenance. Having nearly two acres to mow, often a large Veggie garden, and lots of trimming to do, I spend a lot of time outside. A pith helmet is a sensible, comfortable piece of equipment. Plus, it gives the neighbors something to laugh at...lol
Ken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy