Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I can't believe some of you would hesitate to wear your pith helmets in public.

It may look silly wearing one to the office or down a city street, because that's not the environment it was designed for. But I have no problem wearing mine sailboating, canoeing, hiking, or any other outdoor activity where I need good suncover.

It only starts to look odd if you try to compliment it with a safari jacket and jodphurs.

Panache

A-List Customer
Matt Crunk said:
...It only starts to look odd if you try to compliment it with a safari jacket and jodphurs.

Hmmm...I think I have to respectfully disgree. I think with a pith helmet it really should be all or nothing. (Says Panache who has a safari jacket and a horsetail fly whisk en route to him in the mail as he writes this!) ;)

Cheers

Jamie

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Matt Crunk said:
I can't believe some of you would hesitate to wear your pith helmets in public.

It may look silly wearing one to the office or down a city street, because that's not the environment it was designed for. But I have no problem wearing mine sailboating, canoeing, hiking, or any other outdoor activity where I need good suncover.

It only starts to look odd if you try to compliment it with a safari jacket and jodphurs.

I just saw Clark Gable in the movie They Met in Bombay. The movie takes place in India. And Gable looks quite at ease wearing a three piece suit and pith helmet. Of course Gable looks at ease wearing most anything.

LordBest

Practically Family
My new Wolseley* Pith Helmet, the same sort Village Hat Shop sell, I believe.
adventurechap.jpg
sidepith.jpg

Unfortunately I am not allowed to wear it on public, for I shall be disowned and exiled.

*Actually Foreign Service pattern, thanks Baggers.

Baggers

Practically Family
With all due respect LordBest, your helmet is not a Wolseley pattern helmet but the earlier Foreign Service pattern helmet. Rgraham's helmet a few posts above is a Wolseley.

Cheers!

LordBest

Practically Family
Thank you for correcting me, I appreciate it. I shall update my records. Foreign Service pattern sounds really rather impressive. Whatever it is called I love the way it looks and feels.

Baggers said:
With all due respect LordBest, your helmet is not a Wolseley pattern helmet but the earlier Foreign Service pattern helmet. Rgraham's helmet a few posts above is a Wolseley.

Cheers!

RPeers

One of the Regulars
The Coolest Pith Helmet You've Seen Today

A friend of mine owns a framing studio and art gallery. This pith helmet is owned by one of his clients. I thought that some of you may find this an interesting piece of art.

Enjoy

3236264157_99164f43b3.jpg

3236264313_839414a3e6.jpg

3237107460_e7b3a7caac.jpg

3237106932_bc19990058.jpg

3236265223_26a0ae0af8.jpg

3237108560_948e9e1a21.jpg

3237108358_d84d470c0e.jpg

3237108164_54b98f62ca.jpg

3237107102_9f5a3dec08.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just a bunch of "regular" guys

This helmet has to have an interesting history. It sure looks WW II vintage, and the general theme suggests that a whole lot of guys stationed somewhere were having serious tummy troubles. Looks more like American than British jargon, so my general guess would be the South Pacific somewhere. I tried to Google that artists name, R Skuce???, but got nothing.
This could be an actual art category: military vernacular cartoon humor. I have a piece from WW II done by Fred Rhoades of the USMC Leatherneck, featuring my mom and Qizmo and Eightball, and a WW I vintage footlocker of my grandfather's that also features similar cartoon art. Fun stuff. But this one is reeeallly right up there.
For starters, I'll bet someone here can identify the specific style of helmet.

RPeers

One of the Regulars
No unfortunately I have not been able to ask the owner of the pith helmet for expressed permission to show these shots, however I do have permission to take a picture of the unpaid for plexi-glass case in which it is being stored... so if you can see the pith helmet through the box that is not my fault and I take no responsibility ;)

RPeers

dhermann1 said:
BTW, does the owner know that this helmet had been plastered all over the internet? Are we sure he won't mind???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner