Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes doing ok?

Banzai

Familiar Face
I haven't looked at the G&B site in a while, but a recent look showed that several models have been discontinued (including the "Expedition", which is my favorite jacket I own), and all their jackets have no price or ordering options, simply a "call for availability" on the website.

I wonder if their jacket business is a bit on the rocks...or if these are just intentional changes.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Apparently you used to be able to customize to a degree; a made to order jacket in the leather of your choosing. Then they stopped doing that, then gradually cut down on their catalogue, now this...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They have advised that there isn't that much demand for leather jackets these days so they do them by arrangement rather than hold a great inventory of items. The discontinued items are the ones that haven't made them any real money for some years.

Deacon211

One Too Many
That's a shame. I used to be an enormous G+B fan back when they were still Flight Suits.

I thought for about the same money, the G+B was a much better jacket than the Cockpit one that I had had at about the same time. It seems like they started sliding in the '00s when they gave up custom work and started expanding their patterns from historical to, forgive the expression, "Mall Jacket Sizing".

Would hate to see them go. They are still in their own particular niche, slightly above USW and the Cockpit and below Eastman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gromulus

Practically Family
That's a shame. I used to be an enormous G+B fan back when they were still Flight Suits.

I thought for about the same money, the G+B was a much better jacket than the Cockpit one that I had had at about the same time. It seems like they started sliding in the '00s when they gave up custom work and started expanding their patterns from historical to, forgive the expression, "Mall Jacket Sizing".

Would hate to see them go. They are still in their own particular niche, slightly above USW and the Cockpit and below Eastman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I share the same experience and opinion. I have two Flight Suit A-2 jackets and for the money they are very nice. As you mentioned, the fit was also better back in those days,- before they succumbed to the new Big Mac induced "modern physique". A few years ago I thought I would buy another G&B model and requested their catalogue. Actually I requested in three times but never received it. I also emailed them several times re. some specific questions but never heard back. All for the better as it turned out.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'm interested/curious too. Do they build most of their jackets in house? I own a Coronado (perfecto Style motorcycle jacket) that is really more of a California Highway Patrol jacket. It's the thickest, most durable Cowhide leather jacket I've witnessed. Right around 11.0 lbs with the vest liner installed. I believe they do most of the airline jackets for commercial airline pilots if not mistaken.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm interested/curious too. Do they build most of their jackets in house? ...
I have visited the large G&B factory in El Cajon, a suburb of San Diego, on a couple of occasions and as far as I can determine, G&B does manufacture their goods in their large factory on site. I still have my 44T Expedition jacket but rarely wear it as I have too much other stuff that fits better.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps the clock is running on getting a G&B A-2. I LOVE my Expedition.

And no demand for leather jackets?

At the G&B end of the market demand has dropped. Certainly leather jacket aficionados are not buying them as there are too many well made, customizable handcrafted alternatives. The others buy Schott (a brand they have heard of) or something from a mall. G&B stuff is/was really well made but my Expedition fits like a droopy-shouldered sack.

There's something interesting about leather down here. Almost no man under 50 I have ever met owns a leather jacket. And those that do generally wear a Tony Soprano style black lamb blouson. A young women I was talking to at work recently described leather as an 'older guy thing'. The only leather styles I have ever occasionally seen on a male under 30 is a shiny, skinny A2 inspired bomber. I wonder if this holds elsewhere.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
G&B stuff is/was really well made but my Expedition fits like a droopy-shouldered sack.

G&B BROWN 2.jpg

Above is my 44T G&B Expedition. Does this jacket fit me like a "droopy-shouldered sack" or what? :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
They're fabulous jackets for the price, minus some hit or miss fit/cut issues I've had. They seemed to be big conversation pieces in ancient Lounge days if one goes back to the back threads. I would die for one of their discontinued Toko-Ri Brubaker G-1s. They had some neat goatskin colors too...blue and grey! I've complained about them before but at the end of the day, they had a pretty amazing jacket line.
G-1:
image.jpeg

Banzai

Familiar Face
To be fair to the Expedition, it's cut to fit that way on purpose. That's how Dr. Jones's jacket fit him. I always imagined it as if Dr. Jones had taken an A-2-ish jacket that was way too big, cut the knits off, rolled the edges, and modified the back. Presto; jacket that fits in length, but has droopy/big shoulders.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
To be fair to the Expedition, it's cut to fit that way on purpose. That's how Dr. Jones's jacket fit him. I always imagined it as if Dr. Jones had taken an A-2-ish jacket that was way too big, cut the knits off, rolled the edges, and modified the back. Presto; jacket that fits in length, but has droopy/big shoulders.

Yes, I've always held that line too, but many other Indy's fit better and still have the roomy look.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've had two G&B goatskin jackets for a long time - a black civil A-2 (vintage 2001) and historical M-422A (2005) - and they have held up to annual wear beautifully. Sure, they don't fit me quite as well as my made-to-measure Good Wear Dubow or Wested Raiders, but they are great jackets. Flight Suits/G&B was an important player in the mid-range segment for a long time, and it's sad that they seem to be pretty much out of the leather jacket biz now.

kojax

Practically Family
i talk to my friend at gibson barnes today they are still in business. first of the year they will be making jackets again

Dracorex

Familiar Face
It's also my understanding that they will be making leather jackets again, although not as many models. I don't have the exact details but from what I understand, they had some large orders that came in and needed the space, equipment, man power, etc for all the work. I really wanted to like G&B but I just never could get over their sizing issues. The quality of their jackets are fantastic but the fit is horrible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112