Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & Barnes Catalina Airline jacket

Bluishsmoke

New in Town
Hello everyone. Does anyone have a Gibson & Barnes Catalina Airline jacket? I saw this jacket on their website and thought I might get one. Thought I might get some opinions first before I take the plunge. Thanks.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Here you go Paddy...

catalina.jpg

p.s. I don't own one of these so I cannot offer any constructive feedback.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
G&B Catalina

Well . . .I've got a goat G&B ANJ-3 and my neighbor . .who's an Alaskan pilot . .was "issued" his G&B Catalina a few years back . . .so we compared jackets . . .

We are both happy with our jackets . .Nice thick goatskin . . .Seams expertly done . . . His has more pockets than mine . . We're both the same size and ordered our true suit size . . So I wear a MILITARY size 46 but took a 42 in the ANJ . . .

G&B lives up to their reputation . . .EXC product, cust service and fast shipping . . .

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
"26 miles across the sEA"

i recall the summer of 1969, taking a seaplane across to Catalina island, 26 miles across the chanel from san pedro in calif...26miles just like the song

the seaplanes no longer run, and the pilots didn't wear a leather jacket, however, if they had (it was summer in a 12 passenger seaplane), i'm sure the Catalina that G and B is offering would have been it.....

i've had a g and b g-1 and can say it was perfect...i mean perfect...beautifully constructed, beautiful execution, it bespoke of the amazing work g and b does...

i've looked at the Catalina jacket in their catalog, and online, and it is a superb looking piece, something you'd expect if they'd had an airport sequence in the movie "Chinatown"...it's from a period in time, and yet current

i'd say that if you like this style, you cannot go wrong getting it from them...besides, they backup their size and quality...you can return it if you need another size, or if there's a quality problem

as mentioned, g and b does run a bit big...so, if you have a 46" chest, don't get a size 48, get the 46...likewise other sizes...my experience with them is you get your size determined by the inch count of your chest, meaning if you have a 44" chest, get a size 44...a size 44 will include a 7" or 8" extra to add for the needed proper fit (a size 44 in a g and b should usually work out to a 51" chest, which is what you need)

hope that helps...the point being, you cannnnnnot go wrong with this manufacturer

I prefer a one piece back....or even a yoked back. In my view...cheaper jackets seem to use a middle seam down the back. Not saying that the G&B is a cheap jacket...but a middle seam is often found on many less expensive type jackets.
HD

HoosierDaddy said:
I prefer a one piece back....or even a yoked back. In my view...cheaper jackets seem to use a middle seam down the back. Not saying that the G&B is a cheap jacket...but a middle seam is often found on many less expensive type jackets. HD

The concern of the manufacturer is finding good looking quality pieces of leather that are large enough to be a complete "back" and those are harder to get plus more expensive. The biggest concern would be under inclement weather would the seam leak or would it fail at some point due to construction technique.

The one piece and yoke do look better but in the quality versus value ratio, a split back may be a good value for some.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
The Catalina

Is that an elastisized waistband? I know that quite a few jackets were made during the golden era with elastisized leather, but I've always thought it looked sort of like a modern cost-saving shortcut... the same with a vertical seam running down the back. If you like the look, certainly go for it... but in my opinion a set of wool cuffs and waistband would look more classic and polished. Also, the seam down the center of the back MAY be uncomfortable if you sit for a long time.

Again, just my opinion... good luck!

Mojo

New in Town
If you don't care for the seam down the back of the Catalina, G&B will make a jacket with a one-piece back for an additional $38. But since it is a special-order, the jacket cannot be returned if it doesn't fit properly.

I am considering ordering the Catalina but I don't care for the two-piece back. I called G&B and they said "No Problemo!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy