Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

girls in guy's garb

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
“I don't regret anything I've ever done, As long as I enjoyed it at the time.” - Katharine Hepburn
hepburn-pilot-1_zps147c64c0.jpg

If that shot of Katharine Hepburn is from her movie "Christopher Strong," then it makes really good sense for it to be in this thread as, if memory serves, she plays a very gender-bending character (implied lesbian or bi-sexual if memory serves) and wears some androgynous clothes throughout. It is a good pre-code movie.

“I don't regret anything I've ever done, As long as I enjoyed it at the time.” - Katharine Hepburn
hepburn-pilot-1_zps147c64c0.jpg

Contrary to Hepburn’s public image as an indifferent fashion rebel who wore slacks in public years before pant suits came into vogue, Hepburn cultivated her counter-culture image deliberately and with great precision when she became aware of its publicity value, eventually ordering custom-made slacks and shoes and, on the sly, ordering handmade French lingerie.
“I think you should pretend you don’t care,” she once remarked to Garbo, who captivated Hollywood with her mannish suits, hats, and Ferragamo flat-heeled shoes. “But it’s the most outrageous pretense. I bet it takes us longer to look as if we hadn’t made any effort than it does someone else to come in beautifully dressed.’”

Contrary to Hepburn’s public image as an indifferent fashion rebel who wore slacks in public years before pant suits came into vogue, Hepburn cultivated her counter-culture image deliberately and with great precision when she became aware of its publicity value, eventually ordering custom-made slacks and shoes and, on the sly, ordering handmade French lingerie.
“I think you should pretend you don’t care,” she once remarked to Garbo, who captivated Hollywood with her mannish suits, hats, and Ferragamo flat-heeled shoes. “But it’s the most outrageous pretense. I bet it takes us longer to look as if we hadn’t made any effort than it does someone else to come in beautifully dressed.’”

I remember reading once that Ali MacGraw said Steve McQueen put an incredible amount of thought and effort into each item of clothing he wore - style, fit, etc. - and into the overall outfit all to give the impression of it just being casually tossed together.

There is always a man (or woman) behind the curtain making the illusion of the Great and Powerful Oz possible.

AdeeC

Practically Family
IMG_0271.JPG

Well known character actress Blanche Frederici dressed as a man in the 1931 precode film THE OFFICE WIFE. This role was played straight with her eccentric writer character based on Gertrude Stein visiting her publisher played by Lewis Stone. Raised a lot of eyebrows at the time.

Was watching TCM and saw this scene ⇩ with Norma Shearer from 1932's "Smilin' Through" where she plays an upper class English girl. She wore this outfit to tea in the country - spear-point collar shirt, tie and man's sport coat (based on the fit / cut they look like men's clothes) - and even did her hair in a masculine-like style. What kicks up the intrigue is that she's on a date with a man and there is (so far, haven't finished the movie) no hint of sexual ambiguity. Maybe something will explain it later, but right now, it's as if they just through that outfit in for sparkle.

ST-03.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana