Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant 40's catalog, I take requests!

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I recently got myself a 1943 swedish autumn/winter catalog, and it is full of illustrations of clothing, household items, etc.
I thought it could be a good reference for anyone for example wondering how a 1943 wallet would look like, or what to wear while skiing. The catalog is 220 pages and has some real nice mens collars and pre-tied ties, a lot of womens underwear and cleaning wear (beutifully illustrated, of course). I will simply put up a picture of the index and translate it, and if anyone is interested I will show pictures from certain pages.

Translation will be available below for those who cannot understand the index.
A lot will be directly translated and probably not correct english. This is to show the resemblances between the languages, you will learn more from reading it and understanding.

vZ4BLUe.jpg

FIRST ROW:

Technical articles (these involve most items you have in your bathroom locker)

Smoke-utensils (everything a smoker needs)

Shaving-utensils

Optical articles

Albums, psalm-books

Misc. paper-goods

Writing materials

Office-utensils

Iron-goods, household appliances (locks, scissors, hammers, kitchen ware)

Batteries, electr. lanterns, etc.

Sport-articles, fishing equipment

Shoes, indoor shoes, boot-laces

Belts

Leather-goods

Soap-boxes, brushes, combs

Mirrors, frames

Cufflinks

Jewelry (chains mostly)

Sewing-equipment, thread, yarn

Arm-pads, sock-bands (cannot translate but these seem to be for repairing clothes. The bands are for ladies underwear I think. Some kids collars are here too.)

Bands, lace

Hand-workings (pretty pieces of cloths with various brodery)

SECOND ROW:

Gramophone-needles(pickups?), gramophones

Toys

Boardgames, playing-cards

Corsets, brazers (hope that is how you spell it!)

Mens-garters, suspenders

Pre-tied ties

Mens-collars

Handkerchiefs

Linen-goods

Curtains

Covers, blankets

Aprons, cleaning-overalls

Nightwear, pajamas

Shirts, sewed

Workwear, trousers

Skiing-trousers, skiing-jackets

Skin-shirts, skin-jackets (don't worry skin is leather, haha)

Umberellas, "hats" (not hat as in HAT, hat as in "mössa" which is for winter)

Scarves

Socks, gloves (we have different words for different gloves)

Slipovers, sweaters, jumpers

Trikeau (basically underwear, but these are all long-sleeved and legged since it is for winter. Also, there is one small gymnastics-section here)

NOTE: If you are looking for something special and don't know if I have it, just ask! There is a big register for individual items also!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great of you Broccoli.

I think a lot of us would be interested in Men's workwear, shirts/collars, ascessoires and ties.

Thanks!

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I will get theese up tomorrow, perhaps there are more requests by then. Please note that there are no sewing machines, only accesories. There is a great amount of underwear for women, some nightwear illustrations too. But for winther clothing, it must be noted that it seems that what was most common, in order to dress up while stay warm during our very cold winthers, to just use several layers of long and thick underwear and socks. So for the winter clothing there is just som ski-jackets and trousers. The catalog has no overcoats, only workcoats. There are however a lot of gloves, mittens and hats which will be posted.

I'll certainly post the workwear, I just saw one page featuring blåkläder workwear, a company that still is one of the biggest here in Sweden, although not as good looking as it used to be...
The collars in this catalog are great, they will go up for sure. The ties are too interesting, but there are so many ascessoiries that one would have to be more specific so I no exactly what to post!

vintageTink

One Too Many
I will get theese up tomorrow, perhaps there are more requests by then. Please note that there are no sewing machines, only accesories. There is a great amount of underwear for women, some nightwear illustrations too. But for winther clothing, it must be noted that it seems that what was most common, in order to dress up while stay warm during our very cold winthers, to just use several layers of long and thick underwear and socks. So for the winter clothing there is just som ski-jackets and trousers. The catalog has no overcoats, only workcoats. There are however a lot of gloves, mittens and hats which will be posted.

I'll certainly post the workwear, I just saw one page featuring blåkläder workwear, a company that still is one of the biggest here in Sweden, although not as good looking as it used to be...
The collars in this catalog are great, they will go up for sure. The ties are too interesting, but there are so many ascessoiries that one would have to be more specific so I no exactly what to post!
That's okay. The accessories will be fine!
Are the long underwear just thermals? I suppose they haven't changed much.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested in (non-underwear) women's clothing. I wonder if "Slipovers, koftor, jumpers" refers to men's sweaters only?

There are sweaters for women also (and there is one old lady). Most of the others clothes are for housework but I'll get it up too!

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Inside this boring grey catalog are beautiful illustrations and items. It is a look right back in time, someone has left a note on a paper on what to buy, which is still there. I wonder if they never bought their skiing-pants....
eupt56P.jpg

BkbYKSl.jpg

xhKFq1l.jpg

wczWh3D.jpg

8j1Y7q4.jpg

On another note, this catalog also instructs its reader to burn it when it stops being up to date...

I will start with some sewing articles, please note that I have used a camera. But I have also made sure that you can see everything, so save the pictures in order to zoom in on them if you want to read. Don't hesitate to paste a text and ask me to translate it for you. Also don't hesitate to ask if you want a better image of a specific item.

77GeaLT.jpg

I am sorry but only this page and the next one has sewing, and it is mostly boxes needles and sewing machine needles. Next page has threads but I missed that one.

WOMENS UNDERWEAR:
(brace yourselves)
3a7kMaR.jpg

C96yFBB.jpg

BsU3F0z.jpg

(continued in a bit...)
(there is some uploading to be done, please don't post yet!)

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Inside this boring grey catalog are beautiful illustrations and items. It is a look right back in time, someone has left a note on a paper on what to buy, which is still there. I wonder if they never bought their skiing-pants....
eupt56P.jpg

BkbYKSl.jpg

xhKFq1l.jpg

wczWh3D.jpg

8j1Y7q4.jpg

On another note, this catalog also instructs its reader to burn it when it stops being up to date...

I will start with some sewing articles, please note that I have used a camera. But I have also made sure that you can see everything, so save the pictures in order to zoom in on them if you want to read. Don't hesitate to paste a text and ask me to translate it for you. Also don't hesitate to ask if you want a better image of a specific item.

77GeaLT.jpg

I am sorry but only this page and the next one has sewing, and it is mostly boxes needles and sewing machine needles. Next page has threads but I missed that one.

WOMENS UNDERWEAR:
(brace yourselves)
3a7kMaR.jpg

C96yFBB.jpg

BsU3F0z.jpg

3eji6te.jpg

(continued...)

Last edited:

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
And now for more of the warmer kind of womens - and also girls - underwear.

olO3qBO.jpg

"Easy-sold special editions"
RZM5l7w.jpg

XSgjvCC.jpg

iXdszoP.jpg

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
WORKWEAR AND CLEANING:
SitCbT3.jpg

aULr6uH.jpg

V6RDkTb.jpg

UYzItaX.jpg

Bottom row is sleepwear, more sleepwear later.
aCmmRRZ.jpg

The industrial standard. Blåkläder.
9EXo8GT.jpg

For the military.
BghbHRL.jpg

t5r88uy.jpg

Some boys trousers!
(top right)

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
SLEEPWEAR:
(these are the only pictures with people in them, the rest are folded items)

UYzItaX.jpg

(bottom row)
q6a72iy.jpg

WINTER:

ib4x3ue.jpg

3gYgCxX.jpg

h2Ry1Pa.jpg

"Motor-hats"
BrzDwK4.jpg

3PMH0Xy.jpg

uVwacKS.jpg

htGIHxS.jpg

LEATHER JACKETS:
sVHgm7v.jpg

I normally don't like leather jackets but these are really handsome.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
MENS COLLARS:
(Personally love these models)

SEP0WSS.jpg

0gNyX4O.jpg

MENS SHIRTS:

rpUTu8Q.jpg

"Easy-sold boys shirts"
qwQTkrQ.jpg

"New in better mens shirts"
"With permanently treated collars"

MENS NECKWEAR:

Fq2XMgn.jpg

NRn4Sx4.jpg

32pfjUe.jpg

gyLpb7Y.jpg

7rVJFEE.jpg

GARTERS AND SUSPENDERS:
(there are one more page of suspenders which I did not photograph.)
1HxiDTL.jpg

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
SWEATERS:

mpcpLM9.jpg

gPLhe2X.jpg

b0aNjDT.jpg

gCoOMgL.jpg

QhPHf7W.jpg

2vACROQ.jpg

BpCCFPl.jpg

xhHd5hA.jpg

2lti9a3.jpg

I hope you all enjoy these beautiful illustrations as much as I do, I hope they are to use.
I can imagine the ladies underwear being quite useful, as well as the skiing clothes.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for the great pictures. Funny how many pre-tired ties they still offered. The "militärväst" fake shirt-top too.

I especially love the jacket and the trousers. They have waistbands like on the rad american 1930s college trousers!

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the great pictures. Funny how many pre-tired ties they still offered. The "militärväst" fake shirt-top too.

I especially love the jacket and the trousers. They have waistbands like on the rad american 1930s college trousers!

Yes those pants are great I must agree. They have a certain work feeling to me, but the waistbands remind me of those on older underpants (which are for practical use I guess).

The pre-tied ties surprised me a bit, but they are understandable since many shirts had detachable collars. I hate trying to tie with an ill-fitting collar, it's impossible. Also this is not really a clothing catalog so much. More of a utility-ware-stock catalog it seems. Maybe you could see that most items are sold by the dozen.

Since you are German I must ask ob Sie wissen was ein "Schager" ist? The schlager is noted by the ties but I have not heard it in Swedish before, is it German perhaps?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are different meanings and from the context I guess it is meant as a "bestseller". We have the word "Kassenschlager" which means just this.

Another meaning would be "Schlager" for a popular music genre comparable to "chanson" and the stuff they play at the Eurovision song contest. (Not my cup of tea, really). I guess it comes from the same source since the songs are written to sell well and be popular... (and not to be deep and artsy fartsy.)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
As Floey said - "bestseller" or just something very popular in any given context.
"Schlager" in German means "hit" (from "schlagen" - "to hit").
In this context the ties are "höstens schlager" - German "Herbstschlager" - English "autumn (selling) hit".

Regarding the Scans - many thanks! Great stuff. The leather jackets, and also the wool jacket are fantastic. I love the wide-legged trousers and the "militärväst" fake shirt-top is a great inspiration for making use of ragged, worn shirts.

Last edited:

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I understand both German meanings of the word Schlag, and neither do I like the musical genre. But it does not fit in that good in this meaning I think. But they must mean that the ties are Kassenschläger, although it would have been easier if they said so in Swedish...

I am glad the catalog is coming to use! The jackets have such good waists I think. I'd love to see you make a "Militärenveste" for yourself!

EDIT: The jackets are not wool. They are made out of "konstsilkespoplin" which I only can translate as faux silk poplin. The double breasted jackets are made out of an impregnated plain weave cotton yarn called smärting, today used in sails.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner