Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Panama Hat worthy of FDR

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I hope you're both wrong! ;)

Mybestpanama006.jpg

I think it has been so long since any old men wore hats like this, it is no longer an issue.

Pair it with a tank top T, and suspenders and a pencil moustache, go down to Miami, and see how you do. You might have to be Cuban to pull it off.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone. You guys are all 'Aces'!!

Late last night I did successfully tweak (just a little bit) the shape of the brim from the front. I was more nervous working with this than I've ever been with a hat. I left the back of the brim alone. I really like the overall look now - more sophisticated, I think.

Sorry, but I got so darn busy today I couldn't do the final photos. Hopefully tomorrow. Not trying to build suspense this time, just capitalizing on some opportunities that landed in my lap.

Written words do not begin to convey how much more special this is due to the interest and appreciation of the people on this forum. :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
lol lol lol lol

That was too much fun. Nicki made me do it!!!

Here are the only shots I got before I had to rush off earlier today. Tomorrow I'll do more of a photo documentation of the beautiful work done by Graham at Optimo.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

That hat is way too classy for the likes of you. Give it to me and with all that spare brim I'm sure Graham could do it right for me...don't worry I'll pay postage....lol...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
duggap said:
Gene, did you ever get a weave count on that hat. I like that larger brim for a Panama. That's the way they are supposed to look.:)

It is just around 2,500 wpi.

I got 2,444 specifically in one section (confirmed by Hungary Tom) but there can be variance throughout the hat.

Earlier in this thread there are the 1 inch square photo enlargements for you to see.

-----------

I'm OK with the brim too but I needed to shape it just a touch after getting it out of the box.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I didn't do anything to the pronounced curl-up in the back and on sides.

I sent a thank you note to Graham and he replied with this:

"Thanks, Gene
I also put a very deep flange on it, so it shouldn't look as wide on you. Also, many of the optimo styles had brims rolled like that a century ago.
Best
Graham"

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, well, that looks... uh,...

santos_dumont.jpg

Let's just say that's not what I'm going for.

As far as what Graham wrote, I too agree. That's why I didn't change anything about the deep flange.

But, y'know, as I look back at the photos, both ways suit me fine and it's the easiest of things to put the brim back when I want to go that style.

G

gwold

Quite a hat, Gene. You just might make me go for an Optimo, myself.

FWIW, I prefer your re-work of the brim, over the original.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The crown proportions and the brim roll really work well with the shape of your face/head as well as giving it a genuine look of the period. It doesn't look "goofy" at all as Optimos often do. Well worth the wait. I missed the hat 3 times while visiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk