Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Panama Hat worthy of FDR

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Gene. as much as I liked Graham's block, I do believe that your reworking of the front brim looks better on you. Well done.

I agree, the way you changed the front of the brim was a great improvement for my taste. TLH

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, gents. I have some Panama hats that satisfy my need for more casually styled brims and I like them for that, but this one just deserved to look a little 'richer'. Kind of a more interesting, proud line to it now.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Thanks for bumping this... All of this happened before I joined.

Gene, words cannot describe that! Looks great on you, by the way. I have to see that hat in person someday.

Cheers,

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A good time for me to clarify, for anyone who may have misunderstood my thread title. The vintage Panama hat I recently procured is not the same hat as the one owned by FDR and auctioned off. My hat was, however, woven by the same artist, C. A. Arcentales. That's the only connection, but an important one. Puts my hat in the same league as that worn by FDR. I bought mine in raw, unblocked condition, from a private seller on Ebay U.K.

Was it really expensive?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Was it really expensive?
IIRC, Gene's winning bid was under $150. I too was watching the auction but backed off when Graham told me that working with vintage bodies can be dicey and that one should prepare for the worst. Still kicking myself...:(

RBH

Bartender
Talking with Gene brought back memories, here is a picture from a Monteagle Fedora Lounge Get Together from 2010.

4483353116_8ec84c7860_b.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for bumping a great thread, Rusty. It's from before "my time", and I never read it till now. Fantastic find - and wonderful pic from the get together :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points