Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gladhatter Beaver courtesy of Rick 5150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt, I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t seen you ware a Homburg in like five years. I know I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t see you every day, but I know that your Homburgs really don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get out and play much.

Art, thanks for your kind reply. By the way, still have that double breasted houndstooth? If so, maybe we can work something out. If not, then I know that it went to a good home.

Cheers.

What do you all think of that 1931 Publicity photo of Gary Cooper from City Streets?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I wore one to a lounge meet Late last year at the Bogie restaurant! They kept saying I looked like the godfather.

Wore a brown one to work last week, and will be breaking out the bowler to go with my grey suit next time I go to a nice swing club.

It's hot out and homburgs aren't usually light weight.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Art, I thought that was pretty much what we all agreed when all that first came up, and the example I used regarding hotrods gave the same bottomline as yours did, but if folks decide to give your explaination an 'amen', it's fine with me. At least we're all still on the same page more or less. ;) What I find ironic is that a really nice classic Homburg has been up for sale by 'bink' at Indygear and here for quite some time, and not a soul has stepped up to the plate to save it, even after the price was reduced. How come? Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Michaelson:

Hot rods...

Ok, I really don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t mean to kick a dead horse but, what I have to say is with the most respect to all here.

I really think comparing a car to a hat isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t the best example. A car can be restored back to original even if it had been hot-rodded at one point of it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s life. The car is metal, and metal can be welded. So, if you have a 1935 ford that has been dropped, chopped, channeled and had a beefy Chevy small block put in and all the original parts taken off, one still could put the extra work into adding that 3 to 4 inches back into the roof, putting back the original parts one by one and lifting it back up with original parts. It has been done before. With felt, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not that way at all. Once felt is cut, its cut and will never be the same. Be that as it may, I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to sound like a broken record, but what ever you boys decide to do with your hats isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t any of my business. It is swell that you want to make each hat your own style. Vintage felt is superior and that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s why most want a vintage hat. Not because it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s from the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, but because it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s made out of better materials. I understand that completely.

So, I now lay this beast to rest.

Thank you for your time;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Understood, and yep, best to drop it. I have old 40's and 50's hunks of Detroit iron sitting all over my property in various degrees of progress toward either restoration or hotrodding, so you'll have to excuse me if I disagree with you, as I can counterpoint with as many points as you've made with the felt argument, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. Like I said, at least we're all on the same page...sort of. Regards. Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok boys, I had no intentions to upset any one person here!!! Well, I guess if I'm going to offend you guys by stating a fact then, I'll just stay out of these hot topics all together!

My deepest apologies.

Root.

Fedora

Vendor
On the hot rod analogy. If if you unchopped, de-rodded the car, it would not be original. That was lost when you hot rodded it. You would have to use new sheet metal, etc. Very little of the car would be original. Using this same analogy, I could have the ribbon replaced on the homburg, to the brim and have basically the same thing you are talking about with the car. In the end, it is just your preference. Other's preferences may not jive with yours, but it would be a mightly colorless world if we were all the same. ;) Fedora

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fedora, the last part was so true! I feel the same in that aspect. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s swell that we all have different ideas and tastes. I wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t trying to imply that one could turn a hot rod back to a 100% original. I meat that it can go back to look as it once did. The truth is that most cars that are in stock condition are not original at all. They have just been restored to original condition. I collect vintage radios and some are not in good condition when I get them. I have one that I had to strip all the way down to bare wood. I refinished it my self and it came out very nice. My other radio buddies thought that it was a very nice piece! But, I knew that soon as I started to strip the original finish off, that it wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t going to be 100% original any more. But, now it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s worth more then it was before I started.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m into restoring vintage items when they need restoring. Others prefer to change the appearance to something they think is cool. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s cool with me.

I have said some strong things in here and I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want any one to feel that I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m full of hate towards a different idea.

Ok, every thing copasetic? :D

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OK

Originally posted by Wild Root
..... I collect vintage radios and some are not in good condition when I get them. I have one that I had to strip all the way down to bare wood. I refinished it my self and it came out very nice....

So what is the difference between an vintage car, your radio, an airplane, or a hat? I had a vintage Stearman biplane that required all new wood (wings rebuilt). The airplane was unairworthy and nothing more than a pile of parts without the restoration. My good friend has a vintage car restoration business. Why do some of his customers pay over a million to have a 1932 Mazaratti 12 cylinder redone? Because they make it better than it was before, yet it still looks the same.

Your radio before restoration probably did not look nice, nor sound good.

So HATS. The felt is the important part. You can work it over and over again. Change the block, the ribbon, the sweat, the liner. I have had this done to some of my vintage. You can't tell, when people like Art or Fedora do the work. And who cares if someone prefers the "Indy" look. I like it, although not being tall, that look doesn't work for me.

Folks, you have to be careful about extremely strong positions when you type them. Remember, the reader over the other side has the ability to use whatever tone he or she wants, and that may not have been the tone you intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou