Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamour? Or Down To Earth Reality

GOK

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Plain? You? Put you down in Greenwich Village, 1949, with that look and you'd be crashing Sky Top taxis into lamp posts from Washington Square to 7th Avenue.

Smooth talker! :p

And I agree with the rest of what you said. A confident person that knows her/his own style and goes with it, unconcerned whether it is considered fashionable, is a rare & attractive person and should be treasured. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
For me, I think it depends on the event. If it's like the Queen Mary, I'm assuming I would have had money to afford the travel, so I like to go as glamourous as I can. But for just hanging out in vintage wear I'll be more than likely to wear slacks and a button up blouse. Pants are my best friends :D I really love seperates, too- so a suit or a blouse and skirt do me fine for semi-dressy, and I love the look of tailored dresses when I wear them. So i guess I'm really asking "who do I want to be today?" when I go to an event. It must be the costumer in me...

Most of my day to day is uber casual, though- with jeans and tee's or vintage slacks and blouses. Skirts are too much of a hastle for me usually.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
I really enjoy dressing up with the glamour. But for me, it's all about appropriateness. If I have an event where Hollywood style is appropriate, I'm going to be sad since I don't have the outfit for it. lol But most of the time I'm trying for the classy working girl look.

My biggest influence is my own reenacting experience, in the American Civil War. Event-appropriateness is a huge concern. I have an event in the backwoods of northern Louisiana in March. Working class is the only impression for that environment, and I'm going to be careful not to be too dressed up. For example, the green wool I posted in the "Pricey Hobbies" thread won't be appropriate. And it's not an elaborate dress by any means.

This is pretty much the boat I'm in. My biggest influence is WWII reenacting. I love the glamour look, and it is great for hangar dances and some events, but most of the events I go to are field events, or set in occupied French villages - where the glamorous Hollywood look just wouldn't be appropriate. (Of course that doesn't stop some folks from doing it anyway!)

Everyday, I mostly dress modern with vintage mixed in. Some days I go all vintage and some days I am as far from vintage as possible. I even own flip flops and yoga pants. Hate me. lol I'm still toying with the idea of "all vintage all the time" but haven't gone anywhere with it yet. I would say that when I do dress vintage, I go more for the average woman look, rather than the glamour queen, because I feel it is just more accurate for what everyday life would have been. But, it is really situational for me.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
You know--even if I just put on a vintage cotton housedress, it changes the way I walk and feel. It's something about being in a dress that makes me care a bit more about what I'm wearing and my bearin than just putting on pants of any sort--even vintage ones.

Perhaps because I can feel a real sense of physical comfort that transcends what I wear and shows even in the way I carry my body--as opposed to how I carry myself in a dress.

For example, even though it is completely wrong--in the comfort of my own home I would curl my legs and sit indian style on my couch while watching TV--something that is so easy and comfy to do in my velour sweatpants. Whereas I would never do that in a dress of any kind.

Does that make sense?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
With being at home with the kids all day, I find it a bit impracticle to go all out glam, so I tend to mostly be nicely dressed with a touch of glam, for instance, I like to wear my pearl earings or do my hair up all nice, just to add that 'touch'.
When I do get the chance however, I absolutely love going all out...it's the whole process that I find absolutely fun.
And yes, I too find that when I have my nails all done and painted, I tend to 'talk' more with them!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Here's my problem

I live in Texas in a very laid back town. We go to the theater in dressy jeans and boots. Yes, I'm not kidding. So I like to wear vintage inspired western clothes and/or mix it up. The difference is this. Always with lip gloss, always with hair "fixed" for the day, and always heels (well almost always, they don't work when working out). I like to wear kooky heels. Odd colors or designs. This usually goes with average slacks or jeans and a sweater or button up top. Plus I show a little cleavage. This is as glam as I get. I do go full out but that is for dates with hubby. He will tell you I'm glam cuz I don't run around in flip flops and I only sleep in cutie/sexy nighties, and am very girly. Glam is a state of mind if you ask me. And in my mind I am fabulously glam...... even in jeans.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Classy is glamorous to me, whether you are wearing a simple day dress or you are decked out for the big event. It's how you wear it ~ and ~ when you wear it with a comfortable confidence it just comes natural don't you think?

I often think glamour depends on the gal also. Some girls can polish up so authentic it's dazzling, and then there are those that wear glamour so subtle yet it is incredibly striking at the same time (Kate Hepburn for instance).

There are many times the clothes have worn the person and not the other way around. I feel glamorous when I have done my hair & put on my red lipstick. Doesn't matter what I wear ~ day or night!

However, in another week I am going out for my first big girls night out in over three years (was pregnant & had my daughter) I am so thrilled to be going out and seeing live bands. I plan on getting glammed up on a Paramount level!

GOK

One Too Many
Welcome to the forum, Princess!

princessofcandl said:
<snip> I like to wear kooky heels. Odd colors or designs.

Oohh are you a fan of Irregular Choice, Schuh, Bronx, Fly, Lulu Guiness, DHavz? Absolutely wonderful footwear. :D

and I only sleep in cutie/sexy nighties,

I don't even own any nighties (or PJs)!! ;)

And in my mind I am fabulously glam...... even in jeans.

And that, my dear, is key. If you feel glam, then that is what is important.

And let's not forget that one person's idea of glam isn't necessarily the same as another's. It's not always about looking perfect, dressing in swanky gowns or wearing high heels. A chum of mine was feeling really down on herself and said she felt like a dowdy skivvy. So I customised some rubber gloves with fake fur and plastic jewels and gave them to her, along with a plastic tiara. I knew it would make her grin and she said she felt so glam when doing the chores! Job done! :D

MysteryGal said:
With being at home with the kids all day, I find it a bit impracticle to go all out glam,

Oh yes, I remember those days. Sometimes it really was too much of an effort and I admit that when I was married, frankly, there wasn't much point in getting glammed up. :(

When I do get the chance however, I absolutely love going all out...it's the whole process that I find absolutely fun.

Definitely. Put on your favourite CDs (I usually get ready to Eartha Kitt!) and lavish a couple of hours' attention on yourself. What bliss! :D

And yes, I too find that when I have my nails all done and painted, I tend to 'talk' more with them!

Ditto! And thanks to the advice here (and some excellent polish I got for Christmas), I have actually found that I can in fact, keep polish on my nails. It's wonderful!

Miss Dottie said:
You know--even if I just put on a vintage cotton housedress, it changes the way I walk and feel. It's something about being in a dress that makes me care a bit more about what I'm wearing and my bearin than just putting on pants of any sort--even vintage ones.

Yes! Gosh, we are odd creatures at times eh? lol I wonder if men feel the same when they put on a swanky suit?

For example, even though it is completely wrong--in the comfort of my own home I would curl my legs and sit indian style on my couch while watching TV--

Why is that wrong? Surely in the privacy of one's own home, one should be able to relax and be as comfortable as possible? I'm a real flop - I start with god intentions but gradually I'll sink lower and lower until I'm laying about all over the place! lol

Jazzzbaby said:
Classy is glamorous to me, whether you are wearing a simple day dress or you are decked out for the big event. It's how you wear it ~ and ~ when you wear it with a comfortable confidence it just comes natural don't you think?

I do indeed. Essentially, I feel that glamour comes from within and the rest is merely an enhancement. It's like using seasoning to bring out the flavour of a dish.

"No Darling, this isn't a new frock...it's seasoning!"

Heheh!

I often think glamour depends on the gal also. Some girls can polish up so authentic it's dazzling,

**Looks enviously in JBD's direction!**

and then there are those that wear glamour so subtle yet it is incredibly striking at the same time (Kate Hepburn for instance).

Goodness, yes. Is there anyone that could deny that even in pants, Katie was glam? And Joan Crawford too. Even looking her most stern, she was 100% glam. I don't know if it's because I am so into vintage or whether it is actually a true fact but movie stars and models today do seem to lack that essential je ne sais quois. Yes they look attractive and yes they dress well (sometimes!) but are they really truly glamorous? Not in my book. Maybe it's because in times past there was a huge divide between movie stars and the lesser beings (my tongue is firmly in my cheek there!), whereas today, anyone can look like a Hollywood star. [huh]

There are many times the clothes have worn the person and not the other way around.

Agreed. This is why I am insistent upon wearing my clothes my way. I absolutely refuse to be dictated to by someone else's idea of what constitutes authentic or correct. I don't care if my shoes are a 2007 representation of a 1940s style and my dress is a 1950s copy. If I think they look good together (and suit me) then I'll wear them. I won't wear something just because it 'should' go with an outfit - I'll wear it because it fits in with me. Does that make any sense at all?

I feel glamorous when I have done my hair & put on my red lipstick. Doesn't matter what I wear ~ day or night!

Red lippy is the epitome of glamour IMO! Couple it with great hair and wow - watch out world, here I come!!!! lol

However, in another week I am going out for my first big girls night out in over three years (was pregnant & had my daughter) I am so thrilled to be going out and seeing live bands. I plan on getting glammed up on a Paramount level!

How wonderful for you! It is such a great feeling to be out and be yourself and not someone's mother. You absolutely have to post photos!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Oh I love to get totally dolled up! Nethertheless I don´t have to be glamourous all the time. I feel glamourous enough in a pair of slacks and a nice sweater so that´s how you´d see me walking around at weekends and the more glamourous stuff I keep for special ocassions and shootings. People back in the golden era didn´t walk around in their best evening-gown all day either and I just need practical clothes when I go to buy food or do my laundry ;) And allways remember that still if we walk around in our vintage "down to earth" styling we are still more glamourous than the strange fashion-victims around us ;-)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Anytime I wear a skirt and heels, I feel a little dressed up, even in the simplest cotton skirt. I always like to wear lipstick. Is that glamour? Not by vintage standards, no way.

Judging by the reactions around me? Its plenty, and more would often start to look bizarre.

But I do have a vintage mink short jacket and I love it. I can definitely feel the draw towards glam. But its a less accessible style and its hard to make look appropriate - I guess I'm not going to the right parties.

-Viola

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Anything not a tracksuit is considered glamourous by todays standards! Even if I wore heels and jeans (which I never would) during the day people would ask why I was all dressed up[huh]

I'd love to dress up all the time - which for me could be as simple as a 50s housedress - but I'm afraid the million 'why-are-you-wearing-that' would become too much of an annoyance :eusa_booh

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
JazzBaby said:
Anything not a tracksuit is considered glamourous by todays standards! Even if I wore heels and jeans (which I never would) during the day people would ask why I was all dressed up[huh]

I'd love to dress up all the time - which for me could be as simple as a 50s housedress - but I'm afraid the million 'why-are-you-wearing-that' would become too much of an annoyance :eusa_booh

I"ve come to think of it as more amusing these days (the, 'why are you all dressed up?), sad that I get these comments even when I don't consider myself dressed up just ,'nice'. Of course everyone has their own style and that's all good, but, there is nothing lovlier in my book than a well dressed lady, and well, nothing more handsome than a man who's 'putting on the ritz' as well.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
JazzBaby said:

It gets slightly annoying, but the amount of compliments far outweighs it for me. That and the simple pleasure of feeling comfortable in my own clothes. (I honestly feel horribly self conscious in jeans and a tshirt/jumper)

Naama

Practically Family
I just try to look more like an "everyday person" from the 20`s/30's and less like a movie star. But when I go out I try to re-create the hollywood glamour look as good as possible. But still, I look somehow glamourus compared to other people, with my hair done, make up and always nice dressed, with skirts and stuff, don't you think?

Naama

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
GOK ~ I enjoyed reading all your replies! They were fun indeed!
I shall try to get a photo or two in from my big night out.

All the best ~ xoxo

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Naama said:
I just try to look more like an "everyday person" from the 20`s/30's and less like a movie star. But when I go out I try to re-create the hollywood glamour look as good as possible. But still, I look somehow glamourus compared to other people, with my hair done, make up and always nice dressed, with skirts and stuff, don't you think?

Naama

I think this is sensible. Casual vintage for everyday wear (and re-inactments depending on the occassion) and Hollywood glamour vintage for formal events/going out etc. The fact that the casual look is still glamourous compared to modern casual is just the icing on the cake really. I mean, isn't one of the reasons we love vintage for it's glamour?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
GOK said:
Interesting question Folly.

As it is, I like to be well dressed and well made up. I don't swan around in tiaras and silk pegnoirs but I do want to look good.

GOK, I just bought a silk satin pegnoir, late 30's and I have not taken it off all evening!!!! I would highly recommend it for swanning especially to a bit of Dinah Shore !!!!lol lol lol lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
All of the vintage clothes I wear/make are for everyday wear. I rarely have any 'glam' items. A long ball gown dont work too well at work lol.

LD

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
GOK, I just bought a silk satin pegnoir, late 30's and I have not taken it off all evening!!!! I would highly recommend it for swanning especially to a bit of Dinah Shore !!!!lol lol lol lol

I second that. Especially with pink marabou heeled slippers and a "frosty" beverage!

btw... I prefer a bit of Michael Buble. Mixing up my vintage and modern

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff