Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses and Pendant

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I had waited since December to get this (the owners spent winter in Florida). Picked it up on Saturday.

I thought this was a pin, but it's a pendant apparently - I paid only a bit over $23 for it (it must have had a small discount as it was marked for $24). The reasons why I was so determined to pick this item up, is not only the history behind it, but if you look either on eBay or various German antique sellers - they usually have this priced at, at least EUR 100 +.

002-1.jpg

History/Background:

The Wiki page on this is in German - but:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutscher_Flottenverein

From collected sources:

The association was an interest group formed on April 30th 1898 on the initiative of Admiral Alfred Von Tirpitz through the Imperial Naval Office (Reichsmarineampt) which he headed (1897-1916) with intention of supporting the Kaiserliche Marine. Specifically it was intended to develop proper pressure on the German parliament (Reichstag) to approve the fleet acts of 1898 and 1900 and the attendant expenses. The unification of Germany under Prussian leadership in 1871 was the defining point for the desire of German Nationalists to have a great world class navy. The newly created emperor, Wilhelm I as King of Prussia, was Head of State of the strongest State (Prussia) forming the new Empire. His Prussian Navy and what became the Navy of the North German Confederation in 1817 and now it became the German Imperial Navy. The Flottenverein was one of the largest government sponsored Imperial organizations in German history up to the ‘30’s. The members financially supported the efforts in behalf of that dream of a Navy for the Fatherland greater than Britain’s super fleet.

(From The Great Naval Game)

It was instrumental in acting as a catalyst for 'self-mobilization', followed a dynamic of its own, and developed into populist pressure groups - a 'radical right' that increasingly acted against government intentions.

The popularization of the navy was not so much of a product of government manipulation, but rather an expression of the mobilization 'from below' via leagues (the British counterparts to the German) and Vereine.

Its role was two fold - promoters and participants. "They boosted the publicity for the naval theater by organizing trips to fleet reviews and ship launches. During fleet reviews, the leagues sold guides and programmes, which combined practical information with commentary in support of increases in naval expenditure."

"As Admiral von Koester, the Flottenverein's president, wrote to Tirpitz, launches of warships offered 'very good possibilities for the fostering and illustrating' of naval matters for the members of the league and the general public."

Yet - these leagues shouldn't be overestimated as their influence was limited - "out of the large number of pleasure steamers that attended the Kaiser's 1912 fleet review off Heligoland, only one had been chartered by the Flottenverein. It was, in a twist of irony, called Vorwarts."

"The subordinate role of the 'radical right' for the celebration of the navy becomes even more obvious when compared to the rich culture of civic and commerical pride that operated at the local level. The late nineteenth century saw the rise of local government, urban culture and commercial and industrial success both in Britain and Germany." This sort of dynamic civil society developed a distinct rhetoric and civic pride, "centering on liberal and voluntarist ideas." Places like Glasgow, Newcastle and Portsmouth - as well as Hamburg, Bremen and Kiel underwent a rapid industrial and commercial expansion. They were busy expressing this role mainly via public display and ritual. Because the pride of those places, as well as the prosperity, was dependent on shipbuilding, shipping, and trade - it wasn't surprising that they turned to naval celebrations for a way of self representation.

The key role of the local factor was well illustrated in the 1895 inauguration of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal. "The Hamburg Senate decided early on that this should be a celebration of Hamburg as much as an imperial and naval pageant." This senate invited nearly 5,000 guests to a dinner on 19 June, the evening before the inauguration. The Grosser Saal was restored for the occasion, at a great cost. While in this dining hall, guests could marvel at all the imagery showing Hamburg's central role in Germany's historic mission to conquer the sea.

(The Grand Scuttle)
The Navy League set up in 1898, which was supported financially mainly by Krupp steel and armament, drew nearly a quarter million members in three years.

_________

This nice set of drinking glasses I found at a thrift shop, in the same area, for $3.18:

004-1.jpg

DStuttgen

New in Town
A nice set of gold rimmed stemware

I picked these up at a thrift shop in Green Bay for under $5.00
(finally figured out this photo bit)

goldrimmed.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot