Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glenn Miller leather flight jacket

Blackjack

One Too Many
Some time ago I saw a guy with what looked like an A2 leather on that had Glenn Miller AAF painted on the back like a "tour" jacket. Anyone ever see one of these or know who was producing them?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Glenn Miller jacket

Probably an Avirex 'Commerative Glenn Miller Jacket item #27359 from the early 90s Cockpit catalogue, from which I quote, "...'vintage' lambskin leather jacket...full nylon lining is printed with a map of WW2 Europe. Double entry pockets...2 inside chest pockets...comfortable fuller fashion fit...". Mmmm.

Patrick

New in Town
Blackjack said:
I'm guessing thats not a good thing?
I bought an a-2 and a b-3 from avirex back in the late 80s and early 90s, before I knew better. I was seduced by their promotional mail order catalogs that showed a lot of eye candy. Both jackets had side warmer pockets, and that about says it all. Mall quality you could say, but functional. I did step into a mall store one day back then called "Benjamins", and they had them there on the rack. Some had artwork done to them. Upon close inspection, you could tell that the artwork was silkscreened. A lot of their art work, with few exceptions was pure fiction, a product of someone's imagination, IMHO. They were OK back then. I was satisfied with what I had, but things have changed a lot since then, and I'm a lot more educated and descerning now.

I must confess that I really don't have a problem with fictional art work, just as long as it's kept within the guidelines of that era. I'm thinking about doing some to mine one of these days. But it will look period, and one of a kind.

The Glen Miller commemrative did look cool though.

P.

shamus

Suspended
I too was drawn to their advertising. This of course was before I knew anything about the A2. Luckily I read and researched before I bought one. Now I know.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
My first A2 was a 70's Avirex and, I have to say, they made a very accurate cut back then because the originals were only 30 years old!

Oh well.

Also,

Avirex made special jackets specifically for the Japanese market that were not available in their American catalogues that are very accurate. I purchased one on ebay a few years ago (Bogie1943 owns that jacket now) and I was very impressed, but that was in the time when the Japanese collectors were paying upwards of $3,000 for a size 36 patchless, paintless ripped up A2.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Great A-2 Site/Page

I have found the following to be a great starting place on A-2s:

Acme Depot's A-2 Page

Anyone else?

As for my own personal A-2, while I would dearly love to own an Eastman or Aero jacket, I am leaning at the moment to a Flight Suits historical A-2, mostly because I am so long in the torso and not exactly "ship-shape." Anyone have one of those?

Flight Suits Historical A-2 (Horsehide)

Jake

One of the Regulars
Flightsuits horsehide A2

I bought a FS historic horsehide A2 last January. I'm happy with the fit and the authentic style, however it already has a worn out section in the lining. Also the under grain is darker than the finish so when it gets scuffed it leaves a darker mark than the finish. I like to see a jacket get lighter as it wears not darker.....Jake

shamus

Suspended
I have had a few Aero's. My current is the Anniversary Horse. I had Ken give me almost 2 inches more in the sleeves and it fits great. I'm sure he can lengthen the torso for you too...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Avirex

My son (age 17) now wears my old 1978 Avirex horsehide A-2. At that time Aero, Eastman, Real McCoy's etc. either did not exist or were not making repro A-2s. You know something? That little horsehide A-2, with a WW2 square Talon as standard, is one helluva jacket. There are some 'faults' in the detail (like the snaps are wrong) but overall it captures the 'feel' of a WW2 made A-2 much better than some dead-nuts up-market repros. Now it looks like it's been through two world wars! It's saved my kid's skin in numerous biking and skating accidents, and he reports that the young ladies find its charisma attractive.

What went wrong at Avirex?

Alan

shamus

Suspended
Alan Eardley said:
What went wrong at Avirex?

They went down in the early to mid 90s. They started selling to rappers and hip-hop. They forgot what got them to where they are and now it's a joke.

Other companies like Aero, Eastman continue to what got them there. Although Eastman's sold out a little and I've heard it shows

airfrogusmc

Suspended
I think RMNZ and Aero are my favorites along with FS. I had one of their (FS/G&B) mahogany A-2s and it was pretty nice. Real McCoys are my favorites. I have a real nice seal Dubow and one of their Duo tone Roughwear B-3s. I've owned a couple of Eastmans and I actually like FS/G&B better. Both of the eastmans I had the knits were gone within 6 months and the 422a I had the linning was shot too. Aero makes a great A-2 also.

Bobbo

New in Town
also want a Glenn Miller A2

I am a professional trombonist and music professor. Have toured with some well know "Big Bands". Man would I love to purchase a Glenn Miller jacket. I hear Avirex is again manufacturing them, but perhaps the quality could be improved. Any advice? Bobbo

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Jacket

Bobbo,
Do yourself a big favor, if you want to look first class, buy an Eastman or an Aero Leather A-2 and have whatever you want painted on the back.
You and your jacket will be the better for it. And there are many Jacket artists available at a reasonable price. PM me for more details.

SJ

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Yeah I would say drop the $$$ and get a good repro. I would agree with Aero but would also recommend RMNZ or maybe a 31 goat from FS/G&B. I haven't had very good luck with Eastman. I don't care for their knits or horsehide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats