Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves & belts: any recommendations?

Edward

Bartender
While I am probably not as fussy about gloves, most of my leather gloves are from Leatherglovesonline and have served me well:

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/#section=start

I'm loathe to spend too much on gloves myself, as they're so much more easily mislaid than belts or jackets!

I think they went up over the weekend with the Horween wallets. They're nice but a different proposition from Equus, which are very stiff and take a lot of working in - I have a burgundy one that's still fairly rigid four months after getting it!
I understand that they both shrink and expand to fit, depending on one's circumstances... :D

:lol: I'd missed the wallets too - must have a look. I'm all walleted up currently, but never hurts to be aware, at least, of what's available.

As someone who has made many, many belts, I can tell you that for what labor goes into them, those Aero belts are a tad pricey. For $86 U.S., I'd expect at least an inner lining. This is one of their products that is going to make a profit, as there's not much sewing or finish time put in on these, compared to the time-consuming jacket process. When I was making belts (usually hand-tooled or stamped, always hand-sewn), I would have felt bad charging any more than $35 for a similar belt, buckle included. Not to knock Aero, I'm sure the leather used is top notch, but this is a simple to make item, with no frills. There are cheaper, very similar quality options available, unless what you want is the Aero tag. Frank.

I'd suspect that the retail price has a lot to do with perceived market value, too, given they're likely looking to compete with the likes of Equus.

Might see what these are like, it's a shame this style is made in China but does say US deerskin is used.

Mine are dress gloves types; I assumed they were made in England, but could be China. Quite honestly, I don't care if they were made on Mars, all things being equal; it's the final product that matters. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
:lol: I'd missed the wallets too - must have a look. I'm all walleted up currently, but never hurts to be aware, at least, of what's available.

Same here, though I was tempted by the cordovan that carried the original 'Horween' stamp on the inside of one of the pockets.

I'd suspect that the retail price has a lot to do with perceived market value, too, given they're likely looking to compete with the likes of Equus.

My thoughts exactly. Gustin's are more expensive, Equus more so, and there are other examples on this thread that are eye-wateringly expensive. Belts just seem to carry a premium. [huh]

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
When it comes to belts, I like to go to my local post office uniform supply retailer. I'm a minimalist. I just want a plain black belt with a plain chrome buckle. No fashion in my belt. And they're usually inexpensive, too.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
e7cfa669dfdcbaa444cbe7133c4c6042.jpg

English all-brass Chatham buckle/bridle leather belt, 2.00-inch wide (Havana brown)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
That is a nice looking belt. I have to second the recommendations for terry dear belts. http://celticleather.co.uk

He uses oak bark tanned leather and that stuff is amazing....supple with good grainage from the get go. He ia super nice as well!

wild_balls

Practically Family
I have a oak bark tanned leather belt from Terry Dear natural colour that developes a beautiful patina!
Guess it will last a lifetime! Smells nice too!

Cheers Joakim

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Yeah i have three quercus 5mm belts.....one in havana brown and two in natural.....they definitely smell unique and mine have started to turn a light tannish color.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
His craftmanship is excellent and his prices are unparalled for what you get. I think he is in semi-retirement though, so if you want more you may need to hurry.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
I have one of his belts and he's making me a natural chromexcel one right now. Great belts and a super nice guy.
Scott from dontmournorganize out of utah usa makes stitched doublehorsehide belts also and those things are like 5mm thick and stiff from the get go but those things are amazing too. He is a nice guy too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW