Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goat A-2

drummer4hire

New in Town
hello, gents. i've been searching, and cannot find anything on how to break my goatskin a-2. i had thought that it was horsehide, due to it's characteristic descriptions, but pictures reveal it to be goat. i picked up this up new at a surplus store going on 5 years ago because it was only $99 and my size, and have worn it in the rain, and worn it to bed almost two weeks in a row, and haven't made a dent in it. it is slightly softer and more pliable, but not by much. it is a little baggy, but that doesn't bother me too much(though if i can shrink it, i'd like to know how). have any of you had experience with this?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The whole point of leather is that it is meant to be hard wearing.

Try the washing machine with warm water and a little soap. Dry slowly - 2-3 days in shade. I've done this with many jackets. It has never hurt any of them but they usually look a little more broken in.

Edward

Bartender
In my experience, goat just stays 'new looking' for longer, and doesn't develop the characteristic wear patterns that horse does. I'd simply wear it, myself.... but then I've never really understood why anyone would go to extremes to artificially age their jacket any more than the idea of paying extra to have a pre-worn jacket from new. [huh] If you try to force aging on it, there's a chance you might cause damage.

Put it on with a helmet. Have a friend with a Jeep tie you to the rear bumper and drag you down a fire-road a few times.
Dust yerself off and it will look just like you went on an expedition with Indy himself :)
As Tom Petty once said: The waiting is the hardest part..." It's meant to last a lifetime, so it takes a chunk of that lifetime to break 'er in!

too much coffee

Practically Family
Put it on with a helmet. Have a friend with a Jeep tie you to the rear bumper and drag you down a fire-road a few times.
Dust yerself off and it will look just like you went on an expedition with Indy himself :)
As Tom Petty once said: The waiting is the hardest part..." It's meant to last a lifetime, so it takes a chunk of that lifetime to break 'er in!

Good advice.........but "drummer4hire", you must also put in on YouTube so we can make a sticky from it for future break in's.

Regards, coffee

drummer4hire

New in Town
I'll have to give the jeep-tow some consideration. anything for posterity. i actually tossed it in the dryer for about an hour, with a pair of shoes, and that really relaxed the leather. it is much more comfortable now, whereas before, it was like wearing damp cardboard. i very much enjoy this jacket(the first i ever bought myself), but want it to be comfortable. now am toying with the idea of misting it, so i can shape it just right. but, would sitting/leaning and doing homework whilst damp put odd creases in the front? or only if i do homework incessantly for two days straight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn