Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatee anyone?

Rooster

Practically Family
Teacher said:
At that point, this was an old-fashioned look: think late-ninteenth-century to 1915 or so.
Yep, that was the point I was trying to get across...poorly. Goatee's were out of fasion, but still seen on older fellas who probably wore them back "in the day". Beards being the same way.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Rooster said:
Yep, that was the point I was trying to get across...poorly. Goatee's were out of fasion, but still seen on older fellas who probably wore them back "in the day". Beards being the same way.

Meanwhile, long heavily-waxed mustachioes have never gone out of fashion!

Vive la moustache! :cheers1:

Richard

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Excellent info, gentlemen... thank you.

If only I could get away with wearing my goatee on a day-to-day basis at work; sadly, it's against regs.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Too bad. I've been sporting mine for about nine years, no looking back. I had a couple of slightly different ones before that, too. I'm in higher education, so it's no big deal for me, luckily.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Goatees came back into fashion after Dizzy Gillespie and other bop artists starting sporting them in the late 1940's. Then came the beatniks.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Goatees

Hey,

This isn't a slight at anyone here who wears a goatee, but more at goatees in general. As a man, I personally never have liked a goatee-they seem rather uncouth and the very opposite of anything remotely "Golden Era." Maybe it's just because they're so widespread, and at times amongst ''negative'' groups (like wrestling and Nascar fans, etc) but I've seen quite a few sites within the last year refer to the goatee as a ''face mullet" or ''21st century mullet."

It's just to me, whereas a moustache is the least amount of beard--which shows a committed like of facial hair but not to the extent of a beard, which shows a committment, to grow a beard takes time and patience, a goatee seems so, idk, neutral, so indecisive--Like the man wanted to grow a beard but didn't have the patience or committment to growing and upkeeping it. Or like the man wanted to have a beard and mustache but yet not a beard. It's such an odd form of facial hair. JMO.

What do you ladies and gents think of goatees?

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
I wore a beard for decades from age 16, it made me look older. When it shifted to screaming white on the cheeks I let it go. Using a straight razor helped determine the goatee. The chin area takes triple the work to shave than the rest of the face. I keep a full moustache but the chin buzzed fairly close. (I'm a therapist and didn't want to fall into the Freud wanna be society.) I have a photo of my G grandfather about 1900 and he looks very similar. I also like the bohemian look, coming from geniuine bohemian line.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
CoNcUr

Marcus said:
Personally don't care at all with modern clothing. With a vintage style outfit...it jumps out and doesn't work. It's kind of like wearing a nice suit with a baseball cap.

For me there exceptions to the rule. Vincent Price is one of the few Hollywood 40's stars that I can remember sporting a goatee! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

djhatman

One of the Regulars
I've had one for several years now. I shaved it off just to see how I looked and hated it. My niece did not know who I was for a while and would not even talk to me as she has never seen me with out.

....You mean 'white' ones ?

IMG_0781.jpg

Al

One of the Regulars
White one's, Black one's and every kind in between. I've worn mine for more than a decade. they go well with hats. You sport a nice one (goatee and cap), how long?

Last edited:
Well...I grew a full beard when I returned from the Army in '72. Had it for 20 years..then shaved it off. My two little girls cried and told me to put it back on(never seen me without a beard)..so I grew it back..and finally trimmed it down to a goatee when I retired in 1999. Had the goatee ever since.
HD

dnjan

One Too Many
Could we at least call it a van dyke if there is a moustache as well?
A goatee is when there is NO moustache.

and a van dyke does not need to have the moustache connected to the chin hair.

Personally, I think that my van dyke helps elongate my face, and helps hide the double-chin:
Straw0523121b.jpg

Al

One of the Regulars
Could we at least call it a van dyke if there is a moustache as well?
A goatee is when there is NO moustache.

and a van dyke does not need to have the moustache connected to the chin hair.

Personally, I think that my van dyke helps elongate my face, and helps hide the double-chin:
Straw0523121b.jpg

I stand corrected, what I'm wearing (as you are) is indeed a Van Dyke. Nice hat as well.

scooter

Practically Family
Actually, one need not be without a moustache to wear a goatee. It is considered a goatee with, or with out, a moustache. It MAY also be called a Van Dyke. I have worn mine since I retired from the Marines in 1994, shaving it only twice for job requirements.

Oh, and I prefer to think of the color as "blond". LOL!

IMG_0521.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot