Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatee anyone?

Rosie

One Too Many
A friend of mine told me about a week ago he shaved off his goatee because he had a few grays. Why would you fellas do such a thing? [bad] Gray in a man's beard/goatee is distinguished. It's beautiful, I like it ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Personally, I adore a man with facial hair and in particular, goatees, they're so manly, makes me swoon.;)
Totally agree! although still not a huge beard fan, a little too much facial hair for my liking! even with a goatee being gray, it makes a man look great...actually I think a guy looks incredibly handsome with some gray (especially at the temples) in thier goatee :eusa_clap

RedPop4

One Too Many
According to the illustrated guide, I'm closest to a goatee, althought I keep the chin much shorter. Noticed a gray or two last year. With 40 approaching I noticed a few more just yesterday.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
a tip from the ladies: Keep the grey! The only time I feel a guy needs to cut or shave something off is when the bald spot on the noggin is getting a little too big....no comb overs! Grey is sexy...and does not have to mean old at all! The mister is starting to get some greys and I tell him all the time I love it!

Rosie

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
a tip from the ladies: Keep the grey! The only time I feel a guy needs to cut or shave something off is when the bald spot on the noggin is getting a little too big....no comb overs! Grey is sexy...and does not have to mean old at all! The mister is starting to get some greys and I tell him all the time I love it!

Well said MysteryGal, I agree totally. ;)

mysterygal said:

Comb overs! hahahahahhah! lol Those are funny. I just wonder who they are trying to fool.
Grey is sexy?! Ok, if you say so. [huh]

Regards,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
I ain't gonna disagree with a lady either. :D
You're a smart man Tony ;)
Actually, this thread has been very eye opening for me, I figured guys could really care less wether or not they went gray

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
with women it's different. Grey does not do good things to us. To guys,it adds character (but in a good way)...you better believe I'll be dying my hair when I see some grey going in. With almost all the women I've talked to, 9 out of 10 think men look great with grey...why? not sure, it's just the way it is

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
actually it's more like women 45 and older, it's generally frowned upon to have long hair. My mother-in-law for example has the most beautiful auburn hair, and it's long...she gets so much flak from beauticians and friends because her hair is not short. This, I do not get. I love long hair. Especially when in very good condition

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it's at its worst when it first happens. It's a reminder of the passage of time, and that none of us are going to live forever, at least not on this earth.

We learn to accept it, and then begin to consider it as a badge of experience.

Not that it's an accurate indicator of wisdom, though. There are plenty of greybeards who never learned anything in their years. ;)

Tony in Tarzana said:
I think it's at its worst when it first happens. It's a reminder of the passage of time, and that none of us are going to live forever, at least not on this earth.

We learn to accept it, and then begin to consider it as a badge of experience.

Not that it's an accurate indicator of wisdom, though. There are plenty of greybeards who never learned anything in their years. ;)

I think you are quite right. At the beginning it comes as a surprise. :eek:
I have known a few greybeards that you speak of. :D

Regards,

J

Rosie

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
You're a smart man Tony ;)
Actually, this thread has been very eye opening for me, I figured guys could really care less wether or not they went gray

Me too! That is until my friend told me about his gray and his goatee and then you fellas here.

I got my first gray at 25 and was totally :eek: when I first saw it. For a while, I plucked my few grays but now, I just let them be. If I go REALLY gray maybe I'll dye my hair, until then, eh.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Mustache/Goatee... how prevalent?

How common was the mustache/goatee facial-hair combo in the 20's, 30's, 40's? (see my avatar pic for exactly what I'm referring to)

Does anyone have any pics of gents in that era sporting such a look?

I tend to see, predominantly, clean-shaven or mustache-only...

Thanks for your help!

Rooster

Practically Family
I've got some family pics of the mid 20's with Older gents sporting some facial hair. Young fellas were all clean shaven.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Men in Western countries in the 20s, 30s and 40s were mostly either clean shaven or sported a moustache. Full beards were less common and goatees rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot