Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goatskin vs. horsehide breathability?

Longshanks

New in Town
Hi all--
I seem to recall reading about this topic, perhaps not here, apologies if so, but how breathable is horsehide versus a lighter goatskin?
Specifically, does moderate physical activity such as brisk walking create a problem for anyone here with heat buildup inside horsehide jackets?
I walk 2 miles to work (much better than stuffing oneself into the New York City subway...). It's good exercise, and I do raise my metabolism, and today's B3 vs. B6 commentary made me think about whether horsehide or heavy cowhide wearers had the same overheating problem.
Many thanks.

Peacoat

Bartender
A leather jacket alone is not particularly warm, irrespective of the thickness of the leather. A heavy horsehide jacket may be marginally warmer than other leather jackets, but the warmth will come from the liner or what is worn under the jacket, such as a vest or a sweater. The leather will keep the wind off of you and may be waterproof, depending on the tanning process, but will not add much to the insulating value of the jacket.

Others may have different opinions, but I don't think you will overheat wearing a regular horsehide jacket while walking on a normal NY winter day.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Agreed. I've got a over-sized goat skin jacket, over-sized to allow for the extra layering necessary to brave winter's chill for any length of time. It's still not as warm as "real" winter coat options, but it works down to 20F or so. (With the additional layering.)

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Horsehide jackets are usually a bit heavier than goatskin. Neither is a good jacket for Winter wear unless they have an insulated lining. Comfortable temps for these leather jackets (for me) are usually between 40 - 50 degrees. That is why I only wear them in Spring and Fall. I have been uncomfortable wearing a horsehide jacket in 55 degree weather. I guess it just depends on your tolerance for hot and cold temperatures. Leather is not good for extremes in temp IMO. Just ask any pilot or air crew.

Ray

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

If you want to really feel cold, choose the goatskin over the horse. It is more breathable, I think, and just doesn't put up much barrier against the cold without some good lining.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I don't think that either goat or horse is really "breathable". Both are inherently pretty waterproof, which pretty much precludes them from being breathable. I would think that lamb or cowhide might be more breathable, as they both tend to soak up water much more readily.

Of course, it can also depend on tanning and finish treatment. Any hide could be made more or less breathable than how it started.

That's what I think, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana