Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age careers

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Let me say in all seriousness and with high compliments that you are one of the few gentlemen here, my dear Baron, who could pull off a 17th century look, complete with pulled back, dashing hair and cockaded hat.

Thank you very much. I take that as a compliment because i love the late C17th to late C18th look.

I have all the patterns for these things ... maybe i'll get one made some time. There's one for sale at the moment that i thought about in all seriousness ... breeches and all. Too much for me though.

I think this eBay auction can be listed without fear of removal. If you ain't seen it already:

http://cgi.ebay.com/18th-C-Gentlemans-3pc-Silk-Suit-c-1765_W0QQitemZ8411072542QQcategoryZ48864QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would've fit me like a glove. Alas!

As for careers, i wouldn't have had the spare cash to be a scientist in those days (men of leisure tinkering with nature, and all that). Maybe a tailor or something similar - incidentally my current ultimate career plan (retire at 45 and take what work i want to, living in relative peace).

bk

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Me?

I'd be an Airman in the newly forming United States Air Force, hopefully as an aircrew member on leftover bombers and transports from the war. Maybe I could hop on board the hot new B-29!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I would be doing the same thing I am now... performing Burlesque! Heck... I am doing it the way they did it back then so why not! Or I would be in the circus. I actually come from a line of English circus folk that included clowns, trapeze artists, and tight rope walkers! I be in show business anyway. Most likely Burlesque. ;)

koopkooper

Practically Family
Working in radio as I am curently I guess I would have been a famous radio serial actor and then in the 50's I would have moved into a top 40 radio show at night and I would probably call myself Dr Hep and patter on with crazy dj patter, my voice dripping in reverb like the Mad Daddy in 1958 and then I'd get into trouble for taking payola and end up an alcoholic and jobless after being shamed in public. I would then reignite my career over the border in mexico on a border station that the FCC would hate.......meanwhile selling Dr Hep dolls mailorder and books on "how to pick up chicks"

KAT

A-List Customer
I think i would have done this..serious....would i have a chance to have a fancy job back then?

schwer.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd no doubt be doing the same thing - self-employed accountant & tax preparer with office at home - although I'd be using great big old ledgers instead of the computer (although I can do either and have many a-time), using a extra-fine fountain pen (oh wait - I still do that! :p ) on a desk with a candlestick phone and banker's lamp (oh wait - I have those too!) - with clients more like Dad had.

Now it's stuff coming in via email as PDF's or faxes or in the mail, and data pulled in off the internet from banks & brokers. Back then, for some he'd work at the office at home; for others, he'd stop in to the client's shop, do their books for the month right and then off to another of the ones where he could do the books in an hour or two a month.

Alas, I've got no green eyeshade, but I do, in storage, have an old punch-in-the-numbers-and-pull-the-handle-40's-style-adding-machine and one of the big old 60's Olivetti's that can churn & crank with wheels whirring and metallic whose-it's clanking away inside before it spits the answer out on the tape. And I've also got and still ocassionally use my mom's dad's Remington typewriter from the 20's. Three generations learned to type on the same machine which I thinks kind of nifty!

Someday when I remodel, I can already picture a row of 2-drawer file cabinets spanning the wall behind the desk with a continuous top where I can put all those nifty things out on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner