Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Barware

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
May I just put in a seemingly off topic point, but one that I think is relevant: It's good to have a nice glass, but the GIN the VERMOUTH and the CRACKED ICE also have a certain importance in a Martini. (I won't even mention Vodka.)

I certainly see your point, but luckily, you're fighting a windmill. Otherwise we should close the whole lounge (Hyman Feinberg forbid), because it's good to have a nice suit, but character also has a certain importance in life. ;)

Thanks for not mentioning V**ka.

Starius

Practically Family
I thought I would contribute to the bartender guide images that started on page 1 here.

The following is from Old Mr. Boston's De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide 7th Printing December, 1948. (First printing was January, 1935)

It supports the curved cocktail glass, interestingly enough doesn't list a martini glass at all.
Even more interestingly, Senator Jack posted a image from the 1962 edition on page one and it does indeed show the classic "martini" shape for cocktails.

cocktailsdu2.jpg

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Somehow, bringing out these these old bar books to justify what actually constitutes a "martini glass" seems tantamount to bringing out Old World nautical charts to continue the argument the world might still be flat! A martini tastes better served in a triangle. That's MHO. Don't ask me why...it just does. Serve yours in an Old Fashioned if that floats your boat. Let's move on.

Are there really only five people in the FL (one pending photos) that have any vintage barware?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those old charts are great! Thanks for posting, Starius. My book has the drawings but not the names, as it incorrectly states in the book. (But my book came with a sampling of stickers to decorate things areound the home.)
Who knew there was a glass for Ward Eight?
The Tom & Jerry bowl is our ice bowl at the library where I work.
I just received some new brandy inhalers in the mail yesterday, so maybe I'll go inhale some brandy.

Starius

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
Somehow, bringing out these these old bar books to justify what actually constitutes a "martini glass" seems tantamount to bringing out Old World nautical charts to continue the argument the world might still be flat! A martini tastes better served in a triangle. That's MHO. Don't ask me why...it just does. Serve yours in an Old Fashioned if that floats your boat. Let's move on.

Are there really only five people in the FL (one pending photos) that have any vintage barware?

Truth be told, I just brought my book out because I like to share. I'm nutty that way.

I don't have much in the way of barware to show right now. I did just pick up 18 beer glasses for $3.00 though. Or maybe they are soda fountain glasses? I don't really know. They have a odd flair to them. They did come from a bar, so I bet they're beer glasses.

In any event, I've only drank orange juice out of them.

*sigh* What a boring post. Forget I said anything.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Starius said:
Truth be told, I just brought my book out because I like to share. I'm nutty that way.

I don't have much in the way of barware to show right now. I did just pick up 18 beer glasses for $3.00 though. Or maybe they are soda fountain glasses? I don't really know. They have a odd flair to them. They did come from a bar, so I bet they're beer glasses.

In any event, I've only drank orange juice out of them.

*sigh* What a boring post. Forget I said anything.

No, that's fine. Picture(s) of the beer glasses, though? I love vintage barware...and I want PICTURES!!!!!

Starius

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
No, that's fine. Picture(s) of the beer glasses, though? I love vintage barware...and I want PICTURES!!!!!

Well here you go. I don't think they're vintage... but I pretty much got 18 of them for 16 cents a piece. So a good deal anyway you look at it.

barglassessc3.jpg

luvthatlulu

Suspended
The way I see it...

you paid 16 cents a piece for some great looking beer glasses. I just left a local BBQ joint a few hours ago that sells cheap, cheesy glasses with their logo on them for $3.99 a piece. Now let me see...great looking glasses for 16 cents or those cheap looking cheesy ones for $3.99...hmmm, what to do?

Thanks for the picture...and they are beer glasses!!!

P. S. - Find someone to do a nice retro deco-style monogram on them and really make me jealous.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Tom & Jerry"? I have started seeing mugs with that printed on them, in several antique stores.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
panamag8or said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Tom & Jerry"? I have started seeing mugs with that printed on them, in several antique stores.

4p light rum
2p brandy
12p hot milk
1 whole egg, separated
freshly ground nutmeg

Beat the white and the yolk of the egg separately. Mix together in a coffee mug glass. Add the sugar [strangely, that's not mentioned in the ingredients] and beat the egg mixture again. Pour in the rum and brandy. Add the hot milk and stir gently. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

(Source: The New York Bar-Tender's Guide)

Another martini, please! And hurry. I'm going to be sick...I think. ;) Wait a minute...maybe that's what the bowl's for!!!!:eek:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Score! I've been looking for this style glass since I spotted it in liquor ads from the 30's-40's. So far out of fashion, it is all but forgotten.
On the left, the ad from 1947. On the right, my 75c thrift store find.

image.jpg

Nobert

Practically Family
Score! I've been looking for this style glass since I spotted it in liquor ads from the 30's-40's. So far out of fashion, it is all but forgotten.
On the left, the ad from 1947. On the right, my 75c thrift store find.

View attachment 10496

Nice. I've seen a few of those, or at least of similar size and shape, in my thrift store rounds. I always thought they were cordial glasses. I just got one that's larger (closer to a traditional cocktail glass but not as big), but has the exact same stem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ