Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Passtimes / Hobbies

Feraud

Bartender
I found an amazing hobby shop recently (Willis Hobbies in Mineola, NY). It was the type of place my dad used to take us and you rarely see nowadays. I couldn't walk out w/out buying a model and picked up a martial war machine from the 1953 War of the Worlds. It's the Pegasus 1/48 scale verions. The kit is very well made and painting is required. I'm currently giving it a glossy bronze finish and decided to install led lights in the hull and death ray.

After that I have an Iron Man arc reactor I've been waiting to build. I also have some leatherwork to do and a few other ideas that have caught my attention.
There ain't enough time in the day..

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Model trains! sewing, hand embroidery, a little knitting, gardening, cooking, social ballroom dancing, singing. Raised my now 16 ad 18 yo children with these pastimes as well, also did puppetry and made home made toys with them.

Feraud

Bartender
There is a model shop I visit that has an amazing train selection. Simply browsing the shop makes me want to take up the hobby! Unfortunately I don't have the room or time for another hobby..

There is a model shop I visit that has an amazing train selection. Simply browsing the shop makes me want to take up the hobby! Unfortunately I don't have the room or time for another hobby..

Right now space for me is at a premium (but if I plan it right it won't be ;)). In the meantime have you thought about Z Scale trains? Though it seems that they mainly do European trains.

[video=youtube;lBC8D9Qu3l4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBC8D9Qu3l4[/video]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
HA! That's what my bf said, then he cleared an area in his garage and is currently (in his practically non-existent spare time) building an HO scale railroad empire. I've temporarily comandeered his pool table for my O-scale layout-untill he builds the upstairs addition that will (eventually) permanently house it...:) He had HO trains as a kid, he's thrilled (and hooked) working on them and playing trains again.

Unfortunately I don't have the room or time for another hobby..

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I had an HO scale at one time, and used it to go around my Dept 56 Snow Village.
Of course this only went up once a year, like this time of year, and required a lot of time.
Now I don't have the space to put any of it up and couldn't tell you where the train is.
Also, having dogs for the past 35yrs, trains on the floor don't really work out. :)

vintageTink

One Too Many
I sew, crochet, embroider, sing, read. I'd love to take up gardening but in the nasty Pacific Northwest it's hard to do!
I sew mostly vintage repros for myself, regular clothes for spouse and sons.
Spouse plays piano, did Ham radio, and model trains.

I have become owner of quite a bit of Tyco HO scale train items, engines, cars, tracks, infrastructure pieces such as bridges, stairways, etc, in the past few weeks. Need a place to set it all up, now.

tuppence

Practically Family
I tried to learn ukulele last year. I'm fairly hopeless, but it seems like something you can pretty much teach yourself. I'm going to retake it up when I have some time.

My imagination immediately went for the ridiculous and obscure, imagining something like collecting electric eels or home surgery.

We have the largest collection of English Victorian Glass beads west of the Mississippi.

I like to save the foil from gum packets.

Home embalming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR