Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Passtimes / Hobbies

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
It's too hot outside right now, so I like to cruise Google images for old photos while enjoying a bottle of Mexican Coke or Stella Artois if I know I'm going to be a while. Listen to old R&B songs and go to fantasy land for a while.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Me and some buddies are having a 1940's hobo "reenactment" here soon. I got a homemade guitar and we're going to make some stew on a campfire down by the railroad tracks!

Don't forget your "lagerphone". It's a percussive instrument made from beer bottle caps nailed to a pole and sometimes a cross-member attached to the top. It can be hit with a stick or hit against the ground.

claude.jpg

Vintage Rose

New in Town
This isn't a hobby per se, but I can veggies and make jam. I like to swing dance. I knit, crochet, and am learning to sew. I love old radio shows. I have my own version of a victory garden.

archer

New in Town
archer

what i am interested in doing is creating a scale model of Rick's Cafe Americanin from the movie Casablanca. If any one has any photos of the interior please e-mail me at edwardburdett123 at gmail .com thank you. And remember, " Everybody comes to Rick's''

what i am interested in doing is creating a scale model of Rick's Cafe Americanin from the movie Casablanca. If any one has any photos of the interior please e-mail me at edwardburdett123 at gmail .com thank you. And remember, " Everybody comes to Rick's''

Sounds like an ambitious project. What scale is it going to be? I know I've seen production stills of the sets from Casablanca including Rick's Cafe.

MV5BMTgxOTE5NjcwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTA4NDI2._V1._SX450_SY335_.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I collect old cars. I have a 1939 Ford panel truck. A 1946 Chevy pickup . A 1950's split-window Volkswagen beetle.
I also collect vintage bikes. '52 Black Phantom,'53 Green phantom,'55 Red Phantom & a '56 Columbia , latest is a
1920's Indian bicycle. Enjoy cruising the country back roads & painting old vintage farms & wildlife.

Feraud

Bartender
For the last few years my wife and I have been gardening. We don't have much room but enjoy it. There is a lot of satisfaction in eating homegrown veggies. We've got basil growing like weeds!

Last edited:

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I need a hobby. Please help.
Learn to play Go! That is my golden era hobby. Invented in China and refined in Japan, it was very popular in Asia during the early 20th century and still is today. Here is an article from Life magazine, May 18 1942 that describes the game. Outside of the racially charged language, it is a very good introduction and is an interesting look at how the game was perceived during WWII.
You can find more info and on-line resources at the American Go Association website.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Hobbies came and went. Someone would invent a new pastime, it would become a fad, only to be supplanted by another fad. Starting from the twenties there were jigsaw puzzles, Mah Jong,radio,bridge, soap carving, crossword puzzles Monopoly, miniature golf, Canasta, and no doubt a few more I have forgotten. Then there were old standbys like sports, model building, stamp collecting, coin collecting and so on.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Like many ladies here, I like all the domestic arts: gardening, baking, sewing, and knitting--the last of which I find weirdly addictive. And I'm really enjoying tinkering with the house, trying to retrofit it back to the 1930s one square inch at a time.

My all-time favorite golden era activity, though, is to sit next to my cathedral radio on Sunday evenings, listening to the Old Timey Music Sunday evening programs on KDHX while reading or knitting. There is nothing finer. Oh, maybe a cool beer at my side ...

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Free Flight

I'm surprised no one has mentioned model free flight airplanes. Both gas and rubber band powered was huge around the world between the wars. Not just kids, adults were in on the act to. Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda built and flew them together, and continued to do so well after the war.[video=youtube;v-b_tkmsCTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-b_tkmsCTs&feature=related[/video]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised no one has mentioned model free flight airplanes. Both gas and rubber band powered was huge around the world between the wars. Not just kids, adults were in on the act to. Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda built and flew them together, and continued to do so well after the war.]

I remember as a kid in the 50's , my uncle building a wood kit model airplane. The glue had a distinct odor ! I remember
Strombecker or something like that.

Feraud

Bartender
My dad used to build RC model airplanes. We grew up with in progress planes around the house.
My brother rand I used to go with him to the hobby shop. I didn't make planes but loved monsters. King Kong, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.
There aren't many hobby shops left. We are lucky to have Rudy's Hobby & Art in Astoria.
Here is an article from 2010 on the place.
http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/astoria-hobby-shop-stays-in-the-game-1.2518829

Steven180

One of the Regulars
I also have been collecting historical items from Clipper flying boats lately, but am a long time World War II history and Resistance enthusiast.

M.

This is bring back some memories.

Playing stick ball, flying kites, going home to help mom bake some apple pie then listening to the Phillies on the RCA radio with my DAD.
Then help Dad shine his shoes for work the next day. Wow life was much simpler back then and I really miss Mom's Apple pie.
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko