Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Passtimes / Hobbies

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
yes 55# would probably be fine. I'd feel a little better with a stronger bow. But mostly no one I know bow hunts and if I did meet people they would be using compounds and camo, etc. I've already done that, not interested in the cabelas camo fashion show, or high tech bows.

Plenty of my friends rifle hunt and a few would probably be very open to wearing all wool and using old rifles (the wool part and canvass tents etc we already kind of have down.) Everybody already loves Filson and surplus wool. I do WWII reenacting and have kitchen gear, period looking coolers etc already also.

Of course I need to be in the country during hunting season! that will be the biggest challenge.

Some friends of mine have done South Africa once and are talking about going back. I mentioned doing it in turn of the century big game hunter clothes (think the old Belgium hunter look) and using period type rifles and one buddy already started buying all the stuff! So I may be committed to that.
I've never met anyone who hunts with a wood bow or even knows that they used to be wood! Tons of archery shops around here , all compounds, cables and cams now and noone knows anything about the beautiful history behind. So...I just stick to reading the works of Saxton Pope, Howard Hill, Maurice Thompson and Fred Bear and it takes me back in time. That WWII reenacting sounds interesting, we've attented plenty of Revolutionary War and Civil War reenacting but I've never heard of what you're doing here in the US. I know they do this in Europe.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I've never met anyone who hunts with a wood bow or even knows that they used to be wood! Tons of archery shops around here , all compounds, cables and cams now and noone knows anything about the beautiful history behind. So...I just stick to reading the works of Saxton Pope, Howard Hill, Maurice Thompson and Fred Bear and it takes me back in time. That WWII reenacting sounds interesting, we've attented plenty of Revolutionary War and Civil War reenacting but I've never heard of what you're doing here in the US. I know they do this in Europe.

Here is who taught me to build my bow, one of the greats
http://selfbow.com/
A true keeper of lost knowledge. We used all hand tools the same as would have been used 600-800 years ago. I need to go back and build a true English Warbow of at least 90# just because.

I remember watch Howard hill on TV when I was a kid (old reruns, but I think my dad had seen him in person) I bought his movie a few years ago, and I have a vintage longbow made by the guy who made his.

WWII is pretty big in the east, on the west coast the biggest events we've pulled off is about 350 people. In fact Ft Indiantown gap PA, is having the Battle of the Budge this week. The biggest event in the US. If anyone is near there it would be great to go to the public days. Something like 1500 WWII reenactors.

It's fun, it combines historical research, collecting, living history, role play, military camaraderie and of course playing army like a kid but with real machinguns and tanks.

Some bad guys (and girls)
IMG_0606a-1.jpg

558932462_133_of_816.jpg

15ce-2.jpg

l_4b86d6881078450591d9122af83d9735.jpg

WWIIreenactmentCA2005007-1.jpg

l_96b4809e49944a59b39a2f4986375163.jpg

a5474882.jpg

and even some good guys
1a18be60.jpg

veterans, what it all about
DSC04697.jpg

sorry don't have many allied forces uploaded to my photobucket and have a horrible connection where I am now

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My Dad was born in 1919, and is pretty much golden era. His memories of growing up are of playing baseball. There was a ball diamond across the creek in a pasture behind my grandparent's house. He played high school ball. A few of his team mates played in college, but he didn't really have time anyway because he worked his way through college.

Later

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Ragnar, I loved the link to the Yew longbows! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I've got a few DVD's of Howard and some of the others, as a boy I collected books and gear. I remember some good project articles in old issues of popular machanics too, longbows and recurves. I've collected it all. Maybe I'll take some pics of my bows and gear today and post.
Now on the topic of the WWII reenactments, I Will definatley be checking that out today, we're in Scranton Pa so it isn't that far and I'd really love to see this!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Took of few pics of my archery gear, and a shot of me passing down my love of this old passtime, target archery.
img2497i.jpg

Here's my back quiver with a signature, Glenn St Charles. No idea if it was his or an endorsed product line, most likely the latter.
img2499j.jpg

Teaching my children and having fun.
dscf22332.jpg

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Ragnar, I loved the link to the Yew longbows! That's exactly what I'm talking about! I've got a few DVD's of Howard and some of the others, as a boy I collected books and gear. I remember some good project articles in old issues of popular machanics too, longbows and recurves. I've collected it all. Maybe I'll take some pics of my bows and gear today and post.
Now on the topic of the WWII reenactments, I Will definatley be checking that out today, we're in Scranton Pa so it isn't that far and I'd really love to see this!

If you are in PA you have to go to FIG! take a day off and go see it, you won't be disappointed. If I wasn't on the other side of the world I'd be there.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I'll chime in here. Many of my hobbies were around in the Golden Age, but have changed. I enjoy building and painting toy soldiers 40mm and 54mm (flats, semi-rounds, etc). As well, build models- but todays models are hundreds of times more advanced today! Reading is also a hobby and I like stuff written both today as well as military and sci-fi from the 1950s and earlier.

I do camp, fish hike and canoe which was done then. However, I'm slowly adding old-fashioned items when and as I can do it. Have a wood and canvas canoe I'm restoring and have all pre-50s fishing stuff. As the budget allows adding vintage or vintage inspired clothing as well.

But its all an evolution!

Clint

JimWagner

Practically Family
I guess that amateur radio qualifies as I got interested in it as a teen reading old Radio Boys novels from the 20's. I don't know how vintage my fly fishing actually is, but it's the original form of pleasure or hobby fishing I believe.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I guess that amateur radio qualifies as I got interested in it as a teen reading old Radio Boys novels from the 20's. I don't know how vintage my fly fishing actually is, but it's the original form of pleasure or hobby fishing I believe.

Plenty of Russian plays on shortwave still, and of course, the Christian plays in the 41 meter band

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Have any of the men here tried their hand a knitting? I've gotta say it's a very pleasurable winter pastime. Seems to have originated in Scotland/Ireland by the fishermen, something to do when it's too cold to do much else and...you could make yourself a sweater!!!

I taught my son to knit and he really enjoys it. He's getting quite good too!

Trombone

Familiar Face
Besides playing trombone, (a 1935 Martin Handcraft Imperial), trains of all sizes is something that I would call an obsession more than a hobby. Though I don't have much, I and many other people love vintage Lionel, back when toy design was on the industrial advertisement side of the toy market (Joshua Lionel Cowen, the founder, had a real nack for advertising). But mostly I stick with my HO scale, I would also agree that hobbies like mine are falling out of favor because of the time required...damn my Generation...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I play golden-era jazz-music on the piano when I have a few spare minutes. I finally got my hands right on doing "Anything Goes" (the Cole Porter classic from 1934). I'm still learning how to do the introduction, though ("Times, have changed, and we've often rewound the clock,..." etc).

Warden

One Too Many
Our new little one was born on Thursday and things have been a little manic in the Harry & Edna 1940s postal district,

Thus our 4 year old son has been very good and entertain himself, he completed this jigsaw.

Very impressed he managed it, plus I do like his choice in jigsaw picture http://twitpic.com/548nnp

In this world of Playstations, so pleased he wanted to do a jigsaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner