Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Passtimes / Hobbies

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I enjoyed the larger scale trains for their durability. I think a majority of my childhood memories with HO scale involved cars getting derailed because of the tiniest inconsistencies in the track joints. That, and the rubber-band motors of the first HO trains.

Can we tinker anymore? It seems impossible to pull anything apart these days without running into a vast plain of circuit-boards. I learned to drive a Model-T this summer and was rather envious of the simplicity of the mechanics.

I always say if I would win the lottery and could retire, I would repair and refurbish old TV's, Radios, lamps, phones, etc with all the free time. I find it fascinating.

Well, you know, you're absolutely right. No one wants to repair anything these days, it's simply not cost effective. That being said, a friend of mine is setting up a Computer/TV/Radio shop believe it or not. He's only going to do repairs, no sales, and he's going to run the whole gamete from LCD and plasma TV through to tube radios.

MissMittens

One Too Many
It's also not very easy, contrary to what some believe. A bad tube could be indicative of other failing components, sometimes (oftentimes) on a different portion of the chassis. If you want to give it a go, get yourself a late 30's copy of Riders Perpetual and find a nice Philco or Zenith floor console to play with. As for old TV's, I sold the last one I had on that auction site I hate so much. It was a 1947 Pilot 3" TV, the first true "portable" TV. Worked great, just didn't have room or a use for it.

Apartment living sucks.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I thought I had posted something in here, O'le nimble fingers here!! I've been whittling and woodcarving since my grandfather gave me my first pocket knive when I was ten. I've been into Archery since my first wood bow at the age of seven. I've made many of my own bows and all my own wood arrows for years. My grandfather gave me three target bows made in the twenties in an English Longbow style. I love to putter in the garden and my flower beds, I've done all the renovations on my house from the sheetrock to windows and doors to decks and vinyl siding. Oh!! I also love the old Balsa and tissue paper model airplanes.
And then there's my classic car I've been fixin up...I guess I keep pretty busy cuz I've still got a list of other things I could add!!!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Have any of the men here tried their hand a knitting? I've gotta say it's a very pleasurable winter pastime. Seems to have originated in Scotland/Ireland by the fishermen, something to do when it's too cold to do much else and...you could make yourself a sweater!!!

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Painting miniature soldiers and tabletop wargaming is something men and boy have been doing for a couple hundred years. Not the same games they played in the day but the same idea. I mostly play WWII and they would have been playing Napoleonics, Revolutionary War, or something like that. I enjoy the painting a lot.

Of course biking, shooting, skiing, snowshoeing, climbing and mountaineering, etc are all the same hobbies people had years ago, but I do it all with modern equipment. I do shoot an English Longbow, so I guess that counts.

I may start hunting again but do it in all vintage clothing and use a K98, Enfield, or 1903A3. Same with Camping, probably switch to vintage inspired adventures.

I read a lot.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
My primary golden era hobby, the one activity that has stayed with me through several decades is playing the piano. It's especially my 'Golden Era' hobby since 90% of the material is the American Popular Songbook 1920's - 1960's.

Though my repetoire centers around composers like Porter, Gershwin, Ellington, and the standards, I do mix it up with some Classical, Rock and Lounge.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My primary golden era hobby, the one activity that has stayed with me through several decades is playing the piano. It's especially my 'Golden Era' hobby since 90% of the material is the American Popular Songbook 1920's - 1960's.

Though my repetoire centers around composers like Porter, Gershwin, Ellington, and the standards, I do mix it up with some Classical, Rock and Lounge.

You sound a lot like me. I also play the American Songbook ca. 1900-1955 on the piano.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Hiking, long bike rides, Sunday drives just for the sake of it and stopping to read information bilboards while enjoying the coffee we brought along. I don't share hub's ham hobby but it fills a lot in our home and life and it's not the rare occassion that I have to get things warmed up for when he gets home. Not a Golden Era hobby in itself but I make (lousy) attempts at repairing broken jewelry or making new ones out of jewelry spare parts.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Painting miniature soldiers and tabletop wargaming is something men and boy have been doing for a couple hundred years. Not the same games they played in the day but the same idea. I mostly play WWII and they would have been playing Napoleonics, Revolutionary War, or something like that. I enjoy the painting a lot.

Of course biking, shooting, skiing, snowshoeing, climbing and mountaineering, etc are all the same hobbies people had years ago, but I do it all with modern equipment. I do shoot an English Longbow, so I guess that counts.

I may start hunting again but do it in all vintage clothing and use a K98, Enfield, or 1903A3. Same with Camping, probably switch to vintage inspired adventures.

I read a lot.

Have you thought of using the Long Bow in your vintage hunting quest? With a back quiver full of wood arrows that you've fletched yourself. Sounds like the makings of a new hobby for you to consider! Think Saxton Pope or Howard Hill!!

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Have you thought of using the Long Bow in your vintage hunting quest? With a back quiver full of wood arrows that you've fletched yourself. Sounds like the makings of a new hobby for you to consider! Think Saxton Pope or Howard Hill!!

Yes i have thought about it but two things: One, I would probably build another bow in the 75-85 pound range, my current bow Ii made to be really easy to shoot as I used to have a bad right shoulder, so it's only 55#. Second. and this is the big one, I'd have to practice A LOT. I wouldn't be comfortable hunting until I could hit in a hand sized group every shot at 25 - 35m and thats not easy with a bare bow, at least not for me.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars

Yes and then there is the making of the arrows. I have a couple war arrows I made but I would need to build practice arrows and hunting arrows of the same demensions, etc. Then full buckskins, then...., then...

It's hard to know when to stop!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I would imagine the the 55lb draw weight would be more than adequate for most large game out to 30 yards. I also have a bad shoulder that gets really aggravated by archery and as such I don't shoot that often anymore. I'll confess too that although I went hunting for years with a bow....sshhh.. I never took a shot. Had plenty of chances....just never took the shot. I really enjoyed the whole process of making my equipment, practicing on target and simulating hunting targets and then the afternoons in the woods.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
I would imagine the the 55lb draw weight would be more than adequate for most large game out to 30 yards. I also have a bad shoulder that gets really aggravated by archery and as such I don't shoot that often anymore. I'll confess too that although I went hunting for years with a bow....sshhh.. I never took a shot. Had plenty of chances....just never took the shot. I really enjoyed the whole process of making my equipment, practicing on target and simulating hunting targets and then the afternoons in the woods.

yes 55# would probably be fine. I'd feel a little better with a stronger bow. But mostly no one I know bow hunts and if I did meet people they would be using compounds and camo, etc. I've already done that, not interested in the cabelas camo fashion show, or high tech bows.

Plenty of my friends rifle hunt and a few would probably be very open to wearing all wool and using old rifles (the wool part and canvass tents etc we already kind of have down.) Everybody already loves Filson and surplus wool. I do WWII reenacting and have kitchen gear, period looking coolers etc already also.

Of course I need to be in the country during hunting season! that will be the biggest challenge.

Some friends of mine have done South Africa once and are talking about going back. I mentioned doing it in turn of the century big game hunter clothes (think the old Belgium hunter look) and using period type rifles and one buddy already started buying all the stuff! So I may be committed to that.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Hiking was HUGE in Britain in the 1930s, also cycling and caravaning for lower/middle class people. Punch Magazine published some funny cartoons about Hiking, showing how the countryside was practically being overrun with walkers! lol.

Also driving just for the sake of it - Sunday Drives, just for pleasure of motoring in your automobile. My boyfriend and I do that in our Pre-War cars, particularly in the Summer.

Ameteur Dramatics were popular and also belonging to a dance troupe. My Nana belonged to an ameteur tap troupe. Sometimes they'd get a call to come and fill in on a theatre programme on a Saturday night and get a few shillings for their trouble. Here she is below, fourth from Left.

Grace4thfromright.jpg

I knit a fair bit, but it has a practical application that we get something to wear at the end of it. I'm not sure it was seen so much as a hobby then as an everyday skill for most women. Good on you chaps doing it too. Bravo!

As you know, my familiy's in the gun business and you're pretty much just given something to hunt with that Dad sees fit. I shot an AK one time and was good with it, so he went "here you go, hunt with this" I never got a deer with it though, got mine with a bolt action 30-30. Much prefer it to the AK actually.

Decent enough guns.

I have a LOT of modern guns. I shoot thousands (5-10k) of rounds a year. Almost all of them are military styled. I have no interest in hunting with any them, or any other modern gun for that matter.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
As you know, my familiy's in the gun business and you're pretty much just given something to hunt with that Dad sees fit. I shot an AK one time and was good with it, so he went "here you go, hunt with this" I never got a deer with it though, got mine with a bolt action 30-30. Much prefer it to the AK actually.

I'm not saying anything bad about your gun, I was just stating modern guns don't interest me for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran