Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Passtimes / Hobbies

Feraud

Bartender
Does anyone do leatherwork carving, tooling, stamping?
I have a couple of vintage dress belt buckles and am thinking I may need to take up the craft to get the buckles back in action.

Gene

Practically Family
It's not really golden era unless you are around a campfire with other hobos, making mulligan stew. ;)

-Dave

Me and some buddies are having a 1940's hobo "reenactment" here soon. I got a homemade guitar and we're going to make some stew on a campfire down by the railroad tracks!

JimWagner

Practically Family
Does anyone do leatherwork carving, tooling, stamping?
I have a couple of vintage dress belt buckles and am thinking I may need to take up the craft to get the buckles back in action.

Occasionally. Belts, wallets, checkbook covers, etc. Made a couple of custom holsters in the past year. Most of what you need for what you are talking about doing you should be able to get from Tandy.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Watching old movies, that's my old hobby.
Then again gardening and taking care of flowers or roses, that could qualify as well.
Those have been around long before the golden era.
Unfortunately, since I'm best at it, "grooming the Bedlington" has also become a hobby. I'm better at holding the dog back when she squirms. :)

sportell

New in Town
Most of my hobbies are focused around the SCA, which I'm VERY active in. So I do lots of Medieval crafting. But learning to sew has carried over into my love of 30s & 50s. I make my own dresses. Later I'd like to make my own hats. I also do a bit of knitting here and there. When I have free time, I love to bake. I can't cook well, but I bake tasty treats. :) I also practice on my keyboard when I can. I love the idea of sitting around and playing piano, with friends singing along. As friends aren't always so inclined, I am happy that my fiance and children are very happy to sing with me. (We're a musical family.)

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I sew, I cook, I garden and read. And now and then I watch a movie or play records. I really love candy making. I love the nuance of it, trying to do it without a candy thermometer is a challenge! I'm actually about to go make some fudge while dinner cooks from an heirloom recipe, and I think I want to make the fudge more than I want to eat it!

Feraud

Bartender
Occasionally. Belts, wallets, checkbook covers, etc. Made a couple of custom holsters in the past year. Most of what you need for what you are talking about doing you should be able to get from Tandy.
Thanks for the info. JW. I ordered a catalog from Tandy and they seem to have everything one could need to get the job done.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Like several others, I enjoy ham radio. The fellow who was my mentor when I became interested was first licensed in 1938 I believe, and served as a radio operator in Italy during WWII. He had lots of Golden Era radio stories to tell. I was never able to come close to matching his ability to copy morse code, although that has been my main mode of radio communication over the years. I also read a lot and enjoy walking and hiking with my wife.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
My main hobby is jewelry making (or should I say obsession), which I know that women were learning how to do during the Golden Era. I think especially during that time, craft schools were more available to people. I wish we had more craft schools now. Especially ones in millinery. I tried my hands on it one time and failed miserably. :p Plus, finding millinery shops are very hard to find right now. There's only one that I can think of in Downtown.

Anyways, back to jewelry. My biggest inspiration for jewelry is looking back to the Golden Era designs. Whenever I am shopping anywhere, the jewelry section is usually the first place I hit. So if you see a girl in LA with short black hair and glasses whose face is pressed up against the jewelry case counter, that's probably me. j/k lol

I also love shopping for vintage. That's a hobby right? :D

I usually like to make a lot of fashion accessories (jewelry, headbands, etc.). I would love to branch into clothes, but I don't know how to sew really well (I hand sew really badly). The last time I took a sewing class, my teacher told me not to push so hard on the foot pedal. "You are not driving on the freeway!" lol I could never get the rhythm of the sewing machine and I decided to drop the class. It's one of my biggest regrets during college. :(

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Gardening has become a fun pastime of mine. Most everyone around here has landscapers and underground sprinkler systems, not to mention gardeners. We have a gardener to do the weekly mowing, but I do the watering, landscaping, and trimming of plants, flowers, and edges. I find it very rewarding and relaxing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112