Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Planes of Fame

birddog

New in Town
Hughes H-1

The canopy was rolled back into the aft fuselage & the forward windscreen moved several inches forward to accomodate cockpit entry. Both windows were operated by cockpit handcranks.

Bird Dog

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Hughes H-1

The canopy on the Hughes H-1 retracted down into the sides of the cockpit, this feature was copied on Jim Wright's Hughes H-1b replica, and was the subject of some discussion during the building of Jim Wright's replica.

Hughes could also raise the seat for better visibility on landing, as seen on period news reel footage.

You can see the partially retracted canopy on the original H-1 at NASM in this photo.

h1nasm.jpg

Several air racers of the period also used the same method for enclosing the canopy, like the Wedell Williams racers, and Roscoe Turner's Meteor.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I would love to see a picture of a B-36, B-29, B-17, and B-25 all lined up.

That would be cool.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Definitely the H-1, i desperately want to get a replica built to perfection and specifications...but also i spied this little modern beauty that i'd sure like to have it:

mooneyacclaim.jpg

The Mooney Acclaim

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
So similar, and yet the B-29 was a thing of beauty, and the B-36 a monstrosity.

Being rather large and ungainly myself, I confess a certain fondness for the B-36. I absolutely love the early scene in "Strategic Air Command" starring Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart when the '36 passes overhead in full song.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Someday, I'd like to scratchbuild a P-61 Black Widow--then repower it with a pair of P&W R-4360 class engines: 1/3 the installed power of a B-36, in a much smaller package, anyone?:eek: :D

that was a pretty advanced engine, the R-4360 Wasp...would definitely make for an interesting P-61...afraid i wouldn't be able to offer much help as far as hands on...only have some knowledge of those old supercharged motors...[huh] ...love to engage in the project though...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are probably 5 or less organizations on the planet capable of recreating a P-61. It would take probably 10 years to do and cost at least $20 million.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Get me the blueprints and give me time to develop my machining skill and I'm on for both--cuttin' metal is FUN!:eek: *wagging eyebrows*

how much dough ya' need to start out with? lol :D

Actually, Twitch's estimate is considerably lower than what I was figuring for a P-61. The ideal approach would be to hunt down several wrecks and try to salvage them, piecing them into a flightworthy "standard" model.

And if I can't get the specs for everything down to the last nut, bolt and washer it's all a moot point anyway.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
ah, i see...well it's a possible future project anyway...when time allows, i'll see what i can dig up as far as specs...

birddog

New in Town
birddog said:
The canopy was rolled back into the aft fuselage & the forward windscreen moved several inches forward to accomodate cockpit entry. Both windows were operated by cockpit handcranks.

Bird Dog

I stand corrected on the canopy mistake. I mixed it up with Lindberg's Lockheed Model 8 Sirius "Tingmissartog", that was one of the earliest, if not the first, airplane to use a sliding canopy.

birddog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183