Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Undershirts

Paris1925

New in Town
"Wife Beaters"

Marc Chevalier said:
Back in the Golden Era, these were called "wife-beaters".

Actually, the term "wife beater" didn't come into use until the 1970s. If you believe "That '70s Show," that was a golden era! My dad, who was born in 1917, always called them "singlets," which I think is what they're called in England, too.

shindeco

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
I find I stay cooler even in hot weather with an undershirt and it adds years to the shirt's life.

You're not alone; Fred Astaire used to wear a full union suit under his tails to absorb the sweat and stay cooler while dancing. I've never gone that far but I agree, the undershirt makes a big difference.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Nordstroms or Dillards

Have good quality A-Shirts. They don't shrink like the Haines at Wal-Mart. I wear them year round. They absorb perspiration and I really don't care one way or the other is some redneck or Brooklynite wears them in the summer. I prefer them to the standard t-shirt. I alway buy them one size bigger so that I can get a longer shirt and it stays tucked into my trousers. Don't go with any poly blends. 100% cotton so it breathes.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
And in California they're called;

Cholo Shirts. All the Mexicans with lowrider cars wear them. So now we have all three coasts covered; Brooklyn the Italians wear them, California the Mexicans and in the South rednecks. They're to clothes what the Camaro and Firebird were to cars with these groups.:cheers1:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
scotrace, a string vest is like an A shirt but with netting instead of fabric.
It always makes me think of what the "bete noir" uncle wears in lieu of a shirt when he really should be wearing a shirt. Think of Randy Quaid's character in "Vacation"

Matt, I do prefer tank top or A shirt. Pretty much anything but wife beater.

The Wolf

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Holeproof singlet

Hello Guys,

The holeproof singlet or a-shirt actually comes in an all cotton version which you can get in stores here, though I am still to find someone that sells them online.

Will keep looking for you.

Cheers

Peter

3PieceSuitGuy said:
The holeproof singlet or a-shirt actually comes in an all cotton version which you can get in stores here, though I am still to find someone that sells them online. Will keep looking for you. Peter
Peter,

what are the Brand names of the manufacturers?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Athletic Vests/Singlets-

Picked up a swag of em in India a couple of years ago.
High armholes and narrower straps

Made by 'Jockey', A famous brand of unfashionable underwear.

But I can't find the ones with the narrow straps on the internet...

I'm sure 'Wifebeater' is older than the '70s...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner