Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Undershirts

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Does anyone have a source for undershirts? Sort of like the "muscle shirt" styles seen today, but less stretch ribbed, and the shoulder straps are thinner, with no fabric between the bound edges...
Having a hard time finding a good picture.

gabletwo.jpg

See? He DID wear undershirts.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I just saw "Idiot's Delight" with a scene of Gable getting dressed. When I saw him in an "A" shirt I was surprised as well.
I thought the ribbed fabric were period. I tend to wear them. I've noticed the bound edges touching in older under-shirts though.
Wild Root or Matt Deckard probably know all about this.

The Wolf

Marty M.

Vendor
Under it all is the Tee.

Wolf,
I used to sell a Swedish line called Sunspiel. The spelling may not be correct. Try looking them up on the web. If you can't find them or someone else, then let me know. I'll be glad to do a little more research for you. I'm also heading to market later this week. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Marty

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Does anyone have a source for undershirts? Sort of like the "muscle shirt" styles seen today, but less stretch ribbed, and the shoulder straps are thinner, with no fabric between the bound edges...
Having a hard time finding a good picture.
QUOTE]

Greenspans (a store in the LA area) sells these. The brand they sell is called Robert P. Miller. I think they might be deadstock, and I bought a couple because they looked vintage.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Are these what you mean?

Hello,

In Australia we have a brand called Holeproof that do a "singlet" as we call them like the old wife beater. There is a thermal aircell version and then there is a ribbed version. I wear the ribbed version but can only find internet links to the aircell version. So you can get a look at the style here is a link to a site that sells them:

http://www.zodee.com.au/Mens/Underwear/Singlets/?sort=date&filter=120&categoryId=1186

Cheers

Peter

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The early-mid twentieth century ones were different.

These are common, ordinary Hanes A-shirts you can find at Walmart:
prod_H7990_zoom.jpg

Wide straps, low arm openings, stretchy tight ribs: BAD.

The Goden Era version was different in the details.
gabletwo.jpg
shirt1.jpg

Thin straps, no fabric in the straps between the edge binding, higher arm openings. Gable's shirt seems to have no ribbing in the fabric at all: GOOD.

Ah... nevermind. I guess I have plenty else to obsess over... :)

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
No Worries

Hello Scotrace,

Keep in mind that the version you are looking at is the aircell version, similar in cut but not material to the one Gable is wearing. The version that I wear is pretty much identical, it is not ribbed but just a woven cotton.

I will see if I can find an internet seller for you, then you can simply order through them if you want.

Cheers

Peter

You might check out J.C. Penny's and Sears, although I can't swear they'll have exactly what you want, but they probably still carry the general Guinea tee shirts, I wear them in the winter under my dress shirts some times if it is chilly.

scotrace said:
These are common, ordinary Hanes A-shirts you can find at Walmart:
prod_H7990_zoom.jpg

Wide straps, low arm openings, stretchy tight ribs.

The Goden Era version was different in the details.
gabletwo.jpg
shirt1.jpg

Thin straps, no fabric in the straps between the edge binding, higher arm openings. Gable's shirt seems to have no ribbing in the fabric at all.

Ah... nevermind. I guess I have plenty else to obsess over... :)
Is there any way to contact the costumers for the recent films to get a source out of them?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
A style no one mentioned

How about the ever stylish string vest.

Were A shirts actually called "wife beaters" back then? I thought that was recent slang.

The Wolf

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Wolf said:
How about the ever stylish string vest.

Were A shirts actually called "wife beaters" back then? I thought that was recent slang.

The Wolf

What's a string vest and
I thought "wife beater" was a modern term also.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yeah...

Speedster said:
Hi Scotrace

Just observe that the Holeproof's are cotton/polyester blend.

Speedster

Saw that when I started looking more closely. The search goes on.

I seldom wear an A shirt but I like them.
Cotton t-shirts under dress shirts are the norm. I find I stay cooler even in hot weather with an undershirt and it adds years to the shirt's life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner