Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How tight should a leather jacket fit?

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
By ”tailored” do you custom or do you mean altering the Shott??

If you go full custom, you are probably looking about $1000 from Johnson. A semi custom Aero cafe racer will be a couple hundred more. Talk to Carrie about getting a test jacket first. The stock size might even be perfect for you.

If you got a great deal on the Shott, you may save only $200-$300 over the cost of JL or Aero.

MattCrush

New in Town
I am built like the OP with a 9in drop and broad shoulders too and have gone through about a dozen “custom” jackets to find a good fit. I’m of the mindset now of buying a stock size that fits in the chest and shoulders and sending it off to Carrie or JL to tailor the torso and hem. It’ll cost you $150-$250 to alter but at least you can return the jacket if you don’t like the style or if it doesn’t fit in the chest/shoulder. It is still cheaper this route than selling the I’ll-fitting custom jacket for a 50% loss. I would probably trust Field Leathers and Thedi to get custom measurements right, but not too confident with the other makers.

Here’s a pic of a size 42 Aero BR that was ordered tapered to a 40 from the factory but was still way too big in the torso. I sent it to Carrie to take another 2” off the torso and hem and now it’s one of my best fitting jackets.

View attachment 562153 View attachment 562154
Could JL have done a custom from the start?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner